Author Topic: Torch Cut Vz2008 Receiver Stubs and Barrels at Apex  (Read 629 times)

Offline RSR

Torch Cut Vz2008 Receiver Stubs and Barrels at Apex
« on: September 16, 2021, 05:50:41 PM »
Apex now has torch cut Vz2008 receivers in the white with barrel in stock @$100 and $20 cheaper than bare barrel...

Anyone know the story behind or have an idea why these were destroyed rather than built out the rest of the way? 

FWIW, serial in pic is VZ08PM-006108

Link: https://www.apexgunparts.com/vz58-barrel-w-rcvr-stub-itw-unused.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 03:13:47 PM by RSR »

Offline NativeTexan

Re: Torch Cut Vz2008 Receiver Stubs and Barrels at Apex
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 07:40:43 AM »
Interesting…,
Maybe a bad run of receivers out of spec that wasn’t caught till the barrel was pressed and pinned? If the barrels were inexpensive enough to them I could see where they’d torch the receiver and sell the scrap for what the barrel cost just to keep from having to pull them and deal with the pin channel.
Just speculating. As low as the PSA prices were I don’t imagine they had much leeway for extra labor costs.

Offline RSR

Re: Torch Cut Vz2008 Receiver Stubs and Barrels at Apex
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 03:12:24 PM »
Interesting…,
Maybe a bad run of receivers out of spec that wasn’t caught till the barrel was pressed and pinned? If the barrels were inexpensive enough to them I could see where they’d torch the receiver and sell the scrap for what the barrel cost just to keep from having to pull them and deal with the pin channel.
Just speculating. As low as the PSA prices were I don’t imagine they had much leeway for extra labor costs.

That's might make sense.  But Century sells all sorts of gunsmith specials (probably in worse condition than these were/could have been) on their website.  https://www.centuryarms.com/surplus-corner/firearms/u-fix-em

Was also wondering if they just weren't profitable for them, or if these might have been the guns intended for Canada that were cancelled.

Should also clarify that these aren't the first gen w/ pushdown plates that CSA/Dtechnik sued Century over as those were AWO/ORF receivers w/ czech-type engravings on rear sight block.