Author Topic: P-01 CGW Pro Package install  (Read 7652 times)

Offline downtown0309

P-01 CGW Pro Package install
« on: April 18, 2021, 10:12:44 PM »
I'm considering getting the CGW Pro package for my P-01. I plan on installing it myself to learn more of the gun. Is there a specific install video that is better than others to help me through this. Is the SP-01 install videos the same as the P-01? Also, other than the starter punch, any other things I should get with the kit? Thanks in advance.

Offline Fuzzy Sights

• > Dirt
Re: P-01 CGW Pro Package install
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 10:28:53 PM »
Believe CGW has one on their web site.  There are a number out there.  SP-01 is a bit different but not by a lot.

Wish you the best.  I did one on my P-07 and it worked out fine. 

Good luck.

JW
Vivat et res publica!

Think of me as a Newbee who types a lot.

Offline SEAKPhotog

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 02:11:32 PM »
I'm considering getting the CGW Pro package for my P-01. I plan on installing it myself to learn more of the gun. Is there a specific install video that is better than others to help me through this. Is the SP-01 install videos the same as the P-01? Also, other than the starter punch, any other things I should get with the kit? Thanks in advance.

I think that's a great idea.  It's how I learned my CZs and also a great way to become self sufficient at tweaking them. Buy a set of punches, both standard and roll pin.  I find tiny flathead jeweler's screw drivers handy.  A set of straight and angled tweezers is helpful. A cheap dental tool set from Amazon is also really helpful as well (the different angled picks are great for manipulating springs, etc.).  Hammer with nylon and metal heads. Bench block (or roll of tape) but a bench block with magnetic sides is nice to have. Oh, and sanding/polishing pads or dremel sanding and polishing bits. I use mostly pads cause I like doing stuff by feel.  I'll post a link in a bit. There are a ton of really great videos out there on YT.  I have to run but I'll revisit and post some of my faves.  Is your P01 a safety or decocker? Oh and check the gunsmithing sub forum here - crazy helpful!

Offline downtown0309

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 04:26:37 PM »
It's a decocker and I have all the tools you mentioned. From what I understand, you don't have to take apart the sear cluster. Is that correct?

Offline SEAKPhotog

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 07:22:09 PM »
You'll have to at least partially disassemble the sear cage to install the lifter arm. I'll link to a video that makes it pretty easy (if I can do it without too much trouble anyone can). If you want to polish it for the best action possible you'll definitely want to disassemble the sear cage.  Order a few extra lifter springs (they're cheap) - they're crazy tiny and easy to lose and have a habit of shooting across the room never to be found when installing them (a good reason to wear safety glasses as well).  Here are some good YT vids:

The best video re: decocker sear cage fun that makes it pretty simple and easy:

This guy has great videos on disassembly and reassembly of SP01 decocker but it's very similar to the P01:

Apex Tactical's useful video:

MCarbo has a great video as well:

Without a doubt, the best way to install a trigger spring (with needlenose pliers):

Here's the mega thread on polishing here on the forums: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42537.0

The sanding/polishing pads I use: https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Mesh-Assortment-Pack-18-Pieces/dp/B00HJC156U/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=micro+mesh&qid=1618874326&s=automotive&sr=1-2-catcorr

And sticks: https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Mesh-MICRO-4N0000V-Colored-Sanding/dp/B003ELIO0A/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=micro+mesh+sticks&qid=1618874406&sr=8-2

Offline downtown0309

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »
SEAKPhotog, you info is priceless, thank you !!!!

Offline SEAKPhotog

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 12:33:27 PM »

Glad to help.  Once I polished and installed my first pro kit (in my 97 BD) it gave me the confidence to work on any gun that comes my way.  I've stripped down all my CZs to their parts and polished them and have installed CGW pro kits, an MCarbo/CGW mixed bag of parts in one, have done extensive work on a Beretta clone, my 1911, have replaced assorted triggers and springs and parts in my P10c and PPQs and I'm about to tear apart and rebuild a Browning Hi Power clone that arrived yesterday (already have the trigger assembly out).  It's a lot of fun.

Offline SEAKPhotog

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 12:48:40 PM »

Forgot this guy's CZ vids.  Here's an example.  Some useful, practical stuff:

Offline SEAKPhotog

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 12:49:35 PM »

Forgot this guy's CZ vids.  Here's an example.  Some useful, practical stuff:

Offline downtown0309

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 09:02:32 PM »
Any tips on removing the staked hammer pins?

Offline steppingcrane

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 10:22:06 PM »
As said above, get an extra l-spring (or two), the starter punch will help greatly with the staked hammer pins.  I did it with and without a starter punch and the starter punch will make easy quick work of them and a good tool to have anyways.  Also, get the decocker slave pin for decockers to hold the sear cage together.  (I accidently got two slave pins, but that actually came in really handy as sometimes you might over punch the slave pin and you don't want to drive it back due to possibly breaking the lifter spring, so the second slave pin can .be used to go in again to repeat the process quickly and safely.

Offline DMY

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 12:04:03 AM »
I'll reiterate one tip to remove a staked hammer pin from another YouTube video. Use a metal "block" on a concrete slab. I made due with an old lug nut on the slab, a nail punch, and framing hammer. Came out easily on the 4th strike. The first 3 strikes started off light, then increased the amount of force after confirming that I wasn't damaging my hammer.

Offline SEAKPhotog

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »
Any tips on removing the staked hammer pins?

Oh yeah, good point - that was by far the hardest part of the whole process.  I've just used both a vice and repeated whacks with a punch and hammer and small steel plate with a hole in it and repeated whacks with punch and hammer.  Frankly, I think it's easier and less stressful to just buy the parts new and keep the old hammer and strut as a spare.

Offline downtown0309

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 05:13:00 PM »
OK, so I dont have the spare cash to get the package yet , but after shooting it the other day I knew I had to get rid of that "combat" trigger. I ordered the Old Style trigger from CGW and installed it following their tutorial and my gun is now only single action. It freaked me out thinking I messed something up so I took it out and reinstalled the old trigger and it's back to normal. What did I do wrong?

Offline Tok36

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 06:19:05 PM »
OK, so I dont have the spare cash to get the package yet , but after shooting it the other day I knew I had to get rid of that "combat" trigger. I ordered the Old Style trigger from CGW and installed it following their tutorial and my gun is now only single action. It freaked me out thinking I messed something up so I took it out and reinstalled the old trigger and it's back to normal. What did I do wrong?

Did you remove the set screws from the CGW Old Style trigger? The forward set scerw, located at the top of the Trigger is used to limit the forward Trigger travel in Double Action. This upper set scerw is used with the CGW Reach Reduction Kit (RRK). Without the RRK installed the upper set scerw may not be used.

Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

anything