Author Topic: where can I get pre B magazines?  (Read 3446 times)

Offline nuclear armed hog

where can I get pre B magazines?
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:56:58 PM »
Seems like theyre gone every where and not coming back? what's the deal? I just need 2 or 3 to use with my short rail. Anyone got any leads?

Offline alp3367

Re: where can I get pre B magazines?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 05:18:15 PM »
 They were officially dropped from the price list this year. Though they haven't been shipped since last summer. Your best bet is to keep an eye out on GunBroker and similar sites. You may try emailing CZ custom as they were a big purchaser of pre b stuff. Good luck in your search.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 10:39:46 PM »
welcome,

to answer your question, i dont know.  Also dont have a short rail either....

you dont say where you are from, but ...

> if you have any gun shows in your area, you may want to take your CZ and try various mags.

> or if you have any gun shops in your area, you may want to do the same.

> if you have any gun friends with CZs, you can also ask them too.  Friends are great resources...

> you may want to remove your grips and see if those are causing any issues...

> just an fyi, on my pre-Bs, i found that some of the larger cap +16 mags would fit, but i would again, take teh gun and try.  If you have any other mags, you could try them too.

good luck

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 01:46:53 AM »
I have always had good results with the "aftermarket" Mec-Gar CZ 75 mags in Type A pistols.  These live in a weird niche.  Mec-Gar became the OEM supplier for CZ-UB at some point (probably @ 2004).  Mec-Gar has always had a policy (probably dictated by the firearms manufacturers) that they don't offer "aftermarket" mags when they become the OEM supplier for that manufacturer.  The very best 75/85 series mags were "aftermarket" Mec-Gar magazines available in the 90's-early 2000's.  They have the "Mec-Gar" logo on the mag body, and they will also be marked "MG-CZ75-9MM" near the base plate.  These seem to work equally well in Type As, Type Bs, and Transitional pistols.  They don't work as well in the very early pistols. but to be fair, even the OEM Czech magazines have some hiccups in these pistols.  The only "magazine sensitive" pistol I have owned was a 1982 Frankonia.  Even my Bauska likes the Mec-Gars I have described. 
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 06:32:21 AM »
  Mec-Gar has always had a policy (probably dictated by the firearms manufacturers) that they don't offer "aftermarket" mags when they become the OEM supplier for that manufacturer.  The very best 75/85 series mags were "aftermarket" Mec-Gar magazines available in the 90's-early 2000's.  They have the "Mec-Gar" logo on the mag body, and they will also be marked "MG-CZ75-9MM" near the base plate. 
Mec-Gars are readily available for the B series guns at half the cost of the ones they supply to CZ and they are still the best mag on the market for CZ pistols. There's no restriction on Mec-Gar making the mags for the B guns even though they supply the factory mags as well but for some reason they are restricted on the mags for the polymer guns P-07/09 and the new P10 line up.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 04:29:06 AM »
  Mec-Gar has always had a policy (probably dictated by the firearms manufacturers) that they don't offer "aftermarket" mags when they become the OEM supplier for that manufacturer.  The very best 75/85 series mags were "aftermarket" Mec-Gar magazines available in the 90's-early 2000's.  They have the "Mec-Gar" logo on the mag body, and they will also be marked "MG-CZ75-9MM" near the base plate. 
Mec-Gars are readily available for the B series guns at half the cost of the ones they supply to CZ and they are still the best mag on the market for CZ pistols. There's no restriction on Mec-Gar making the mags for the B guns even though they supply the factory mags as well but for some reason they are restricted on the mags for the polymer guns P-07/09 and the new P10 line up.

Where can I get these mags?  Never seen cheap "aftermarket" Mec-Gar magazines after 2004 or so. 

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 05:12:08 AM »

Where can I get these mags?  Never seen cheap "aftermarket" Mec-Gar magazines after 2004 or so.
Seriously? Greg Cote LLC for starters. If he doesn't have them in stock you can get on the email list. I just snagged some 15 round compact mags for $24 each a few weeks back. Anytime I'm looking for mags for anything I check Greg's site first. There are many places that carry them such as Midway USA but alot of retailers are out of stock with the shortages going on now.
Currently Greg Cote does show standard CZ75B 16 rnd Mec-Gar mags in stock @ $21.95 each and that is a darn good price in the current market.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:32:11 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline HEMI_2013

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 03:51:08 PM »
Not knowing which pre-b gun the mag is for, yet I'll take a shot here since I had just found mag to fit my pre-B Tanfoglio TA90.  Mec-Gar MGWIT9SFAFC  Witness 9mm small frame/17rd. The poly base, you may have to sand off approx 1/16th inch for it to fit/lock in. If you have a compact, then the Mec-Gar MGCZ7516B cz75B 9mm 16rd just may fit...on my TA90, with base off, it sits flush (1/16th inch too short).......another possible, is the EAA #101900 ......supposed to be for the Pre-B small frame (9mm 16rd)

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 04:12:05 AM »

Seriously? Greg Cote LLC for starters. If he doesn't have them in stock you can get on the email list. I just snagged some 15 round compact mags for $24 each a few weeks back. Anytime I'm looking for mags for anything I check Greg's site first. There are many places that carry them such as Midway USA but alot of retailers are out of stock with the shortages going on now.
Currently Greg Cote does show standard CZ75B 16 rnd Mec-Gar mags in stock @ $21.95 each and that is a darn good price in the current market.

I just realized that we may not be talking about the same magazines.  The magazine I am referring to is originally intended for Type As, and it only holds 15 rounds of 9mm.  Even if you change the follower and spring, it only holds 15 rounds of 9mm.  I bought all of mine in 2001.  That said, I just assumed that Greg Cole, CDNN, etc. were selling "factory" magazines at a lower profit margin.  "Aftermarket" Mec-Gar magazines used to very economical.  For example, they used to sell an aftermarket 8 round 1911 magazine for $5 @2000-2002 that can't be obtained at all, anymore.   My distinction between "aftermarket" and "factory" could be entirely ephemeral, but these 75 mags seem to be different, with a slightly different catch for the mag release. 

Offline HEMI_2013

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 03:03:31 PM »
I've discovered the variety as well. In fact, my EAA 16rd  #101900 came in today, and of course, side stamped mec-gar WIT 9MM SF.... ughhh , needless to say...it didn't fit! Poly base preventing the mag from fully inserting and locking in. Lol. Its like "c'mon man!" LOL.  So, either I sand down the poly base...or put the cz75 B mags internals and metal base into it....which is what I'm going to do actually. My TA90 preB (1988-1989) has original 15rd mag.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 01:44:33 AM »
Not knowing which pre-b gun the mag is for, yet I'll take a shot here since I had just found mag to fit my pre-B Tanfoglio TA90.  Mec-Gar MGWIT9SFAFC  Witness 9mm small frame/17rd. The poly base, you may have to sand off approx 1/16th inch for it to fit/lock in. If you have a compact, then the Mec-Gar MGCZ7516B cz75B 9mm 16rd just may fit...on my TA90, with base off, it sits flush (1/16th inch too short).......another possible, is the EAA #101900 ......supposed to be for the Pre-B small frame (9mm 16rd)

I'm not a engineer, by any sort of standard.  IMI Baby Eagles, '90's Tanfoglios, and '90's CZs, are supposed to be interchangeable with magazines.  Based on my experience, the will all WORK, but they are not truly interchangeable.  I am in the process of replacing a magazine catch on a 1994 Transitional that was worn prematurely from using Tanfoglio magazines.  (When I bought it, it came with 2 Tanfoglio magazines). 

Offline REAinPA

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 06:28:29 PM »
From the Greg Cote site:

The magazines aren't compatible in the pre B CZ 75. I have the CZ 75 Pre-B 16 round factory magazine if you need those. They also don't work in the CZ Custom SP-01 pistols with the magwell, the magazines tube is too short.

The CZ 75 PRE-B MAGAZINES HAVE A SQUARE CUT NOTCH IN THE REAR OF THE MAGAZINE TUBE BEHIND THE FOLLOWER. THE CZ 75B MAGAZINES HAVE A MORE U SHAPED CUTOUT. CZ 75 PRE-B MAGAZINES WILL FIT AND FUNCTION FINE IN THE CZ 75B. THE CZ 75B MAGAZINES ARE A LITTLE WIDER AND WON'T FIT PROPERLY IN THE CZ 75 PRE-B. THE CZ 75B MAGAZINES ARE A LITTLE WIDER AND THEY WILL BE TOO LARGE TO INSERT INTO THE MAGAZINE WELL (TOO TIGHT OF A FIT).