Author Topic: what type of optic/scope to use on a CZ 457 American 22 mwr  (Read 744 times)

Offline nrmbnt

Hello All,
I am brand new to shooting, and getting started upon the recommendation of a friend, with a CZ 457 American 22 mag rifle.  I would like suggestions on what type of sight/optic/scope to put on it.  I would be using local ranges here in Suffolk County NY and from what I can find, will range from 25 to 200 yard ranges.  Indoors would be only 50 feet...?
Thanks!

Offline czsuby

Re: what type of optic/scope to use on a CZ 457 American 22 mwr
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 12:21:56 PM »
Welcome from South Carolina.

Offline WVSurveyor

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00794LKMW?tag=rimfirescopes-20

This Vortex 2-7X is what I have on my .22 mag which is a CZ 512. I hunt varmints with the rifle and the scope works well.
Mountaineers are always free.

Offline nrmbnt

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 01:28:27 PM »
Thank you!

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 03:54:40 PM »
 I used a Vortex Crossfire II 4-18X44 that I had laying around on my new 457 MTR.  At first it looked like it was a too large for the rifle but I changed my mind after firing it with target grade ammo. I bore sighted it with a laser cartridge before going to the range then it only took 5 rounds to zero. I haven't fired it past 75 yards yet but I think the rifle and the scope are keepers. The trigger out of the box measured 2 lb. 7 oz. and is very nice I'm thinking about adjusting down to 2 pounds after it's broken in.

Offline nrmbnt

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 06:44:44 PM »
Thanks. When i say I'm new to this, i mean first timer. I'm time I'll understand all your spec descriptions. I do know that is rather spend more for quality up front than wasting money on something less expensive and less quality and then buying better after a bit. Thanks again!

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 01:58:50 PM »
 nrmbnt I know plenty of guys that spend more money for a rifle scope than they do on the car they drive. I'm not that guy the Vortex Crossfire II scope I use is a sub $200 scope  mounted on a $650 rifle. When I first started carrying a pistol for self defense I ended up with a box full holsters before I found the right one.  I did the same thing with red dot sights and rifle scopes don't be like me. You can find plenty of good info. on this forum free for the asking. I hope you enjoy you new rifle you made a good choice.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 07:57:05 PM by lewmed, Reason: miss spelling »

Offline nrmbnt

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 04:28:43 PM »
Thank you for your input!  Glad to hear that my first purchase of a rifle was a good choice.  I am going to go with the Vortex after deliberating about possibly a Leupold, but all what I'm reading about Vortex brand and considering the rifle will have shortly, Vortex seems the smart choice.  Thanks again!

Offline BillG56

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 12:17:54 AM »
I have a different perspective on scopes from what has been stated thus far.  I have owned (2) Vortex scopes in the past.  I found them to be lacking in clarity and were dark.  These were in the mid-range of their offerings.  Their warranty is top notch however.  Their current top of the line scopes are supposed to be very nice also.

I am a big fan of the mid to higher end Athlon scopes.  Many are made in China but don't let that scare you off.  The clarity is very good, the turrets are repeatable with positive clicks.  The (2) I have personally owned are a Midas Tac 6-24x50 and Ares ETR 4.5-30x56.  Both were used/to be used on .22lr target rifles.  I sold the Ares ETR b/c I needed the money, bought a Midas Tac for the same use only b/c I couldn't afford the ETR at this time.  Some of their lower end ($400ish) scopes get great reviews too.  In scopes, you get what you pay for.  Don't forget about buying used either.

So yeah, definitely, it's buy once, cry once unless you're really a super scope snob.