Author Topic: Hello…otherwise titled “What in the hell did I buy today?”  (Read 3961 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Hello…otherwise titled “What in the hell did I buy today?”
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 07:45:12 AM »
Most cops aren't really very interested in their duty guns (or other guns).  BTDT many years ago.  Some of the guys I worked with every day never went to the range with the three of us that shot regularly.  I saw them come in the office with their revolvers locked up from lack of use/lubrication.  Open their dump pouches (yeah, it was a long time ago, but even then speed loaders/pouches were available) and have to shake them to get the grimy, corroded ammo out of the leather pouches.  I've hear them bounce their revolvers off the wall, filing cabinet and desk before the gun hit the floor when it came off their finger while trying to spin it around and holster it like they do on westerns.

Same for the military.  Most of the guys I was in the Army with fired a gun a couple times a year when we had to qualify.  Very few of us practiced regularly or otherwise looked for opportunities to shoot more often.

CZs are nice pistols.  Out of the box they're more accurate than most others.  With some work like yours has they are one of the smoothest, too.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Leigion

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2021, 08:46:13 AM »
Most cops aren't really very interested in their duty guns (or other guns).  BTDT many years ago.  Some of the guys I worked with every day never went to the range with the three of us that shot regularly.  I saw them come in the office with their revolvers locked up from lack of use/lubrication.  Open their dump pouches (yeah, it was a long time ago, but even then speed loaders/pouches were available) and have to shake them to get the grimy, corroded ammo out of the leather pouches.  I've hear them bounce their revolvers off the wall, filing cabinet and desk before the gun hit the floor when it came off their finger while trying to spin it around and holster it like they do on westerns.

Same for the military.  Most of the guys I was in the Army with fired a gun a couple times a year when we had to qualify.  Very few of us practiced regularly or otherwise looked for opportunities to shoot more often.

CZs are nice pistols.  Out of the box they're more accurate than most others.  With some work like yours has they are one of the smoothest, too.

As a female, it’s a little different for me.  Qualifications are not competitions, but I am competitive.  I shot SASS for a short time, and am usually one of the few women out there qualifying.  I went to academy with a couple of females that couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat.  It’s embarrassing to be on the line with anyone that qualifies in the 30s much less another woman that uses that as an excuse.  And failing to qualify with a shotgun?!?!  Put in the time if you know you’re that deficient. 

In today’s time, my duty weapon may be the only thing I have to save my life.  I work in a rural area and back up can easily be 20-30 minutes away.  With an adrenaline dump, most people’s shooting averages drop by half.  So if Im qualifying with a 100, now I’m down to 50.  Add to that most people don’t qualify with all their gear, or in inclement weather, or at night.  Now you’re probably in the 20-30 range…and you may not go home at the end of your shift. 

I showed this CZ to a couple of people that flipped out that I spent 900 on a gun for conceal carry.  If I don’t like it in my hand, I’ll never take it out at the range, which means no proficiency with it should I ever need it.  Is that really worth the savings?  Nope. 

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2021, 03:17:40 PM »
Used to irritate me when people would ask me to recommend a "good cheap gun" for self defense.

All I could do was ask them what their life was worth.  Some of them didn't get it and I'd have to explain the cost of the gun is nothing to worry about if it saves your life or the life of a family member.

I carry a P07 .40.  One of the most accurate pistols I've ever fired.  It was around $400 new 9 or 10 years ago when I bought it.  Then I had it milled for an RMR and bought a DI (dual illuminated) RMR for it and sent the slide/RMR off to be set up.  The RMR cost more than the P07.  The milling and cerakote refinish job on the slide cost just over half what the pistol cost.  So I ended up with a little over $1,000 in it.   Well worth it if I ever need it.  After all, how much is your life worth?

Just for info, all my CZ 9MM pistols (P07, P09, P01 Omegas) shoot that cheap Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ range ammo very well.  Stuff shoots good in the M&P Shield 9MM pistols, too.  If no one has mentioned it earlier, most people say 124 grain hollow points shoot very well in their CZ 9MM pistols.  Sooner or later I'll get a good 124 grain load worked up for mine.  So far the 115 grain hollow points (reloads) have shined in mine.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 10:31:18 PM »
Great find for sure. Glad that fine CZ went to a good home and someone who will appreciate and shoot it! What part of Oklahoma do you work in? I live in SE Texas, but my wifes family is from the Lawton (and other small towns around there) area. So, you work for OHP? They went with the P320? Have there been any issues with them? I know there has been several reports of LEOs having discharges and getting injured with the P320. They are not very well thought of over on Pistol Forum. I was all in on the P320 a couple years back. Had a Fullsize Tac Ops 9mm, Sub Comp 9mm, Compact 9 and X- Carry. I decided I prefered DA/SA though and let them all go except for an M17.

Offline dmleininger

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 09:37:33 AM »

I showed this CZ to a couple of people that flipped out that I spent 900 on a gun for conceal carry.  If I don’t like it in my hand, I’ll never take it out at the range, which means no proficiency with it should I ever need it.  Is that really worth the savings?  Nope.
[/quote]

Looks to me that Standard P-01 prices are creeping up to the $700 mark so it sounds to me like you got a great deal on a tuned pistol.  I'll be happy to take it off your hands if you ever get tired of it, but it doesn't sound like you will.  Enjoy your new purchase, I know I would for sure!

Offline dudester

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2021, 07:27:28 PM »
Congrats on the CZ. Mine loves Federal 124 HST and that is what I carry in all of my guns, The CZ with a little bit of work is a thing of beauty.

Offline eastman

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2021, 11:06:20 PM »
my recollection the SDP price is that $900 is a really good deal. A friend of mine has the SDP, and I liked everything about it except the Heinie sights.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline jdogg2000

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2021, 12:14:47 PM »
I always find it interesting when officers can carry a gun of his/her choice.  Its great to be able to carry what you feel most comfortable with, but I can imagine that in some instances, a particular officer might choose something that is totally out of left field.  I'm not sure if a Tac Sport Orange would be the greatest choice in a duty role, for example.  As far as the CZ Compacts, I absolutely love them.  Thank you for your service, hope your CZ serves you well!

Offline Leigion

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2021, 12:23:50 PM »
I always find it interesting when officers can carry a gun of his/her choice.  Its great to be able to carry what you feel most comfortable with, but I can imagine that in some instances, a particular officer might choose something that is totally out of left field.  I'm not sure if a Tac Sport Orange would be the greatest choice in a duty role, for example.  As far as the CZ Compacts, I absolutely love them.  Thank you for your service, hope your CZ serves you well!

I catch flack for the X5 Legion, but since OHP switched to the 320 I get less than you’d think.  Everyone runs Glock even if it’s not their weapon of choice because in a firefight someone can just throw a mag to someone else.  Where I work its predominantly without back up most of the time, they’re 20 minutes out minimum.  I carry a mag in my duty weapon, two in my belt, and three on my vest.  If I need more than that, I’m using the wrong weapon.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2021, 12:54:43 PM »

I catch flack for the X5 Legion, but since OHP switched to the 320 I get less than you’d think.  Everyone runs Glock even if it’s not their weapon of choice because in a firefight someone can just throw a mag to someone else.  Where I work its predominantly without back up most of the time, they’re 20 minutes out minimum.  I carry a mag in my duty weapon, two in my belt, and three on my vest.  If I need more than that, I’m using the wrong weapon.

The very excuse the Chief used to justify buying new 686's for us so many years ago.  So everyone could share ammo is someone else ran out.  I laughed at him and told him fat chance of that.

I was the only one in the department that expended the money/effort to buy additional speed loaders to carry extra ammo.  And my partner was a guy who would buy a new revolver, buy a 20 round box of ammo for it, go to the range, shoot 14 rounds without even hitting the 4 ft. by 4 ft. backer the targest were stapled to, pul the last six rounds in the revolver and head back to the office to start his shift.  I watched him do that one day.

He was also the guy that would run a car down and when it stopped pull up beside of it so close I couldn't get my door open.  I had to crawl out the driver's door to get out of that car and he couldn't get the guy out of the car anyway because our front fender was inches away from the other car's door.

Yup, got some stories, but all in the past.  If you go through all the ammo you carried and haven't ended the fight you need to either carry more ammo or hit what you're shooting at.

If feeling like that made me an a hole then I'm still an a hole.

Offline Leigion

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2021, 01:09:45 PM »

The very excuse the Chief used to justify buying new 686's for us so many years ago.  So everyone could share ammo is someone else ran out.  I laughed at him and told him fat chance of that.

I was the only one in the department that expended the money/effort to buy additional speed loaders to carry extra ammo.  And my partner was a guy who would buy a new revolver, buy a 20 round box of ammo for it, go to the range, shoot 14 rounds without even hitting the 4 ft. by 4 ft. backer the targest were stapled to, pul the last six rounds in the revolver and head back to the office to start his shift.  I watched him do that one day.

He was also the guy that would run a car down and when it stopped pull up beside of it so close I couldn't get my door open.  I had to crawl out the driver's door to get out of that car and he couldn't get the guy out of the car anyway because our front fender was inches away from the other car's door.

Yup, got some stories, but all in the past.  If you go through all the ammo you carried and haven't ended the fight you need to either carry more ammo or hit what you're shooting at.

If feeling like that made me an a hole then I'm still an a hole.

Being a proponent for officer safety and wanting to go home at the end of your shift doesn’t make you an a hole.

Offline Tinker Black

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2021, 10:20:04 PM »
I believe the CZ Custom SDP when new cost around $1400. They are out of production and have a following, so used ones are in demand. If you got yours in excellent condition, then I think you got a great deal, especially for buying from a shop.

My friend had that same SDP. Internally it was great, but externally, it had a fair amount of holster & carry wear and worst of all, the areas around frame pins had a lot of heavy scratches & scarring from someone w/ unsteady hands working on the gun. Still, my friend had no trouble selling his for $875. Posted & sold it in one day.

Offline Tinker Black

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2021, 10:27:54 PM »
I don't know if a Glock mag will work in a P320, but in a pinch, a P320 mag will work in a Glock, as long as the mag is long enough to fully insert up the mag well. You can see at 10:40 in the YT link below.

https://youtu.be/TCFRWFh4Uyc?t=640

Maybe you can try a Glock mag in your X5 to see if it works and get back to us?

Offline Leigion

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2021, 07:49:58 AM »
I don't know if a Glock mag will work in a P320, but in a pinch, a P320 mag will work in a Glock, as long as the mag is long enough to fully insert up the mag well. You can see at 10:40 in the YT link below.

https://youtu.be/TCFRWFh4Uyc?t=640

Maybe you can try a Glock mag in your X5 to see if it works and get back to us?

Mind.  Blown.

Offline Flint

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2021, 12:08:51 PM »
Congratulations on the CZ SDP. Love mine.