Author Topic: CZ Shadow 2 DA/SA - USPSA  (Read 3276 times)

Offline gressang

CZ Shadow 2 DA/SA - USPSA
« on: May 01, 2021, 10:15:22 PM »
In USPSA, is Open the only division I can run my DA/SA Shadow 2 + red dot cocked and locked?

Offline 2morechains

Re: CZ Shadow 2 DA/SA - USPSA
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 11:30:55 PM »
If I understand your question, the only two USPSA divisions you can run a Shadow 2 with red dot optics are Carry Optics and Open. 

However to meet the division requirements for Carry Optics you have to start with the gun in DA mode with hammer down and DA first pull, not cocked & locked.  So to run your Shadow 2 in condition 1 (hammer back, round chambered, and safety on) you’d have to compete in Open division. 

Just curious, why not run it in DA/SA mode and compete in Carry Optics?  That gun is well suited to that division, and one of the more popular configurations at the 2020 Carry Optics USPSA Nationals. 

Offline gressang

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 07:47:50 AM »
Thank you. I am not used to making the transition from DA to SA, but am sure I could do that. The single action trigger is so good that I would like to use it every time.

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 10:04:07 PM »
Getting used to DA/SA takes some practice for sure, but it’s worth it IMO. 

Open division allows major power factor scoring, and the guns intended for that division are designed for the  higher velocity and pressures of 9mm major (1,320 fps with a 125 gr bullet).  I’m not sure the Shadow 2 could handle that long term and is designed for 9mm minor power factor (1,000 fps with a 125 gr bullet).  That being the case, you’d be at a scoring disadvantage going up against those guys while shooting minor. 

Open division also allows use of a compensator, which would be another disadvantage of shooting a Shadow 2 in Open division (unless you got a threaded barrel and comp).  Open also allows magazines that are 170mm in overall length holding 28-30 rnds.

Meanwhile, Carry Optics division only recognizes minor power factor, does not allow a compensator, and allows magazines up to 140mm in length for which there are plenty of manufacturers who make mag extensions that convert a 17 rnd MecGar mag to 23 rnds.  The only catch is, the gun must be DA/SA or striker fired. 

Embrace the DA!  It’s usually only one pull per stage (or sometimes 2 or 3 if shooting a standards ex stage). 

Offline flatsixfan

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 07:31:08 PM »
Definitely concentrate on using your S2 OR in USPSA Carry Optics!

I also just made the transition from 1911/2011 style triggers to a new CZ Shadow 2 Orange for USPSA Production!  You can overcome the DA/SA transition with PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!  The rewards will be well worth the effort!

[size=78%][/size]

anything