Author Topic: New to working with sights. Tips?  (Read 771 times)

Offline 415Shooter

New to working with sights. Tips?
« on: March 25, 2021, 08:10:31 PM »
Hi CZ friends.   I recently ordered a Tritium sight set for my P-09.   

I could just send it off this this kind soul.  But I'm more a fan of DIY, as long as it's difficult to mess things up too badly.  I like to use tools and learn how things work.  I didn't get a dedicated sight tool and plan to do this by hand with a basic gunsmithing kit.

Knowing that I can trust everything I see on YouTube and read on the internet, I thought I'd check in with you all to see if there are any tips or warnings you recommend before, during, and after my upgrade.  In particular, is there anything you've seen folks doing online that you advise against?

The other thing I've been wondering is - what's the best way to be sure I've got the lateral alignment correct? 

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience.
Shadow 2, P-09, P-10 F, P-07, P-10 C

Offline eastman

Re: New to working with sights. Tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 08:24:25 PM »
I use a laser bore-sighter to align the rear sight on pistols. I have the Cabela's in barrel version (uses an adjustable bushing to fit a range of bore sizes).

I bought an inexpensive sight pusher from NCStar and it has worked well for me.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline 415Shooter

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 08:35:24 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

I use a laser bore-sighter to align the rear sight on pistols. I have the Cabela's in barrel version (uses an adjustable bushing to fit a range of bore sizes).

I bought an inexpensive sight pusher from NCStar and it has worked well for me.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 01:17:43 AM »
I don't have a P09 but have changed numerous sights with hand tools on CZ's.  Eastman's bore sight trick is an excellent idea but in the end you have to shoot it to verify point of impact and drift it to correct as needed (assuming you don't have an adjustable sight).  I've actually taken tools to the range to correct it on the spot.

I like the polymer tip punch you get with dawson sights but a good brass punch will also do the trick.  Plenty of tape on the surfaces will minimize chances of finish damage.

Fitting the sights is also important.  I sand/stone the bottom of the sights to ensure they will slide about 50% into the dovetail.  Degrease everything once fitted and drive it home.  I don't loctite the set screws until I've confirmed them at the range.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline 415Shooter

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 05:11:37 AM »
I don't have a P09 but have changed numerous sights with hand tools on CZ's.  Eastman's bore sight trick is an excellent idea but in the end you have to shoot it to verify point of impact and drift it to correct as needed (assuming you don't have an adjustable sight).  I've actually taken tools to the range to correct it on the spot.

I like the polymer tip punch you get with dawson sights but a good brass punch will also do the trick.  Plenty of tape on the surfaces will minimize chances of finish damage.

Fitting the sights is also important.  I sand/stone the bottom of the sights to ensure they will slide about 50% into the dovetail.  Degrease everything once fitted and drive it home.  I don't loctite the set screws until I've confirmed them at the range.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Toby

Great tip on the sanding until a 50% fit.  Thank you for your tips!