Author Topic: Light mount  (Read 1095 times)

Offline briang2ad

Light mount
« on: June 07, 2021, 10:33:37 AM »
See this:

No matter what I will do, I will need to tape switch on TOP of my existing NEA rail and use a mount like this.  Does one exist???

Offline RSR

Re: Light mount
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 11:33:02 PM »
This is that dude's website if you want to reach out through any of his socials to inquire about what exact mount that is: http://tv-presspass.com/

But it looks like it's an AK or SKS clamp on light mount.

Personally, I would mount to my NEA rail, and I like my lights at 1:30 to 2 oclock on cantilever mounts (opposite side of support hand).  Something like the older magpul polymer or thorntail would work.  Main benefits are light doesn't jab you in the nether regions when you drop the slinged gun or even when just slinged tight to the body for hands work, allows you to illuminate with less exposure around barricades, and keeps hand space free on support hand side.  The top mount also throws some light on front sight post (but less illuminated than target), and the cantilever reduces barrel/fsb shadowing.   On a 16" barrel, unless mounting it way out, the shadow from a 6 oclock light mount is right where your target is at 12 oclock.  1:30 to throws to bottom left.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 07:47:59 AM »
For now, I will mount with the Magpul pic offset mount using the space in front of my optic on the left side.  I hope this allows for me use it at least left handed.

An arrangement like the pic would allow the use of a tape switch and be ambidextrous.  Eventually, I want to put a rail mount on the side and and get the optic back off the front.  Then there would be plenty of space for a tape switch.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 01:47:51 PM »
The AK mount CAN work.  I have it mounted and it looks secure. I put a turn of friction tape between the barrel and mount to both protect the barrel finish and keep the mount from slipping lose - the AK mount is held in place by seating UNDER the gas block - it is too large to do this on the VZ 58.

Problem COULD be if the weapon is run pretty hot, the tape burns off.  I love the position of the mount. 

anything