Author Topic: Deer Rifle  (Read 6932 times)

Offline ea1154

Deer Rifle
« on: August 11, 2017, 02:10:39 PM »
I've always been a Sig fan and recently found CZ and now I don't think I'll ever buy another Sig.

CZ handguns are night and day better than sig IMO.  Are the rifles the same?  I sold my Tikka 25-06 to help fund my wedding and now it's time to fill the void.

What are you shooting during deer season?
CZ P-01 (All Steel)
CZ 75 BD Police (Pending a trade)
Sig P220
Sig P938

Ron M.

Re: Deer Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:16:58 PM »
cartridge selection is very dependent on the range I expect to shoot to, game, and if I'll be hunting from a blind or stalking. For 50% of my hunting I know I'm going to have shots of well under 100 yards and mostly stalking, I use my 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 hand load  with a 123gr Hornady SST. For hunts where I plan to shoot from a blind at 75 to 200 yards I use a 7mm-08 hand load with a 140gr Barnes TTSX. When I hunt for Mule Deer or Pronghorn in West Texas and New Mexico I use a 25-05 hand load with a 100gr Barnes TTSX. For elk I use a 340 Weatherby hand load with a 225gr Nosler Partition. For Moose the one hunt I went on I used a 35 Whelen loaded with Double Tap factory 310gr Woodleigh Weldcore.

I'm picking up one of the new Henry single shots in 243 and plan load up some 95gr SSTs to try and find a good hunting load.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:20:52 PM by Ron M. »

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
I'm not deer hunting this fall but my 550 full stock is what I would take. Has a lot of great features, set trigger, not too light, not too heavy, compact for in the cover, action never jams, dang accurate, shoulders and points perfect.

It looks good to but that's not why I take it.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
How big are the deer?  And, how far will you be shooting?

I remember W. TX (Del Rio) back in the early 70's.  A newspaper article, with pictures, of the first day's "kill" brought into the Jolly Meat Packing Plant for processing.  Field dressed those bucks were 90 to 95 lbs.  I knew they were small.  While quail/rabbit hunting when the dogs jumped deer the first thought in my mind was always !!jack rabbits!!, then I'd realize they were really deer.  The size of the deer and the height of the sage brush would fool me at first.

Back in WV, the part we lived in, my first buck field dressed at 185 lbs.  The biggest one I killed (field dressed) spun the dial past the 200 lb. mark at the checking station (200 lbs. was it's limit).  I saw bigger deer.  Saw on one time (sneaking away as my B-I-L thought he was sneaking into his stand) that I first thought was some farmer's cow that had gotten loose and was heading across a reclaimed strip mine.  Then I saw the horns (I was a couple hundred yds. away).  My dad had a big one chase his English setter back to him one day while grouse hunting.  He thought it was an elk at first, then realized it was the biggest white tail he'd ever seen (after deer hunting in MI and ND for over 6 years, the biggest white tail he ever saw was back in the woods in WV).

For the little ones I wouldn't be uncomfortable with a .223.  For the big ones, a .308 (killed mine with my M1A) or 30.06 (I used to carry the bolt action rifles to the woods but never saw a buck when I had one of them with me).

Bigger deer? Use bigger bullets.  My father-in-law killed a lot of bucks in the woods.  He preferred 180 grain bullets in his 30.06 semi-auto rifles.

Overkill works (as we used to say in the Army).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 11:35:11 PM »
  Deer hunting here in Montana I've used everything from handguns to .300 mags. It ALL depends on the RANGE.  In Central MT hunting irrigated hayfields the shots are long, I do no more than 400 yds, with 300 and under far more to my liking. I've used the .257 Roberts, .280 Rem/.280 AI , up to my old pre 64 Win in .300 H&H.

Out west at my Cousins place in the deep woods....a handgun is all You need. Shots tend to be under 50 yds. Or I carry my .338-06 with CAST bullets. Works fine.

Our whitetails can go 175 pounds on the hoof. Muleys a bit bigger.

Michigunner

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
For anything under 100 yards I use my Winchester 94 in 30-30.  Anything over 100 I use my CZ 550 UHR in 300 Win Mag.  In general CZ rifles are insanely accurate and well built.  I had a 527 Varmint in .223 Remington and with match ammo it would shoot 1/2 MOA all day.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 11:13:42 PM »
I'm a Michigander, grew up with a Win 94 lever action with iron sights, deadly to about 100 yrds but quick to shoot if still hunting in the woods, jack pine cut overs.  I graduated to a Weatherby 30 06 bolt action with scope when my hunting grounds changed to more of a stand/blind situation with longer distance shots in farmland for instance.  I probably missed an opportunity in that jack pine cut over up north when I really need the quickness of the open sighted 94!

Just last year I split the difference with a Savage lightweight hunter bolt gun in 6.5 Creedmoor and a rel low power 2x-8x Leopold scope.  At 5.5 lbs and only 20" barrel it's handy in the small box blind AND when on foot.  At least that is the theory.  Health problems might prevent me from using it this season, but my wheel chair bound older sister popped a nice size doe just recently with it so it is broken in!

Sorry, no CZ rifles, but I am tempted to get a side by side shotgun one of these years.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:18:25 PM by Tyerone »

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 06:32:38 PM »
Went to the range to fine tune the Savage.  Easy to group 3 rounds touching at 100 yrds, adjusted for 2" high at 100 with 140gr bullets.  I didn't even have to let the barrel cool down between shots!

Took the 30-30 and grouped nicely at 50 yds.  Man those sights are wide and difficult to use at 100 with my older eyes!  Cased it up when my 3 shots hit below the target at 100.  Not ready for KY windage with it at this point, even if pie plate groups at 100!  Likely will spend some time on stand with the scoped 6.5!!!

Offline POPEYES8548

• BANNED
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »
 Come on fella's If we opened our latest issue of Smoke an Lead Monthly and saw another best deer gitter article, we'd be up until 3a.m. posting each other on what a horrible writer Capt. Jack Magnum is for wasting our precious time on the worlds most over written subject. If you travel to the most remote part of Africa and ask any body over the age of 3 they will not only tell you that you can save water in the desert by burying filled ostrich eggs in the sand , but that the .270 winchester is the all time best!!! (he,he).
because i love you.

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 01:46:48 PM »
ea1154, what rifle did you go with and how did it work out for you? I have been using a Winchester XPR in 270 and really like it. Very accurate. I sometimes get the idea that I want a "nicer" rifle and think about going with a CZ, but the XPR just works so good for me and I really like 270.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 01:56:18 PM »
ea1154, what rifle did you go with and how did it work out for you? I have been using a Winchester XPR in 270 and really like it. Very accurate. I sometimes get the idea that I want a "nicer" rifle and think about going with a CZ, but the XPR just works so good for me and I really like 270.

I doubt we will ever know. He hasn't been online here for 3 years.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.