Author Topic: ss guide rod in 95 bd pcr  (Read 1449 times)

Offline czshortypcr

ss guide rod in 95 bd pcr
« on: May 27, 2021, 08:56:13 PM »
 i bought a new ss guide rod to replace the plastic one. after reading that you should only the plastic rods because if "gives" a bit in cycling when shooting.  the slide is steel and the frame is aluminum and the guide is plastic to prevent chatter marks on the frame when cycling.  is there any truth to this?  i don't want to cause any chatter marks  and ruin my frame. anybody have any experience with this problem or myth?

Offline Tok36

Re: ss guide rod in 95 bd pcr
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 09:27:02 PM »
   While i have seen some instances of metal Guide Rods leaving marks on the interior of aluminum frames, it never appeared to be a universal issue. The issue may depend in part on the specific profile/design of the Guide Rod/Spring being used. If i were determined to used a metal guide rod, i think i might try it and see what happens. Worst case it leaves some rub marks on the inside of the frame and can be swapped out for a replacement. The way that i look at it, rub marks on the inside of the frame are not real significant.

While i recognize that some folks prefer metal, i have yet to find any significant asset in replacing the factory poly CZ Guide rods in any of my CZs. My 75 Shadow has a metal Guide Rod but it came with it installed.

I am interested to hear the input of other forum members on the subject.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 05:22:46 AM »
I have had the stainless guide rod in My 12 year old PCR for nearly 20,000 rounds now and there is ZERO wear or damage of any kind from it's use. I put one in my recently purchased second PCR and after 1500 rounds in the new gun there's ZERO evidence of any adverse wear.
I prefer metal parts when I can get them. Plastic is a fancy word for CHEAP.

Offline Lock-n-load

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 07:31:28 PM »
I find no improvement in putting in a stainless guide rod except for the added weight in front. And unless you are useing it for a competition gun it’s really not worth the cost.although I’d never put one in a aluminum frame cuz eventually it will cause problems with wearing on the softer material. .... your results may vary depending on if you are plinking or shooting thousands for competition

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 05:56:20 AM »
I find no improvement in putting in a stainless guide rod except for the added weight in front. And unless you are useing it for a competition gun it’s really not worth the cost.although I’d never put one in a aluminum frame cuz eventually it will cause problems with wearing on the softer material. .... your results may vary depending on if you are plinking or shooting thousands for competition
No there is no improvement in performance and it really adds little weight but as I stated above I prefer steel. As I stated above I have had the guide rods in one particular gun for 20,000 rounds with no issues. I add them to any pistol I own that comes with cheap plastic.
There are PLENTY of pistols out there that were produced with steel guide rods and aluminum frames years ago (think 3rd gen S&W's).
Any instance where there is damage in the guide rod area can likely be traced to a malformed part to begin with such as a malformed framed or poorly machined guide rod.
CZ and others use plastic guide rods because they are cheap to produce it's that simple.

Offline VintageCorrect

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 04:11:12 PM »
Plastic is a fancy word for CHEAP.

Absolutely agree. If you look at pictures of the plastic guide rods that came out of guns after thousands of rounds they’re all malformed. Still work I’m sure but I would prefer to use metal also. Why rely long term on a plastic part when there is no need. Just keep the plastic guide rod for an emergency spare.

anything