Author Topic: Selling guns online advice  (Read 1475 times)

Offline bang bang

Re: Selling guns online advice
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 01:54:44 PM »
Yeah person to person makes sense if you can legally do it.

I guess what I’m really asking is 1. is there a risk on PayPal or Venmo/ApplePay that a payment can be clawed back after you send the gun and 2. What steps do people do to research their buyer, provided that the FFL will have to run a background check anyhow? Obviously yes it makes most sense to inform buyers that if they don’t take possession, you will deduct cost of return shipping and original shipping before refunding.

its best to get to the point.  It usually cuts out the BS.

But at one time and this was when PP came out, my bro and friend did some transactions and the other party was able to reverse the charges.  So, for me and what happened back then, i swore not to use PP.  Dont know about Venmo, but thats up to you to do your own due diligence.   

When i sell my toys on GB, my payment method is USPS MO.  Or sometimes i will take a personal check if i know the buyer.  some people say FY to me and just send something else.   I will notify them about what they sent and i will notify them, the toy wont ship until the funds clear my bank.  so far, i havent heard anything back from those that say FY and send something else.   

What it comes down to is COMMUNICATION.  Some people have it and some dont and some will give you the finger.  Im sure if the sides were swapped, they would not be a happy camper, but thats for them to figure out. 

Also, i know that with the cutbacks, alot of the rural USPS were closed and some people have to travel HOURS to get into town.  I get it and if i was to choose, i would have cut some urban USPS offices and keep the rural ones open since there are more urban USPS office for those to use.  But all i ask is for COMMUNICATION.  But i will work with those that try to communicate. 

Its up to you how you want to do things.  Again, its your call. 

I really dont vet the buyer.  I give them time to email questions for the most part.  Some buyers will wait until 15 minutes before the auction ends to contact me, but with my new work schedule, i probably wont be able to respond in time, so they will probably not bid.  Also, all of my auctions are 2+ weeks out too.

to me you have some issues you need to work through.  Im not sure about your end game and what you want to sell.  But have you considered just TRYING to sell/auction off something?  Its not like you MUST do ALL or NOTHING!  JUST TRY!  see how it goes and learn from that.

Also, last comment. Its best to talk directly to the horses mouth when it comes to somethings.  No one is vetted on many boards, so i would keep that in mind.   So if you have questions about "clawing back $$$" from PP/Venmo/Applepay, then i would not be asking on here, but directly from them. 

Then last comments.  you may want to keep in mind too, that things can change.  And that may go for those pay sites.  Im sure they are suppose to notify you, but i dont use them.  But if you are like anyone else or me, you probably toss out those bank notices. And those pay sites may change they way they do things too.  If they notify you is one thing and if you pay attention is another.   

as mentioned... some auctions sites have a rating.  Its not to say you cant get screwed, but i like something more than nothing.  Also, on GB the ratings are between buyer/seller and that auction/sale. 

Remember, everyone starts at 0 too.  if you do, you will start there even for a seller.  And sellers can be scammers too, not just buyers.  So i would try to sell something not so expensive.  If you have any expensive toys, then work your way up to it.  Im willing to give a person a break since ive been there.  But its up to you too.  Ive seen some sellers state "only persons with x good transactions" can bid...ect.

good luck

Online Northern

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 02:30:42 PM »
I appreciate you took time to write all this out but honestly, it’s not very helpful. I’m hoping to hear from others what they do to help increase the chances of a safe and successful transaction.

Just looking for some other perspectives.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 02:37:18 PM by Northern »

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 03:59:02 PM »
I appreciate you took time to write all this out but honestly, it’s not very helpful. I’m hoping to hear from others what they do to help increase the chances of a safe and successful transaction.

Just looking for some other perspectives.

There will always be an element of risk buying or selling online, for example a lost shipment (yours or something you sent to a buyer).

If your worried about accepting electronic payments the answer is simple, don't allow that as a payment method. Specify a USPS Money order and only after you have successfully cashed or deposited it ship the firearm.

I have nearly 500 transactions on the largest auction site. To date I have not received a fraudulent payment. I have had buyers not pay, pay by the wrong method (send a check instead of a money order) and other problems. But so far anyway, I havent had a bogus money order.

Online Northern

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 08:30:21 PM »
Thanks, Crosstimbers. It’s good to know it’s possible to have that many transactions without fraud.

It’s interesting that no one here seems to know specifically how fraud via PayPal/Venmo/ApplePay could happen. Based on the degree of skepticism toward these payment forms, I thought at least someone would have some story or actual knowledge of an issue.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2021, 01:28:04 AM »
Thanks, Crosstimbers. It’s good to know it’s possible to have that many transactions without fraud.

It’s interesting that no one here seems to know specifically how fraud via PayPal/Venmo/ApplePay could happen. Based on the degree of skepticism toward these payment forms, I thought at least someone would have some story or actual knowledge of an issue.

Likely no one experienced a fraud by their use or you would have heard it here.  People are just making sure you understand it may be possible.  I have over 5000 FB on Ebay and yes there have been some glitches. My worst have been lost USPS packages and money orders.  Most but not all where covered by insurance but you wait forever. Ie lost $500 MO I had to send another and wait 4 months for USPS to pay me back.  Quick question since all USPS sending requires a return address why do the NEVER get returned? Have good FB on gun sites also and only one problem and that was from a seller with over 1000 feedback that lied about condition and sent 2 additional mags (not free) that did not fit the gun and I lost the case with GB when he convinced them I ordered the wrong mags when they came with the gun in question.  Always risk, start small and work into it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:05:04 AM by larryflew »
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2021, 05:24:13 AM »

One reason for that is because most people who sell online prefer money orders, and have never accepted payment by those methods. The number of sellers who accept electronic payment is significant, but a definite minority.

Larger sellers (stores that sell online) will usually accept some form of payment by either credit card or occasionally PP.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 05:56:53 AM by crosstimbers »

Online Northern

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 07:41:30 AM »
The tip another friend gave me who sells a lot of bike parts on Craigslist etc. is to accept a PayPal payment, then transfer it to your bank before sending the item. Not sure if this truly secures it but seems wise, similar to waiting until a check clears.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2021, 01:09:47 AM »
The tip another friend gave me who sells a lot of bike parts on Craigslist etc. is to accept a PayPal payment, then transfer it to your bank before sending the item. Not sure if this truly secures it but seems wise, similar to waiting until a check clears.

It really doesn't work well as paythroughthenosepal will take it out of your bank account as you agreed they could do when you signed up.  It used to be easy for a buyer to get PP to give them their money back but PP is MUCH better to sellers now and they don't allow buyer back charges anymore.

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Online Northern

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2021, 07:32:23 AM »
What you describe is possible through buyer protection transactions but not through friends and family, I believe?

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 12:10:40 PM »
What you describe is possible through buyer protection transactions but not through friends and family, I believe?

Correct. No help form PP of any kind on F&F.

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70