Author Topic: NAS3 cases and reloading warm rounds in 9mm.  (Read 1941 times)

Offline newageroman

NAS3 cases and reloading warm rounds in 9mm.
« on: March 04, 2021, 02:27:55 PM »
Read an article where these cases are used in 185 gn subs going 900-1000 fps. Whoa that's crazy PF for 9mm! So I ordered the dies and 1k brass we will see how they fly (most likely with 147XTPs and 3N38).
https://s3reload.com/
75B-ZomBullShadow SAO Build (current fav)
SP-01-SAO-compedOpenMajor w/DOT
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: NAS3 cases and reloading warm rounds in 9mm.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 04:08:25 PM »
While the case may handle the pressure it doesn't mean it's a good thing for the pistol.

I'd think that's going to be tough on the lugs of the barrel and receiver slide, tough on the recoil spring(s) and slide lock.

Wouldn't do you much good if the case itself survives and the pistol comes apart in your hand.

should have typed slide, not receiver (was thinking about the post WW2 testing done on the M1 Garand as reported in Hatcher's Book of the Garand)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:18:45 PM by M1A4ME »
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline tdogg

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 05:15:15 PM »
I spoke with a major shooter that reloads those exclusively.  He was getting more reloads per case before tossing them.  One big perk is you can pick them up with a magnet!  Super handy when retrieving your brass.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline newageroman

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 01:05:44 AM »
tdogg's on the money. If I can make major with the RMR bullets seated to mag length in my open gun it will be worth it and not bending over will be the icing.

Did you ever get your ARC barrel Tdogg?
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline George16

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 01:27:00 AM »
tdogg's on the money. If I can make major with the RMR bullets seated to mag length in my open gun it will be worth it and not bending over will be the icing.

What’s preventing you from achieving major PF with RMR bullets seated to mag length in your gun?

Offline tdogg

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 01:41:24 AM »

Did you ever get your ARC barrel Tdogg?

Still waiting...  Spoke with them and they are expecting them this month.  I'm not holding my breath.

Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline newageroman

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 08:01:56 AM »
Brownells sent me an email a week ago that made me laugh out loud.
They said they were canceling my order for the 24" BA barrel - ohh darn.... I cancelled it the DAY I got the BA barrel, months ago.

We'll have all the loads worked out by the time the stick rolls in..
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 08:53:55 AM »
What’s preventing you from achieving major PF with RMR bullets seated to mag length in your gun?

I think it's mainly that the brass is one-time use when you do that. The head of the case will expand to a point where it won't fit the chamber and standard dies can't "re-size" close enough to the rim to correct it.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Ask me about used Dillon reloading equipment.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 01:25:10 PM »
Me really, But I have that goooood fluffy powder that works the comp and shoots great. I have to seat the RMRs a bit deeper and if I have to squish that down even more Id feel better about a stronger case. That's my general line of thinking but I'm up for alternatives (or a magical delivery of the PD124s, I have some left, but hording IS in effect).

Mainly I heard about that new ammo that was like 180PF. I've thought about trying these before, but I think the cost was a lot more when they first came out. I personally think it would be great for the occasional match ammo particularly major PF.
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 06:29:10 PM »
While the case may handle the pressure it doesn't mean it's a good thing for the pistol.

I'd think that's going to be tough on the lugs of the barrel and receiver slide, tough on the recoil spring(s) and slide lock.

Wouldn't do you much good if the case itself survives and the pistol comes apart in your hand.

Exactly why I gave up loading 9x21mm Open Major and went to the .45 ACP in the form of a .45 EAA Witness and went Limited 10 Major.
I also went Limited Minor in a standard 9mm Pistol or shot Production Limited 10.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 10:10:58 AM »
Thanks for posting this question.  I now know more than before.  I've picked up a bunch of these cases at various matches.  No one could tell me anything about them other than the guy shooting them.  He said he gets them from (don't remember the name) who partially sponsors him in matches.  I ended up tossing them when we moved due to not having a clue about them and assuming they were not reloadable.
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »
I have looked and it appears that only the manufacturer and a few military providers are selling these cases and tools currently. That is, they haven't been picked up by Powder Valley, Midway, Grafs, Brownells, or any of the other general reloading sites.

https://www.shellshocktechnologies.com/

Offline newageroman

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 05:05:42 PM »
Well this will be a potential solution to an even great problem. My new Bull Slide has a shorter chamber than any other CZ and thus requires the RMR 125 HP to be seated even deeper in the case for avoid Jamming into the lands. RMR 125 HP COAL of: 1.037” <– this includes the 0.015" buffer.
Still waiting on the cases, Dies are looking at me funny.

I also noticed that some of my rounds may not be getting properly sized (sized down enough, as some of the COALs on these bullets would not plunk for obvious sizing reasons. From no on, match ammo will be cultured with magnets! Now I will KNOW if it was a weird glock case or one from my CZ (assuming glock bois aren't hipster enough to run these shock cases.)

Other Match chamber COALs using this bullet for comparison, please advise/post. thx!
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline newageroman

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 01:53:33 PM »
Well well well - Another Zombie Thread revival here.
So I was at the range Sat and was policing my brass and found about 25 NAAS3 cases. I hot washed them. What should I load them with first?
I have
Bullets:
124 PDs
124 RMR HPS
147 Horn XTPs (only ~ 50)

Powders:
SWMP
CFE pistol

I AM leaning to loading these on the fast side, for the racegun. The one that still needs the comp put back on and secured properly...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:44:38 PM by newageroman »
97B stock for now
SAR copies
..others..

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 04:50:48 PM »
So I was at the range Sat and was policing my brass and found about 25 NAAS3 cases. I hot washed them. What should I load them with first?
How will you resize them, or did they even expand any ?

I am leaning to loading these on the fast side, for the racegun. The one that still needs the comp put back on and secured properly...
That would certainly add a layer of safety to those racegun rounds.