Author Topic: Suppressor for my Scorpion  (Read 2415 times)

Offline M300Pilot

Suppressor for my Scorpion
« on: June 18, 2021, 11:21:01 AM »
As much as I enjoy geeking out about buying extra bits for my Scorpion,  I want to have some kind of back-up plan in case the law changes to avoid as much PIA in my life as possible. Yes, I may do the pew pews with chums (who live across State line) but the main intent of this purchase was a 'you are not taking my food nor will you harm my rescue greyhounds' firearm.

I was already thinking about a suppressor because I like to hear and (I hope home defense never happens) for the ears of doggos. Can anyone suggest a long enough suppressor that plays well with the Scorpion I can research?  Since I am a complete noob to SBR's, I could be totally off base and may need to keep thinking this through.

Offline John A.

Re: Suppressor for my Scorpion
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 01:51:36 PM »
A silencer is registered with the government, the same as a short barreled rifle.

Buying a silencer (form 4) takes a long time due to the process of all the transfers by the time it gets to your hands. 

And it's entirely possible to make your own silencer on a form 1 application.  They don't USUALLY take as long to get your tax stamp approved either since there are no transfers of ownership between the manufacturer and dealer(s) and then to you.  If you have the ability to make one yourself and if you were so inclined.  I have been making my own for 20 years now.  While not terribly hard, there is a learning curve and while it's not magic voodoo, there are more ways to mess one up than make it right but that's where the research comes in.

The scorpion works very well suppressed.  And is much less damaging to your ears as well as anyone or anything else that may have the misfortune of being near you when it goes off. 

Just about any and all 9mm suppressors are what is considered to be hearing safe (under 140db).  The really good ones are in the low 120db ranges. 

Among one of the better sounding suppressors out there is the CGS Krakken.  https://cgsgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Kraken-Manual.pdf

You would NOT need to use the piston/booster assembly with the scorpion.  You either used a lockout ring or a direct thread mount with the scorpion because it's a fixed barrel gun.
I used to think politicians made stupid gun laws because they were stupid.  Now, I know they do it as ATTRITION.

Offline M300Pilot

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Me making one is way out.  I am a soft suburban IT dork. They sure like to take the fun of out of ownership.  Again, thanks for the info, it gives me some information to digest and use to make a decision.  I do like the idea of having one irregardless.  I wanted to stay loyal to CZ.  Bought a CZ75 long ago.  I keep wondering if I should have held out for the carbine.  Only time will tell if the law changes I guess. 

Offline Pondwater

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 03:00:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Me making one is way out.  I am a soft suburban IT dork. They sure like to take the fun of out of ownership.  Again, thanks for the info, it gives me some information to digest and use to make a decision.  I do like the idea of having one irregardless.  I wanted to stay loyal to CZ.  Bought a CZ75 long ago.  I keep wondering if I should have held out for the carbine.  Only time will tell if the law changes I guess.

If you can operate a drill, you can assemble one.  Check out quietbore.com.  You still have o file a Form 1, but it is not as complicated as you'd think.

Offline M300Pilot

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 03:20:50 PM »
You gotta be sheeting me....I can order a kit?!  Now that is how one nerds.

Offline John A.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 03:53:48 PM »
You'll need to research solvent traps.   And of course, don't purchase anything until the tax stamp is applied for and certainly don't complete it into a silencer until it's approved.  And while waiting for the tax stamp, research what you can.  While it's possible to make a great sounding can, there's more ways to make a crappy sounding one, so do some research on what works.

Quitebore is not really all that great.  There are certainly worse, but there are also better.  I rate quitebore somewhere in the middle of the pack.  And the K baffles are somewhat difficult to machine.

You could research D cell tubes and solvent cups of various styles.  Many guys are doing "radial solvent cups" at the moment and they seem to be performing pretty well.

While this one is NOT a solvent trap, it is a homemade Form 1 suppressor and was made using nothing more than dual spring engine valve retainers of the proper size, some spacers and some tubing.  Being as long as it is, it does really well even if I do have to say so myself.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 04:02:51 PM by John A. »
I used to think politicians made stupid gun laws because they were stupid.  Now, I know they do it as ATTRITION.

Offline thelastbill

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 04:06:44 PM »
Do we need some kind of barrel swap or adapter to add to a s1?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline John A.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 04:12:48 PM »
Do we need some kind of barrel swap or adapter to add to a s1?

F1 or Form 1 is referring to the paperwork to make/register a homemade silencer that has to be provided to the government and approved before you're allowed to make one.

As long as the barrel is threaded, no barrel swap is needed.  Though some of the early imports have an 18mm thread pitch and getting mounts for them would be difficult at best.

Most of the 9mm suppressor mounts use a 1/2-28 thread pitch.  Not all, but that is the most common.  Later Scorpion barrels are in fact threaded 1/2-28 and no barrel swap would be needed.

Even with an 18mm threaded barrel, there were a few companies that were making thread adapters, but it's more ideal to be able to use the factory threads whenever possible because any time you can eliminate extra parts and threads, the less likely of something not being perfectly straight.

Offline M300Pilot

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 04:17:43 PM »
Duly noted.  Could be a fun project and an excellent opportunity to smug it up by telling my friends I built it myself.  Maybe put some some kind of sharks teeth WW2 aircraft teeth on the end of it to make fun of myself.  At the end of the day, by reaching out I am trying to be smart, make sure I am being as safe as humanly possible and avoid another layer of heartache/PIA in my life.  I have had enough of that.

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 10:35:01 AM »
When I decided to go through the process to own a can I decided to go the form 4 route because I wanted a durable, well performing suppressor. I opted for the OSS QD 7.62 because it is a zero / low back pressure suppressor by design. That means I don't have to worry about rejetting the gas system on my SCAR 17 or AK and won't have to worry about overgassing the gun. I have a few more months to go.

I'm not convinced the solvent trap / aluminum constructed "kits" are going to hold up as well as a purpose built can. While there are certainly folks building their own that do equally nice work, the common drill a few holes where marked and screw it together options don't impress me as durable.

Offline John A.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 11:03:26 AM »
When I decided to go through the process to own a can I decided to go the form 4 route because I wanted a durable, well performing suppressor. I opted for the OSS QD 7.62 because it is a zero / low back pressure suppressor by design. That means I don't have to worry about rejetting the gas system on my SCAR 17 or AK and won't have to worry about overgassing the gun. I have a few more months to go.

I'm not convinced the solvent trap / aluminum constructed "kits" are going to hold up as well as a purpose built can. While there are certainly folks building their own that do equally nice work, the common drill a few holes where marked and screw it together options don't impress me as durable.

I've been designing and making my own for over 20 years now.

While, you are correct that an aluminum anything on a 7.62x51/308 scar would not last long, aluminum is perfectly suited for 9mm (which is what the topic was about) will likely outlast the owner. 

Though, many solvent trap kits don't use very good designs and don't sound very good.

Offline Jack Flash

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
You'll need to research solvent traps.   And of course, don't purchase anything until the tax stamp is applied for and certainly don't complete it into a silencer until it's approved.  And while waiting for the tax stamp, research what you can.  While it's possible to make a great sounding can, there's more ways to make a crappy sounding one, so do some research on what works.

Quitebore is not really all that great.  There are certainly worse, but there are also better.  I rate quitebore somewhere in the middle of the pack.  And the K baffles are somewhat difficult to machine.

You could research D cell tubes and solvent cups of various styles.  Many guys are doing "radial solvent cups" at the moment and they seem to be performing pretty well.

While this one is NOT a solvent trap, it is a homemade Form 1 suppressor and was made using nothing more than dual spring engine valve retainers of the proper size, some spacers and some tubing.  Being as long as it is, it does really well even if I do have to say so myself.

You have a bad experience with Quietbore?

I don't see how it would be possible for the baffles you posted to be more efficient than a good old K baffle. I don't understand what you mean by ..."the K baffles are somewhat difficult to machine." 

I've not had any problems with my Quietbore 9mm silencer on my CZ S2, Sig P365, or my Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel.

Offline John A.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »
As I have said, I make my own and the one that I referred to using valve retainers was my first back more than 20 years ago now.  With clips to allow lateral flow, they sound good. 

Though I have heard several of qb's k baffle traps in person.

Most people fail to mill out the scoop in the face of the K baffle.  Just drilling out the bore in the center is one thing, but by failing to complete the rest of the steps, the coaxial chambers around the skirt are useless in that situation.

And the scoop is very difficult to machine properly.

The K baffle has been around for a long time.  Countless rimfire and other pistol caliber cans have been made using them.  I think AAC started using them around 2001'ish I believe in their AAC pilot cans IIRC.  If not, that's the first one that I recall seeing off the top of my head.

But, there are more efficient baffles out there these days that are better than K's for sure.

I believe Omega baffles using a large coaxial chamber is better.  And the radial style baffle that CGS is using in the krakken and MOD 9 are far better sounding being a few more. 

Offline M300Pilot

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 07:07:55 PM »
I have spent some time looking into it and started my Form 1.  In the back of my mind I am thinking that after I build one, I should to find someone with some smarts here in the great State of Kansas to look it over before I use it.  I do not know if it could happen but I like my face and prefer to not blow it off. Ha.

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 07:59:18 AM »
I did the Form 4 for my suppressor... got a smoking sale on a Sig Sauer SRD45 which I use on my Scorpion, my Kimber .45, and soon to be on a Tavor X95 300BLK bullpup.  As mentioned, it took quite a long time for the Form 4.  I did mine a couple years ago and it took 10 months to get the stamp back.  I just recently applied (Form 1) to make my Scorpion into an SBR.  I got that stamp back in less than a month.  That's the same process (Form 1) you'd go through if you built the can yourself.  Keep in mind though, you're really not going to build the entire can yourself.  You're basically going to buy a kit where the baffles (inserts) have not been drilled out yet.  You get a jig from them and you place the baffles in the jig and drill the holes.  That's about as easy as "making it yourself" gets.  Really nothing to it.  They are referred to as Solvent Traps (holes not drilled in them yet).  Of course you could try and build the entire thing yourself, but the kit would be much easier.  A friend of mine who is very much into the solvent traps has bought a few of the following and he highly recommends them.  He says they're very good.  They'll also do the engraving for you too.  -->  www.quietbore.com/product/9mm-form1-kit/   They have aluminum and SS options I believe.