Author Topic: Lead...whoops  (Read 319 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Lead...whoops
« on: May 14, 2021, 06:10:38 PM »
A buddy said he was buying me 60 pounds of lead for casting, proudly saying it's 98% lead, 2% antimony. No tin. Tin is $18 a pound. This is gonna be interesting to get 6% tin...

Offline noylj

Re: Lead...whoops
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 01:58:04 AM »
Tin, in terms of casting bullets, is there for lowering surface tension so mold fills completely. 1-2% is all you need. I found 10-13 BHN to work great in all pistols, including 44 Mag. For rifles going over 1700 fps, I used gas checks. Bullet fit is critical. Exact alloy is almost insignificant compared to fit

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 05:39:59 AM »
A buddy said he was buying me 60 pounds of lead for casting, proudly saying it's 98% lead, 2% antimony. No tin. Tin is $18 a pound. This is gonna be interesting to get 6% tin...
That's a great alloy for black powder loads right there. I've used pure wheel weight metal in the past for lower velocity handgun loads  with great results but that has gotten harder to come by in the past several years. I like linotype real well these days and it's great for moderate velocity magnum pistol loads and causes no leading. I don't ever load full bore magnums with cast bullets so the linotype is perfect and still easy to get.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 03:04:28 PM »
I've been casting for about 15 years now and 92/6/2 has been the most consistent fill out for me so far. With less than 6% in Lee molds I didn't get the fill out I was looking for.
That would be a great BP lead, which is what part of it would be used for in my 454 round ball mold. :)

anything