Author Topic: laser for P10s  (Read 660 times)

Offline stevemaher

laser for P10s
« on: March 17, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »
Good Morning,

I ordered a CZ P10s because I like my CZ P07 so much. I order the P10s optics ready and I was wondering if anyone had installed a laser to the P10 subcompact. Your thoughts and experiences would be great. Thank you in advance for any info you might be able to share.

Steve Maher

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: laser for P10s
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 07:54:35 PM »
I have not put a laser on the P10.  I have put a laser (and just ordered another one) to put on M&P Shield 9MM pistols.

Several brands/colors/operational methods out there.

I'm no expert.  I read that green is better than red as it can be seen better in brighter light conditions and at farther distances.  It also costs more than a red laser.

I finally came to the conclusion (after some reading, not trying different types/methods of operating) that I wanted the kind that I didn't have to push a button on to get it to come on.  I have some pistols with no light or laser.  Some pistols with lights.  I don't want to mess up trying to operate something different than what I already have (lights on a P01 and P09 - both lights operate the same as they are made by the same company).

I bought the lasers that come on when you grab the pistol.  No buttons to push, unless I want to turn the laser on so it won't operate when it "senses" my grip on the pistol frame.

Not sure how to tell you what would work best for you so you either decide up front, or buy more than one type and try them to see what you like best. 

Good luck.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline stevemaher

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 08:00:05 PM »
Thanks so much! I totally agree about the benefit of a light or laser coming on when you grip the pistol and the ability to turn that off too. May I ask which brand you bought for the grip activated laser ? Thanks again and best of luck to you! --Steve

Offline Tredlite

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 01:17:42 AM »
Consider the Olight BALDR Mini laser/600 Lumen light combo. I have two of these units. Now the Streamlight and Surefire guys will poo poo it. Why? Because, it isn't MILSPEC. That's why they cost more, because neither company can sell a MILSPEC product cheaper than they are contracted to sell it to military and Govt. Meeting and maintaining an AS9100 quality system is expensive. The extensive testing is expensive. These companies make superior products, and they are expensive. However, civilians don't require MILSPEC products. What we need is something that works perfectly in the environments we live in. Olight products do that. As to the BALDR unit, it has a green laser that is visible in Florida sunlight out beyond 50 yards. It attaches easily, adjusts easily and holds zero. It is rechargeable. Lasers are excellent tools for self defense and training. They reveal any and all motion of the muzzle. They will show if the muzzle moves when you press the trigger. Moreover, you can shoot tight groups at 15 yards... From the hip. Installation is simple. First, change the rail adapter. It comes with an adapter for Glock and 1913 Picatinny rails, but the Glock adapter is installed at the factory. Snap the base into the rail, slide on the light/laser until the on/off switches are adjacent to the trigger guard, and flip the lock lever. Adjust the laser co-witness to the gun's sights at the range you expect to shoot at. Now, go shoot. I have one on my P07 and another on my Canik TP9SF Elite. As to activation by simply grasping the grip... I prefer to turn it on when I want it. Especially in conjunction with the light. I might not want to signal my presence until I'm ready. auto-on is fine for red dots, but not for things that project light or laser. That's a tactical decision each must make for themselves. Just give it careful thought first.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 01:25:26 AM by Tredlite »

Offline stevemaher

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 09:15:33 AM »
Awesome suggestion! I did actually pull the trigger on the STREAMLIGHT TLR-8 a few days back. I got two and I have installed them on the CZ P-07 and CZ-P10s. I haven't zeroed them in yet but install was super easy. You just unscrew the bolt most of the way, slip it on and tighten it back up and that's it. Image below is from the vendor site. Definitely need to read the documentation to learn how to configure it but out of the box, it's a single button push on the rear side of the device to turn it on and the default is light plus laser. My understanding is that you can set a strobe light display in addition to laser and other configs so definitely think about what you need and make a good decision for you and your family based on your unique needs. Good point btw Tredlite; always consider your own situation when making tactical decisions.

Offline Beef

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »
I personally dislike lasers, but if you're set on getting one I would recommend the TLR8A.

NOTE: You will need to shave down one of the mounting plates for the Streamlight in order to get it to fit the P10S due to the difference in rail slot placement between the P10s and C/F.

Offline Phyffe

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 11:55:55 PM »

I use a Baldr Mini on my P10S and it mounts on the 1913 rail just fine (just remember to swap out the adapter since the one that is attached out of the box is for the Glock).

To those that don't like lasers - Why the dislike? I assume you prefer red dots over it?

I get it that competition shooters may want a red dot over a laser, but for a concealed EDC, why not a laser?

Offline stevemaher

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 09:09:14 AM »
From my research, many are against a laser because it can give away your position; you basically give up any advantage you have tactically. Batteries can die and devices can go bad and you end up with no way to aim if you are dependent on the laser. I have thought about that too. I think another reason is that some people may be totally dependent on the laser and not have even a basic iron site aiming skill set and I would agree that one should definitely start with iron sites as a starting point in the learning process. I'm only a few months in on my learning process and I'm starting to lean toward a red dot site with co-witness so I can use iron sites when I want or if the technology part (laser or red dot) fail.

Offline Phyffe

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 10:29:39 AM »
From my research, many are against a laser because it can give away your position; you basically give up any advantage you have tactically. Batteries can die and devices can go bad and you end up with no way to aim if you are dependent on the laser. I have thought about that too. I think another reason is that some people may be totally dependent on the laser and not have even a basic iron site aiming skill set and I would agree that one should definitely start with iron sites as a starting point in the learning process. I'm only a few months in on my learning process and I'm starting to lean toward a red dot site with co-witness so I can use iron sites when I want or if the technology part (laser or red dot) fail.

Hey Steve, thanks for your reply.

I thought about the part about where you give away your position. I don't see much point considering the ranges involved here with a subcompact. Unless I was out to actually take out a target, at any distance where I can be hidden I should be seriously considering de-escalating and escaping a firefight, right?

And the part about where a person depends on the laser as well as the red dot, the tendency to rely on the optic sight over the iron sights is the same as with an optic, isnt it? In fact, with a laser, your iron sights are preserved. A lot of red dot sights do not co-witness or make the iron sights less than  optimal, I would think.

Plus I always think twice when I see people put optics on concealed carry weapons since it increases the printing.

anything