Author Topic: Knackered Chamber Lugs???  (Read 702 times)

Offline MeatAxe

Knackered Chamber Lugs???
« on: March 01, 2021, 05:04:58 AM »
Over on arfcom (armory, general firearms, CZ Bren) there are photos recently posted of significant peening damage to the chamber lugs of several different Bren 2 guns — most if not all in the previously vaunted 5.56 caliber.

Looking at the pics, and I’m not trying to cast aspersions, but it looks like most of them are fitted with aftermarket handguards....hmmmm.

Offline ///M5

Re: Knackered Chamber Lugs???
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 07:01:27 AM »
The Bren Carbine has similar mounting to the aftermarket HBI handguards. Only 4 bolts.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Capt Lazzo

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 11:02:06 AM »
thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on mine and report if I see anything. Any idea of the number of rounds through those firearms? I suspect a LOT of Bren 2 have a HBI handguard so I dunno about that. I have a 11" 556 Bren 2 Ms with said handguard torqued to 60lbs and I have not noticed any issues yet. I did look at the bolt a few days ago and did not notice any issues. I have around 350-500 rds through mine without an issue of any kind. That isnt exactly a high round count though so i would be curious to see if anyone with multiple k rounds has had an issue.

Offline Fullassault

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 03:15:25 PM »
I just picked up a Bren 2, that’s a bit Discerning to hear. Has anyone looked as the SN range and dates on the Brens with the issues and the ones without? Would also like to hear from those that already have a Bren 2 , what are your chamber lugs looking like with a round count?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 06:06:01 PM by Fullassault »

Offline Aries144

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »
This could be a bad batch of barrel extensions, with the extensions being a little too soft. It could also be that the carrier is being punched rearward too violently (because the gun is overgassed), causing the bolt to deform the extension lugs as it is pulled rearward harshly during the bolt's unlocking rotation.

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 06:49:21 PM »
I just picked up a Bren 2, that’s a bit Discerning to hear. Has anyone looked as the SN range and dates on the Brens with the issues and the ones without? Would also like to hear from those that already have a Bren 2 , what are your chamber lugs looking like with a round count?

You’d probably have to get on arfcom and ask the people who posted photos. I think they’re all 5.56 guns and they look like most have aftermarket hand guards.

Unfortunately, I’m banned over there for calling some cuck in commiefornia a weenie for gleefully registering all his guns. They’re pretty thin skinned over there. Imagine if I’d called him a poopy head.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 06:27:22 PM »
A good friend of mine took one look and told me what the answer was. BTW, he was a professional gunsmith, working mostly on ARs, back in the day. He said it's the thrust angle of the piston rod that will hold the bolt ever so slightly out of alignment on the return stroke. He then showed me what he was talking about with a Garand, (the stroke is upside down to the BREN, of course), and that some slight wear is normal. Now I did see some of the pictures on Arf, and one of them is REALLY bad, meaning something else is out of whack. My BREN shows slight wear on the top locking lugs, just like the others and exactly where my buddy said they would be. So, slight wear isn't a real issue. I am not a gunsmith, nor do I play one on TV, but I trust, and have trusted this guy, literally, with my life.
I just want an adapter that doesn't wobble....

anything