Author Topic: Russian Ammo And Gun Ban 2021  (Read 4224 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Russian Ammo And Gun Ban 2021
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 12:58:07 AM »
mrcabinet, if you do decide to reload, I have a cast bullet mold that works well in that caliber you can have. ;) When I still had 7.62x39mm rifles, I reloaded for it a lot, and with home cast powder coated bullets. I haven't had steel case ammo for anything but stash for years, and I think those are all gone. The ammo supply was starting to steady up and then this, yeah, lovely.
I was told some Tula ammo is also not Russian made, but elsewhere in the former ComBloc countries. Red Army Standard is rumored to be Romanian, not sure.
As for the tragedy in the 'stan... I cannot use the words on my own forum to describe it because I will violate my own rules on profanity. 

Europe

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 07:47:47 AM »
 US (or should I say Biden) does not have political will to stop Russians. Russians were fighting against US in Syria, they blew  up ammunition warehouse in Czech Republic, poisoned Skripals in the UK and did million other things including systemic cyber attacks on US. And Joe Biden in return met Putin in Switzerland, then lifted the Nordstream2 sanctions and  pulled back from Afghanistan in chaos. I wouldn't buy anything Russian, beginning with caviar, ammo including.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 07:30:06 PM »
Here is Sam Gabbert, SGAmmo Owner's take on the subject.

"There has been a lot of people asking me about the sanctions on Russian ammo imports put in place by the US state department this past week and what it means for the future of ammunition supplies. There will be more clarity in several weeks when we can see the publication of a Federal Register notice expected on September 7, 2021. The state department announcement can be seen at this page - https://www.state.gov/fact-sheet-united-states-imposes-additional-costs-on-russia-for-the-poisoning-of-aleksey-navalny/

My Russian Ammo Sanction Opinion - First, I hope you don't 'shoot the messenger' and I'd like to pat everyone on the back and tell them things are going to be okay but that wouldn't be truthful. In my opinion the sanctions are a major game-changer in the ammunition supply chain that is already strained. For the time being and based on what we can see so far, we believe that this will be the effective end of Russian made ammo in the USA as it plays out over the next year or so as import permits expire or are filled to the quantity limits, and in doing so eliminate supply of a huge portion of the ammo in the US commercial market. From what I understand, the USA commercial market consumes around 800,000,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia every year, roughly 800 semi truck trailers worth in a mix of the most popular calibers. For the immediate short term we expect ammo to keep coming in from Russia but I expect the importers to raise prices substantially which is understandable to me given its the end of the lifespan for their business model. The calibers we believe will be most effected are soviet metric calibers like 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 7.62x54R because there is almost zero available manufacturing capacity for these calibers outside of Russia and what little exists will not make a significant impact in filling the needs of the USA commercial market without Russian ammo absorbing the lion's share. In addition to these calibers, I estimate that the Russians supplied 30% to 40% of the 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger consumed at the shooting ranges across this country, and large portions of the 45 auto, 9x18 Makarov, 30 carbine, 308 Winchester / 762x51, 380 Auto, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel. I see this as a potentially devastating blow to the supply for of 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger, where the reduction in supply from Russia will be difficult to make up in the short term for other manufacturers who have already been unable to keep up with demand this past year. Consumers who have used Russian ammo regularly will have to move on from Russian made ammo to those other products made elsewhere and in doing so absorb the supply and prolong recent shortages. Again this is my opinion, based on my knowledge of the industry after 20+ years experience, and how things play out over time could be different. For me, selling Russian made ammo is about 40% of my business, and while we plan to source as much supply as we can from other sources, we do expect this to have a major negative impact on supply for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, 223 Rem / 5.56 NATO, as well as the other mentioned calibers."
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Rcher

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 12:03:12 AM »
I never bought Russian (or any other steel) ammo, but prefer quality brass, so it won't impact me. I kinda expected such ban in 2014 after Russian invasion to Ukraine in addition to other sanctions. I guess we'll see increase of import from other ex-Soviet block countries.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 05:24:48 AM »
I never bought Russian (or any other steel) ammo, but prefer quality brass, so it won't impact me. I kinda expected such ban in 2014 after Russian invasion to Ukraine in addition to other sanctions. I guess we'll see increase of import from other ex-Soviet block countries.
Like many I don't buy that roosky ammo is 40% of the US ammo market but even if that's true it will impact even those who don't buy it since the US market will absorb the extra demand and prices will be going up again with even greater shortages likely coming.

Offline Laufer

• Retired from air transport business.
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2021, 01:46:40 PM »
Wobbly: That's what I tried to imply, about the "odd" timing. My comments often are understatements.

My "quotes" here don't work, and also can't do them on TheHighRoad.

Our clear-vision, clever "Leader" and his "worldly, experienced" advisors are extremely desperate for any distraction. The visit by the Israel PM is at the perfect time to help avoid taking questions about the terrible self-imposed crisis.

Even Leon Panetta (worked for Obama) states that sizeable US forces will need to return to Afghanistan.
The fact that the >> prison << near the deserted Baghram Air Force Base - which was holding thousands of Al Qaeda, ISIS, Taliban fighters -- wasn't Allowed to be guarded by a serious number of US troops is a key factor.

It's very insidious and ironic that the moderate sanctions against Russia's work on the gas pipeline to Germany in the Baltic Sea (Nordstream 2) likely won't stop completion of the pipeline, yet the planned, or implied sanctions ("..will be Subject to denial.") against Russian commercial ammunition with have a much Smaller influence on Russia's cash revenue. ::)

Offline double-d

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2021, 02:38:58 PM »
so it won't impact me

Methinks that is being very short sighted.

Just imagine those shooters that used to shoot the russian stuff will now be purchasing brass ammo and/or components, kinda a supply & demand thing that effects everyone...... including Rcher.

Offline Rcher

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2021, 02:49:49 AM »
so it won't impact me

Methinks that is being very short sighted.

Just imagine those shooters that used to shoot the russian stuff will now be purchasing brass ammo and/or components, kinda a supply & demand thing that effects everyone...... including Rcher.

Supply and demand. I get it. And now is bad time for those in need and good time for sellers. But it is also an opportunity for new players on ammo market.