Author Topic: CZ SP-01 Shadow Target2 vs SP-01 Tactical  (Read 5648 times)

Offline DHosinski

CZ SP-01 Shadow Target2 vs SP-01 Tactical
« on: May 15, 2021, 05:32:28 AM »
Hello, I am currently thinking of starting to practice and ultimately shoot in a local IDPA SSP events.  I don't own a firearm that I would consider for this type of shooting.  So, I'm looking at the CZ75 SP-01 Shadow Target2.  I've been reading as many reviews as I can and it sounds fantastic.  However, my concern is that this would not be my everyday carry.  I have a CZ RAMI-BD for that purpose. 
So, I need some advice.  I know the Shadow Target2, would be the better gun for shooting in the IDPA events.  Will it be so different from my other firearms that if I were in a situation the difference in the trigger break and reset would have a huge impact on my ability to shoot accurately?  Should I be looking at something more like the SP-01 Tactical? 
Lastly, if I decide to get the Shadow, will it shoot standard 9mm Luger ammunition until I decide to do my own reloads? 

Thank you for your help

Offline DHosinski

Re: CZ SP-01 Shadow Target2 vs SP-01 Tactical
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 08:24:19 AM »
Hello,  I do have another question.  Do you recommend having fiber optic sights on your gun for shooting competitions?  What are good sights for this? 

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 11:19:46 AM »
Check the weight of the shadow 2- I suspect it may be over the weight limit for IDPA, 43oz for SSP, ESP, CDP divisions.. I see on the CZ website the shadow 2 target is 41.1 oz, so it’s within weight. As a SA you’ll shoot ESP.

I used a SP01 Tactical successfully last year & a friend is using a safety variant this years’ IDPA season

As for sights- I’ve used FO and other sights. For me I need a bold front sights and plain black rear.  FOs work great in daylight, but in dark environments ( shoot houses, etc) they don’t.  Keep in mind, what works for me, may not work for you as my eyes are unique to me.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:27:55 AM by Tanners Owner »
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline DHosinski

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »
They will allow the SP01 Shadow Target2. I would just have to fully de-cock the hammer. 

I’m a little weary of FO myself.  My friend uses the tritium sights, so something to consider.  For now I will just use whatever I have. 

Thanks for the info. 

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 02:45:10 PM »
What gun do you use as a carry or HD gun?

This is just my personal opinion, but IDPA is well suited to be shot with your EDC gun.  It’s a good way to get some trigger time and practice with your “real world” gun and gear, sort out what works, what doesn’t, and address any deficiencies.  It’s the next best option to taking a class from a trainer, but more often and at a lower cost.  Most of what I see at my local IDPA match is people using full size duty guns, OWB holsters, and a vest they only wear on match day.  A few of them may actually carry that gun on a regular basis, but I doubt the majority do. 

When I shoot IDPA I shoot my Sig 365XL which is my EDC gun or my P10C which is my bedside gun.  If IDPA would allow it, I’d be using an AIWB holster, but they are not there yet. 

Offline DHosinski

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 04:20:58 PM »
What gun do you use as a carry or HD gun?

This is just my personal opinion, but IDPA is well suited to be shot with your EDC gun.  It’s a good way to get some trigger time and practice with your “real world” gun and gear, sort out what works, what doesn’t, and address any deficiencies.  It’s the next best option to taking a class from a trainer, but more often and at a lower cost.  Most of what I see at my local IDPA match is people using full size duty guns, OWB holsters, and a vest they only wear on match day.  A few of them may actually carry that gun on a regular basis, but I doubt the majority do. 

When I shoot IDPA I shoot my Sig 365XL which is my EDC gun or my P10C which is my bedside gun.  If IDPA would allow it, I’d be using an AIWB holster, but they are not there yet.

My HD gun is an HK P30.  My carry is a CZ 75 RAMI BD. When I first posted, the did mention that I was hoping to stay fairly close to my CZ.  They’re both SA/DA.  I also have an SA XDm 3.8 but i don’t get a good grip like the others. 
I guess if I decide to get a pistol the SP-01 Tactical would be the closest to the RAMI. But like I said, I wouldn’t plan to use the Tactical nor the Shadow for HD. 

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 01:04:18 AM »
I'd vote for the SP-01 tactical.  I started competing with that in IDPA and it is very similar to the rami bd. 

The tactical can be tuned to have a very nice trigger once you're ready to start gaming it.  I still shoot my tactical in steel challenge on occasion.  I like being able to just decock the hammer on make ready.  I wish CZ would make a Shadow 2 decocker optic ready.  I'm not sure why their shadow 2 lineup comes only as a safety model?

The benefit of CZ's shadow lineup is the lack of firing pin block.  This allows a slightly shorter reset.  Otherwise you can tune them nearly the same.  It's really unfair to compare a SP-01 Tactical to the Shadow Target II,  The Target II is a CZ Custom tuned gun.

You want a sight system that draws your attention to the front sight.  Anything on the rear sight will distract you needed focus on the front sight.  Hence most competitors use a fiber optic front sight and a plain black rear.  I prefer Dawson fiber optic front sights and they make a great variety for CZ's.  The Target II comes ready to go from a sight standpoint.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline DHosinski

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 05:19:45 AM »
I'd vote for the SP-01 tactical.  I started competing with that in IDPA and it is very similar to the rami bd. 

The tactical can be tuned to have a very nice trigger once you're ready to start gaming it.  I still shoot my tactical in steel challenge on occasion.  I like being able to just decock the hammer on make ready.  I wish CZ would make a Shadow 2 decocker optic ready.  I'm not sure why their shadow 2 lineup comes only as a safety model?

The benefit of CZ's shadow lineup is the lack of firing pin block.  This allows a slightly shorter reset.  Otherwise you can tune them nearly the same.  It's really unfair to compare a SP-01 Tactical to the Shadow Target II,  The Target II is a CZ Custom tuned gun.

You want a sight system that draws your attention to the front sight.  Anything on the rear sight will distract you needed focus on the front sight.  Hence most competitors use a fiber optic front sight and a plain black rear.  I prefer Dawson fiber optic front sights and they make a great variety for CZ's.  The Target II comes ready to go from a sight standpoint.

Cheers,
Toby

I see that CGW has a sight similar to the ones on the Shadow Target 2.  I may add those when I am ready to take the plunge.   Thanks for your post.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 06:49:59 PM »
"I'm not sure why their shadow 2 lineup comes only as a safety model?"
Because using a de-cocker without a firing pin block is considered unsafe.

Offline D1LLYxD1LLY

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 08:25:56 PM »
I recently started shooting at a local defense league and picked up a sp01 tactical with cgw pro kit. I can say confidently that the gun will not be what holds back my score for quite some time. It is an amazing shooting gun. And the sights on the tactical work great indoors.

I do like to scroll through all the awesome shadow builds with some envy, but for the price, I can continue to improve with the sp01 for awhile, and I do like the decoker on the tactical.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 08:36:07 PM »
And yet every competitor that runs a shadow manually drops the hammer fully everytime he gets the make ready command.   Makes no sense.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline DHosinski

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 05:40:37 AM »
And yet every competitor that runs a shadow manually drops the hammer fully everytime he gets the make ready command.   Makes no sense.

My thinking was to gain the added performance from the trigger.  But only CZ or the designers know that.  Is the de cocker on the Tactical the same as the RAMI BD?  It only de-cocks half way.  Is that correct? 

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 02:35:03 PM »
The decocker drops to half cock on both. Hence the slight benefit from using a decocker in uspsa because at the make ready command you can just decock to half cock.  It gives a slightly lower DA trigger pull length and weight pulling from half cock.

It is also inherently safer in my mind vs manually decocking (fully to hammer down) every time.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline DHosinski

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 09:28:25 AM »
The decocker drops to half cock on both. Hence the slight benefit from using a decocker in uspsa because at the make ready command you can just decock to half cock.  It gives a slightly lower DA trigger pull length and weight pulling from half cock.

It is also inherently safer in my mind vs manually decocking (fully to hammer down) every time.

Cheers,
Toby

Certainly safer for HD if that’s the intended use. I would not be using the firearm for HD or carry.  Hence the reason for considering the Shadow Target 2.  It would offer the upgraded performance and components that the Tactical does not have stock. 

Offline Winston_Smith

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 11:11:31 AM »
I'm a little confused by this post.  All the CZ Shadow 2's I view on the CZ website weigh more than the IDPA limit of 43 oz.  What am I missing here?

anything