Author Topic: Scored an in stock VZ58. Questions inside.  (Read 3109 times)

Offline 357MAGNOLE

Re: Scored an in stock VZ58. Questions inside.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 09:56:01 AM »
Okay excellent!

At a minimum I can polish all the contact points with some polish and dremel.
USN 2006-Present
CZ 455 Varmit Evolution .22 LR
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
CZ 512 .22 WMR
Cajunized P-09

Offline 357MAGNOLE

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 10:00:27 AM »
Another question for those of you with experience. Can I utilize the beaver barf up front instead of the polymer hand guards that come stock? Do I need to order the entire assembly or just the wood pieces? I guess what I'm asking is do the factory Handguard metal pieces come apart like the old school wood ones? Is everything the same dimensions?
USN 2006-Present
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
CZ 512 .22 WMR
Cajunized P-09

Offline RSR

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 07:46:32 PM »
There is a 922r question w/ front handguard.

Highly recommend buying assembled components for the upper handguard portion.  Changing them out can be difficult.  OE upper handguards inner components are all the same.

Offline PLANofMAN

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 03:03:59 PM »
Yeah, forgot about that. You are going to run into some issues with 922r compliance with your carbine if you want to take it old school military. CZ uses 2 922r compliant parts in the magazine, so you cannot use mil-surplus magazines with it without violating 922r, unless you replace the floorplate and follower in the magazines.

One thing you'll want to do right away is replace the gas piston with a 922r one. That's an easy way to get one 922r part.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2021, 03:21:18 PM »
No problem. I'll probably add as many quality American made parts as I can.

Personally I think 922r is a little ridiculous.  But I know right now we got to watch out for ourselves. Appreciate the reminders for sure.
USN 2006-Present
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
CZ 512 .22 WMR
Cajunized P-09

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 04:40:38 PM »
Yeah, forgot about that. You are going to run into some issues with 922r compliance with your carbine if you want to take it old school military. CZ uses 2 922r compliant parts in the magazine, so you cannot use mil-surplus magazines with it without violating 922r, unless you replace the floorplate and follower in the magazines.

One thing you'll want to do right away is replace the gas piston with a 922r one. That's an easy way to get one 922r part.

I don’t know of anybody with a US-made gas piston for the Vz58 anymore. Czechpoint doesn’t have one and for some stupid reason, CNC Warrior stopped making theirs some time ago.

Online Laufer

• Retired from air transport business.
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2021, 05:57:54 PM »
Just a reminder:

—nothing— in the 922r regulations requires Any Gun Component to state “Made in the US”, or anything similar.

It’s a non-issue.

Mishaco , in one of his “human gun encyclopedia” videos- describes how ATF agents he tried to talk to about this topic didn’t want to be bothered with any question related to it.
That was comical. :)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 06:53:21 PM by Laufer »

Offline RSR

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 10:51:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on w/ CNCW.  They'd be ahead to license their IP/rent their CNC files to some shop that can produce so that they can sell through store rather than whatever they're doing. 

Traditionally, they've done gun stuff when their main business was slow, but guess they haven't had a need recently...

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 05:13:52 AM »

And what parts should I keep on hand? Anything known to be high failure? Firing pin, bolt?

I've seen reports of strikers cracking.  It would be good to have a couple extra of those.  Same for the firing pin. 

I've had two bolts -- in two separate rifles -- have the narrower front lug shear off.  Each was after about 2,000 round counts (my rounds), but the true count is unknowable as these are military surplus parts.  Mine were in VZ2008's, but after this happened the first time I scoured the Internet and found three other such occurrences:  Two were from Canadian versions and one from a Czech point (I believe that post is still on this forum).  It could have been misalignment in my two separate rifles, or it could have been metal fatigue from substantial use and abuse in military service and automatic fire. 

So... getting at least one extra bolt is probably a good idea.  If you do, check the headspace.  If you're lucky, it should be a straight swap.  If you're not so lucky, you've got three factors that affect headspace:  The carrier, the bolt, and the locking piece.  The locking piece has the most effect.  The problem is that it's impossible to determine how each individual locking piece will affect headspace.  The stamped and scribed numbers have no consistency, making it impossible to "order" the correct one.  Pretty much keep buying them until one makes everything fit.

If you're going to be taking yours apart at all, it's a good idea to have a collection of the tiny springs and plungers.  Numrich's is a good source:  https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=vz%2058&page=1

So is Clearview Investments:
https://www.clearviewinvest.com/vz58.aspx

There are a few other places.  Ebay from time-to-time has a lot of spare parts, but that seems to have dried up recently.