Author Topic: Picked up an EVO 3 S1 pistol with SB brace, now what  (Read 374 times)

Offline TRS75TSO

• Good guys have great guns
Picked up an EVO 3 S1 pistol with SB brace, now what
« on: June 09, 2021, 12:15:03 PM »
I bought a used EVO 3 S1 pistol with an SB Tactical brace after trying out a rental at my range that was the same setup. We had a great time shooting it and were surprised at the accuracy. Now I’m kinda wishing I had looked more into it. I don’t think I want to go the SBR route, but I feel like this is a natural to shoulder. Not looking for trouble to add to the anti-gun climate of out current administration. Kinda want to put on an adjustable length stock and change out the barrel to carbine length. Probably should have just looked around and waited for the carbine version. Anyone know where I can find a carbine length barrel? Maybe then I could just swap the hand guard? Just might try to sell it off and start over.
Due to rising costs we can no longer afford bells and whistles and will rely on smoke and mirrors alone.

Offline alp3367

Re: Picked up an EVO 3 S1 pistol with SB brace, now what
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 12:23:09 PM »
 It's kind of hard to advise. If not going the SBR route you're correct about your two options. If the entire gun market wasn't so crazy right now I'd probably suggest the just getting a carbine option. By the time you bought a barrel, stock, and forearm you'd probably exceed the cost of just getting a carbine to begin with.

Of course converting your current pistol to a rifle leaves you the option of converting it back, so that is some flexibility the carbine option doesn't offer.

However, I know every scorpion model is heavily backordered. They're out there, but finding a carbine at a decent price is not as easy as say two years ago.

Offline TRS75TSO

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 12:37:17 PM »
I’ll consider the SBR option. Just didn’t want to have to navigate the paperwork. I’ll check around for local support on how to best not be rejected for something stupid. If I do that, I’ll be wanting a suppressor too. I have seen companies online that do make that paperwork easier.
Due to rising costs we can no longer afford bells and whistles and will rely on smoke and mirrors alone.

Offline TRS75TSO

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 04:46:03 PM »
I received a PM regarding this thread and a Scorpion carbine. Evidently I have not posted enough on this forum to PM. I may be interested if I can re-home my pistol.

Offline John A.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 07:29:06 PM »
Another option that you may not have considered and what I'm probably going to do.

Granted, I already have a suppressor on it, I'm probably going to permanently attach it to the barrel so it'll reach the legal minimums and add the stock.  And I won't have to pay anything more or register anything more with the government.

So, atf can get bent and pound sand.  I'm not registering nothing else.
I used to think politicians made stupid gun laws because they were stupid.  Now, I know they do it as ATTRITION.

Offline TRS75TSO

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 08:33:26 PM »
I sort of considered an option like that. As in, there are fake suppressors/ barrel extensions available in the $160 range. Or I could machine one myself and pin it to my barrel. That way I don’t have to register anything with anyone, I think. Have to look more into the pinning process as I am in no way a gunsmith, but I do have access to a full on machine shop and there is mucho talent there.

Offline Northern

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 09:11:40 PM »
It’s a fun system because it’s quite modular with tons of aftermarket parts options, so you can change out nearly everything, assuming you can find the parts in stock.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:22:06 AM by Northern »

Offline John A.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 10:01:56 PM »
I sort of considered an option like that. As in, there are fake suppressors/ barrel extensions available in the $160 range. Or I could machine one myself and pin it to my barrel. That way I don’t have to register anything with anyone, I think. Have to look more into the pinning process as I am in no way a gunsmith, but I do have access to a full on machine shop and there is mucho talent there.

All you have to do is make the fake silencer so combined with the barrel it will be at least 16" minimum.

Thread the fake silencer.  Drill a hole through where the threads are.

Thread it onto the barrel, after it's threaded you'll be able to see the barrel threads through the hole you've already drilled. 

Drill/dimple the barrel threads in that location.  Don't drill all the way through the barrel.

Put a pin into the hole so it goes down into the barrel threads a little.  I often will also tap the top of the pin to "peen" the pin.  This makes sure there is good contact.  The pin prevents the muzzle device from turning because of the threads.

Weld over the pin.

Keep in mind, dissimilar metals won't weld.  So, if you use an aluminum fake silencer, you'd need to use an aluminum pin.  Aluminum is harder to weld and why I generally recommend using a steel muzzle attachment and steel pin.

That's all there is to it.

The process doesn't take much longer than it did to read my description.

I used to think politicians made stupid gun laws because they were stupid.  Now, I know they do it as ATTRITION.

Offline TRS75TSO

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 07:54:51 AM »
Now that’s what I’m talking about! That sound pretty easy. I’ll just keep this thing after all. It’s a ton of fun to shoot and I want to stay legal with registering anything with the Gubmnt. Now to find a fake suppressor.

Offline TRS75TSO

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 06:49:48 PM »
I guess finding a fake suppressor is not as easy as I hoped. I could buy a barrel with trunnion, a barrel nut and AR style stock adapter from CZ USA if they show up in stock again. Really like the 15” hand guard from HBI. All in around $400.

anything