Author Topic: How to remove TSO original bushing for new 10X bushing?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline mld3021

How to remove TSO original bushing for new 10X bushing?
« on: April 23, 2021, 06:50:06 PM »
Ordered new 10X CGW bushing for new TSO. Called CGW and they said I’d have to remove front sight and some fitting might be required. Suggested I take it to local gunsmith if I wasn’t comfortable. I’m mechanically disinclined and didn’t want to bugger up the gun, so took it to LGS gunsmith.  He’s very experienced and competent.
He can’t get the original bushing out, says it’s “pressed” into place, and he will need to make a special tool to remove it which will be expensive.
He wants me to ship it to CGW which seems unnecessary.
Many of you have done this. What can I tell him, or can you point me to a tool, video, instructions, anything to help him?
I’m positive this question has been asked innumerable times and so my apologies,  but quick, lazy search didn’t reveal an easy answer.
BTW, the TSO is awesome, best pistol I’ve ever shot by a bunch, and I’m a lunatic for trying to improve it.

Offline timmy75

Re: How to remove TSO original bushing for new 10X bushing?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 12:29:31 AM »
You should use search function

Just posting my experience and bringing this up from the dead in case some poor guy is searching how to do this at midnight like I was.

I've done this 3 times before but forgot the details and struggled until I remembered... So here are my hints.

Several of the 3 were extremely difficult to remove.

Pre-work - remove the front sight roll pin.

Stuff you'll need:
*  Get an 11mm socket with a 1/4 drive (that's the small square drive). The reason for this specific size is that it is small enough to pass through the slide but will get caught in the barrel bushing. The purpose is to knock the bushing out of the front of the slide using the socket as your contact point. (See pic #1. The socket just barely fits inside the bushing)

*  Get some 1/4 extensions. You'll need at least 6 inches. I recommend 12 to 16 so it sticks way out of the gun and you don't stand a chance to whack the slide with a hammer as you start pounding away. (See pic #4 for why you need the length)

*  Get a heavy hammer. Not a gunsmithing hammer. One for pounding nails or larger if you have a difficult bushing.

*  Take a piece of wood (a 2x4 is fine) and drill a 3/4 hole through it. You'll hold the slide vertically against this piece of wood as you knock the bushing out. The hole is for the bushing to pass into it. It also protects the finish of the slide.

Steps:
1. Insert the socket into the slide with the square side TOWARDS the muzzle. The large open cavity of the socket should face the rear of the slide. You do this because the extensions you insert can go in at a greater angle so your extension doesn't touch the slide and cause damage.

2. Insert the extensions into the socket from the rear of the slide towards the front.

3. IMPORTANT : put the wood on a hard surface. This is where I forgot and it took me 45 min to remember. I was banging away on my solid wood workbench making zero progress. The bench absorbed too much of the impact. I moved my block to the concrete floor or my basement and I had the bushing out in 30 seconds.

4. Place the bushing over the hole that you cut in your piece if wood. Support the slide vertically. Also hold the  extensions in the same hand

9. Take your big hammer and hit the top of the extensions. Try and take up all the slack in the extensions before you hit it. You don't want things to jump around once you make contact.

You may need some serious whacks to get your bushing out. No seriously. If yours is in there tight it'll take some force.

The biggest factors for me in doing this successfully are:

1. Block of wood with 3/4" hole
2. Putting the block on concrete
3. Putting the socket with the drive side down towards the muzzle.

Good luck.
Here is how the extension and socket should be set up (with the socket essentially upside down)

The hole in the wood

The slide covering the hole with the bushing ready to drop into it

Ready to whack

Offline George16

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 09:18:16 AM »
I also highly recommend putting the replacement bushing in the freezer so it’ll be easier to install it. I put the CGW bushing in the freezer overnight before installing it on my shadow 2.

My TSO didn’t need it so no need to waste money.

Offline Fuzzy Sights

• > Dirt
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 03:16:51 PM »
I would not install it until it was needed.  If your pistol is already performing above your expectations would spend more money on ammo or maybe a class.  You will find greater improvement for the dollar.  Have only 1 75 SA that needs a new bushing as it has a habit of pushing one in 7 rounds in the 8 ring at 9 0clock.  I thought it was me until I let a much better shooter use it and it did the same thing.  Only thing we could find was the barrel was a little loose at the muzzle.

Good luck with yours.  I would not change what is working well.

JW
Vivat et res publica!

Think of me as a Newbee who types a lot.

Offline mld3021

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 04:26:59 PM »
Thanks. I’m persuaded to not install the new bushing now. Gun is so accurate as is, a shooter of my skill would never know the difference.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 08:42:21 AM »
I have a TSO and did not install the 10x bushing.

However all my other CZ's have it.

I have never frozen a bushing prior to install. I just line it up and tap with a plastic hammer. I've done maybe 15+ and never run into an issue.

If you have a spare 10x bushing, I think you need to buy another CZ to put around it.

Offline mld3021

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 02:34:31 PM »
I like this answer. Have a 75 B SA that could use a new bushing!

Offline jdgray

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 07:56:21 PM »
Anybody else's barrel very hard to install, remove, after installing the 10X-bushing?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 08:09:51 PM »
Anybody else's barrel very hard to install, remove, after installing the 10X-bushing?
Yes, this is normal. It's a tight fit by design.