Author Topic: IPSC major power factor ammo SP-01  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Northwestguy

IPSC major power factor ammo SP-01
« on: July 20, 2021, 01:29:41 PM »
I am looking for ammunition that meets the minimum requirements for IPSC major power factor.  The minimum power factor for major in IPSC open class competition is 160.  Power factor is calculated by the following formula:

Power Factor = (bullet weight (in grains) X muzzle velocity (in feet per second))/1000
IPSC minimum power factor for major is 160.
USPSA minimum power factor for major is 165.

Is there a specific brand or nomenclature that I can use to search on ammoseek, or elsewhere?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: IPSC major power factor ammo SP-01
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »
I've read that 124 grain FMJ NATO spec ammo is +P.  Can't prove it.  Just read it on the internet.

Do you know the muzzle velocity you need to make the power factor you're looking for?  If so then some makers list their muzzle velocity for the different loads.

Only factory NATO spec ammo I've bought/shot is the Winchester 124 grain FMJ.  Only reason I bought more than that first box was an M&P 9MM that actually shoots that stuff better than anything else I've run through it.

Link to their info on their website.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Handgun/USA/Q4318

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Handgun/USA-VALOR-Series-Handgun/USA9NATOW

Both show 396 ft lbs. of muzzle energy at 1200 fps.  The type I've bought/shot is the first type, in the white box.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 05:04:06 PM »
I've read that 124 grain FMJ NATO spec ammo is +P.  Can't prove it.  Just read it on the internet.

Do you know the muzzle velocity you need to make the power factor you're looking for?  If so then some makers list their muzzle velocity for the different loads.

Both show 396 ft lbs. of muzzle energy at 1200 fps.  The type I've bought/shot is the first type, in the white box.

To make IPSC’s major PF, a 124 gr bullet would have to have a velocity of 1,290 fps or higher.  USPSA’s major PF is 165, so would need 1,330 fps minimum. 

Offline Northwestguy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 05:08:24 PM »
147 gets better results. Product is made by Everglades, who has stock. I just ordered two boxes to see how the Czechmate likes them and how the pistol runs with the compensator attached.

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 06:07:19 PM »
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 06:11:23 PM »
Did someone say you could do that in an SP01 ? Those velocities are extremely high. Even in 147gr you got to be going ~1125fps. 115gr has to be ~1435fps.

I thought the CZ model for Major PF was the Czechmate ?

I think you had better check that out pretty good before taking the leap.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline George16

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »
147 gets better results. Product is made by Everglades, who has stock. I just ordered two boxes to see how the Czechmate likes them and how the pistol runs with the compensator attached.
147 Gr sucks for 9major. This is because of the limited amount of powder in the case thereby limiting the amount of gas produced to work the comp. it’s way better to use lighter bullets so more powder can be used producing more gas.

The best scenario is to reload but if you can’t, get the 115 or 124 Gr offerings since they use more powder thereby more gas to maximize the efficiency of the compensator on your czechmate.

You can use the SP01 as long as it has a compensator. The comp is the key for shooting major power factor ammo.

ETA - checkout Atlanta arms too for their 9major ammo.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:07:13 AM by George16 »

Offline eastman

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 09:45:58 PM »
find a used or NOS SP-01 Tactical in .40  8)

O0 O0
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 06:34:07 AM »
For your Czechmate you should be using 124/125gn bullets.  In my Czechmate, I have push 125gn bullets @ 1375 fps using a slow-burning powder like N350, 3N387, and Major pistol.

Offline Northwestguy

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 12:55:24 PM »
Agreed. The Everglades major ammo is 124 grain.

Offline George16

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 02:38:00 PM »
If you’re going to use this ammo on your czechmate, be aware that the czechmate has a short throat/leade. Before my czechmates’ barrels were reamed to accept up to 1.175” OAL, the max OAL for my reloads were 1.150” for reliable feeding.

Have you called Everglades to ask them about the OAL of the ammo? Don’t be surprised if you’ll experience feeding problems because the OAL might be too long. This is further aggravated by the fat /blunt ogive of the JHP they’re using. Their 9major ammo are mainly produced for 2011 guns which have barrels reamed to accept long OAL.

The rounds re longer than typical ammo so they can pack as much powder on the case and also to reduce pressure.

Offline Fuzzy Sights

• > Dirt
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »
Relying on factory ammo for major power factor has not led to a great experience for me.  Purchased a major manufacture ammo that should have met the criteria and velocity was a 150 fps short.  Bottom line they would not fix the issue as the lot had passed their inspection and chamber/barrel differences were their explanation of the problem.  The rest of that very expensive case was practice ammo.
My pistol was a Tactical Sport.

Reloading is also an issue with CZs as they have tight throats.  You need to find your max OAL for the pistol and stick to it.  I found loads that would work, but most involved VV powders and magnum primers, which is not in any loading book and would not recommend it to even average reloader, certainly not for mass production.

My eventual conclusion is that if I need major power use a cartridge that starts easily in the major class.  40 S&W does that nicely and loosing 2 rounds out of a 22 round mag means I need to concentrate on the fundamentals than the next guy.  Can't miss fast enough to win.

Best wishes to you on your project.

JW

By the way two other competitors were working on this at the same time I was.  They both destroyed their perfect Glocks.
Vivat et res publica!

Think of me as a Newbee who types a lot.

Offline Northwestguy

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 07:40:09 PM »
Fuzzy Sights
The Everglades ammo is loaded to 1.145" OAL.
The Czechmate spec is 1.150".
Here is the link to the ammo that I will be trying.
Fingers crossed!
https://www.evergladesammo.com/9mm-major.html

Offline Northwestguy

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 07:58:57 PM »
For shooting practice 9mm FMJ ammo, in 115, or 124 or 147; what recoil spring weight have you all found works to get the Czechmate to cycle with the compensator?

Offline George16

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 09:04:58 AM »
I’m using a 9# recoil spring on my czechmates. Doesn’t matter if I’m shouting factory, minor or major ammo as long as the compensator is used.

By the way, I bought a different comp and installed it on the spare barrel since I don’t shoot with iron sights in competition.