Author Topic: TSO slide to frame fit  (Read 455 times)

Offline JimLob65

TSO slide to frame fit
« on: June 08, 2021, 09:18:50 PM »
I have been bitten by the CZ illness pretty hard since buying my Shadow 2 black/blue about 18 months ago.  Since then I have bought an AccuShadow 2 and a 457 American in .22.  A trip to my not-so-local mega gun shop got me interested in the TSO, and since then I discovered my local gun shop has one in stock, although at a notably higher price.  I find it visually stunning, the trigger is out of this world and it just feels great in my hands.  BTW the cost of these high end CZ pistols has gone up by between 10 & 20% since the pandemic around here!  Bummer, since I would love to buy a Shadow 2 Orange some time in the future.

Through the research and many YouTube reviews I have watched while mulling over spending $2k+ on what essentially will be a range toy these pistols feature select fitting as well as polishing.  The pistol at the nearby store has a barrel that locks up tighter than a bank vault.  However there appears to be some vertical play in the slide to frame fit at the front of the slide.  Not a huge amount, but it is noticeable, maybe 1/64" at most.  Unless you look very closely it is almost unnoticeable, and can be felt more than seen.  I readily admit that given my shooting ability it is highly unlikely that it would make any practical difference, but to those who own them, is this the norm for these TSOs?  This is a lot of cash to drop and I would like to do my best to make sure I am getting my moneys worth!

Interestingly enough, my Shadow 2 black/blue features the tightest slide/frame fit, followed by my AccuShadow 2.  This TSO most likely would come in last between these 3 pistols, so it would seem that the more money spent results in looser slide/frame fit ;).  However, the longer barrel and slide might be exaggerating what I have noticed, so it probably isn't really a big deal after all is said and done.

Offline Rmach

Re: TSO slide to frame fit
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 10:11:01 PM »
I've had a shadow Orange (Australian version) that had some front vertical movement and a couple of 75's. Do not worry about it because it will not affect accuracy.
CZ Shadow 2 Orange, S2 black and blue. Three polished stainless 75b's and a black 75b all with MCARBO kits and front Dawson FO.

Offline tdogg

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 11:48:29 PM »
Did you field strip the TSO?  I ask because there is a noticeable difference between my TSO's and other CZ's when it comes to putting the slide back on the frame.  Yes there is a small amount of vertical play but there is zero side to side play in either of my TSO's.  It almost requires the slide to be perfectly aligned before it will slide onto the frame.  I can hold one of my TSO's vertical (when assembling without the slide stop) and the slide will not move and that is after over 7k 40 cal through it.  They are both very accurate.  2-3 inch groups freestyle at 25 yds even on bad days.

As RMach stated the slide play really doesn't impact accuracy.  The barrel lockup does and the TSO's are hand fit.

Cheers,
Toby

This forum rocks!

Offline JimLob65

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 04:48:55 AM »
No, I have not taken down the pistol.  You are absolutely correct in that there is no horizontal free play at all that I have noticed.  Really is none in either of my Shadow 2's either actually.

Offline Fuzzy Sights

• > Dirt
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 06:48:24 PM »
Have the same vertical play in my two tactical sports, and they both will produce 10 round ragged holes at 25 yds. Think you will be quite happy with it.

Good luck on your choice.

JW
Vivat et res publica!

Offline JimLob65

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:51:47 PM »
Looking over both my Shadow 2's demonstrate absolutely no horizontal play, and none in the barrel to slide fit either.  Therefore (and this isn't news) , if the shot isn't a hit, it would be the shooter and not the hardware!

Offline Mtb1083

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 09:28:44 PM »
Between my czechmate, TSO and S2O, my TSO has the most play. granted I had a .40 slide bought at a later date that was really tight on my TSO 9mm frame. So tight that it wouldn't cycle all the way. Using mother's polishing compound working the slide and then doing a cleaning and then doing 50rds at a time before repeating the process to get the slide to cycle normally. The 9mm slide has more vertical play if I wiggle the slide up and down but still produces ragged holes. My barrel bushing was never that great but doesn't seem to matter. Love the TSO and thinking of having CZC do their accubushing to it down the road.

The S2O is MUCH tighter in all aspects. Can get the front of the slide to move down once if I squeeze it. No play anywhere else. Perfect trigger and will be buried with me when I die lol. I can hit 8in plates at 100yds consistently. Have hit 2in swingers at that distance within 3 shots which blew me away. 15yrds is one hole groups if I take my time.

My czechmate doesn't move anywhere. Probably more accurate in theory with the longer barrel compared to my S2O but I can't tell a difference (when I was running the irons). Been shooting it with an optic and I'm still getting used to it and still need to get it dialed in.

All 3 are so much fun to shoot and each have their own character. I thought about selling the TSO after getting the czechmate but man it's a sexy pistol and I just don't need to or want to sell it. I actually sold it once to help pay for the S2O but once I saw it go in the used cabinet a month later and I held it again I missed it even more lol. I have the sickness bad.

Offline JimLob65

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 11:06:13 PM »
The S2O is on my want list for the future.

Offline Mtb1083

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 11:41:26 PM »
Some people say it's not worth the money vs a reg S2. I have a regular S2 with a .22lr slide (sold the 9mm slide) and the S2O is definitely a big step up in all aspects.

Offline JimLob65

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 05:15:29 AM »
Some people say it's not worth the money vs a reg S2. I have a regular S2 with a .22lr slide (sold the 9mm slide) and the S2O is definitely a big step up in all aspects.

All of the pistols discussed here are capable of shooting way beyond my abilities.  Beyond that I just punch holes in paper for fun, and don't shoot competitively.  However, I just like nice stuff, and the upgrades intrigue me from the perspective of how effective they prove to be.  After I began buying centerfire pistols after several years without, my first two pistols were a SIG P226 Legion and a Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical, as opposed to the much cheaper standard versions of both pistols.  Worth the added outlay of cash, especially given that  at my age my eyes aren't what they used to be and due to my trade I have issues with my back, shoulders and hands??  Probably not, but I love being an American!!

Offline Mtb1083

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 11:24:12 AM »
I like nice stuff too lol. I'm hoping to get into the competition field but my area and with covid it's been difficult to find ATM. I've had a bunch of the "cheaper" cz pistols but after getting my original S2 and being spoiled by it the cheaper ones were sold to fund the higher end models and I don't regret spending the money.

Offline JimLob65

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 06:58:44 PM »
Well.... I mulled it over for too long.  It has been sold.  There is another shop about 50 miles away that had one for $90 less though.  Maybe I will put that one in lay-away.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:12:20 AM by JimLob65 »

Offline Mtb1083

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 12:33:28 AM »
Gunbroker has them for 1650 from dlsupplies FYI

Offline JimLob65

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 06:13:02 AM »
Gunbroker has them for 1650 from dlsupplies FYI

Thanks!

anything