Author Topic: I can't find any 527 w/scope pics  (Read 3267 times)

Offline gryphon

I can't find any 527 w/scope pics
« on: September 14, 2021, 02:26:35 PM »
I've tried to do my due diligence but I haven't really  been able to find any pics on this site showing a 527 with a scope. I've read dozens of threads doing a search and found tons of info but no pics. Even though I've really wanted one I have been holding off on buying a 527 in 22 Hornet for years because of bolt clearance. Recently I read where a bolt change a few years ago improved the clearance. I think the 527's are an attractive little rifle but they loose some of their handiness with a tall scope mount. I would likely go with the same scope I've selected for my .22 which is a Leupold 2x7x33. Am I just doing a terrible search. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline BStill

Re: I can't find any 527 w/scope pics
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 02:30:30 PM »

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Offline david s

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »
On page seven of this forum heading there's a title heading "527 scope mounting?". The threads page two shows some photos of the different bolt handles, scope rings (1 INCH) and possible conflicts and solutions.

Offline gryphon

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 01:38:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies. David S, thanks for pointing that out. I had actually found that thread but had failed to notice it was two pages long and missed most of it first time around.

Online crosstimbers

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 12:02:52 PM »
For what it is worth, I haven't had to resort to extremely high rings in order to mount scopes on my 527s. A main factor has to do with the scope you decide to mount, all of mine wear 2x7 variables with slimmer eyepiece bells. Two are Redfield Revolutions and one is a Nikon. If I was trying to mount some of the scopes with larger eyepiece bells I imagine I would have had problems.
It's not saving any water if you have to flush it over and over....

Offline BStill

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 12:44:40 PM »
For what it is worth, I haven't had to resort to extremely high rings in order to mount scopes on my 527s. A main factor has to do with the scope you decide to mount, all of mine wear 2x7 variables with slimmer eyepiece bells. Two are Redfield Revolutions and one is a Nikon. If I was trying to mount some of the scopes with larger eyepiece bells I imagine I would have had problems.
what is the maximum you would recommend?

Online crosstimbers

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 03:30:53 PM »
what is the maximum you would recommend?

Maximum ring height or maximum eyepiece size?

It was trial and error for me. I installed the rings and then checked several scopes I had on hand. The Redfields and the Nikon I had no problem with bolt clearance. I had a Bushnell that the eyepiece was too fat, but I wasnt really wanting to use it anyway. It seems to me that cheaper scopes have bigger, gaudier eyepieces...though some higher priced models do as well.

Offline BStill

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 04:08:40 PM »
maximum objective lens, if that's the right term. 

which I realize depends on ring height.

for example, I ran across a general guideline that medium height rings should give enough clearance with objective lens no greater than 32mm (I think?).  a bigger lens means higher rings.

but just wondering if you have more specific experience with the clearance of the 527 bolt handle specifically. 

I have no experience with scopes.  But as much as I like having irons on my new 527 (my first personally-owned centerfire rifle) after its first range trip a couple weeks ago I realized that my old eyes really do need an optic. 

Offline david s

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 04:32:01 PM »
Some where around 2014 CZ went to the lower style bolt handle. If the Hornets your looking at were made after that I think (don't actually know) that you could mount a Leupold 2-7X33mm scope with out any issues in the lower Calhoon or Warne medium rings. The newer Leupold 2-7 X33mm scope I have on a CZ 452 has an eye box that's 1.555" in diameter (measured with a Vernier caliper and no knurling. Lookin at the scope and a CZ 527 with a scope in Warne mediums it looks like it would work.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:49:20 PM by david s »

Offline david s

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 04:48:34 PM »
Just a thought. The only time I've actually needed the taller Warne (.535"), CZ factory or Burris (.550" Height) was with a CZ 527 Varmint in 204 Ruger and a Weaver 6.5-20X with an odd ball objective that says 44mm but is a bit larger. The scope objective hit the barrel with any rings lower than Warne High (.535") rings. I had a bolt clearance issue with one of the Redfield/Leupold's in 6-18X Revenge scopes in the lower Warne (.425") rings. The newer style bolt handle hit the scopes ocular housing's knurling. I think with the current lower bolt handle all my other scoped CZ's would have worked using the low Calhoon or Warne medium Rings. I can't say for certain as grinding my bolt handles was done almost automatically before CZ came out with there lower style handle.

Online crosstimbers

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 06:12:34 AM »
maximum objective lens, if that's the right term. 

which I realize depends on ring height.

for example, I ran across a general guideline that medium height rings should give enough clearance with objective lens no greater than 32mm (I think?).  a bigger lens means higher rings.

but just wondering if you have more specific experience with the clearance of the 527 bolt handle specifically. 

I have no experience with scopes.  But as much as I like having irons on my new 527 (my first personally-owned centerfire rifle) after its first range trip a couple weeks ago I realized that my old eyes really do need an optic. 

The objective lens is the front of the scope, the issue with bolt clearance involves the eyepiece or rear end of the scope. In the case of the scopes I have mounted the objective ends are all 33 m and there is plenty of clearance over the barrel. A larger objective would easily be doable. of the 3 scopes I have mounted the largest eyepiece is the Nikon, but only by a tad. The bolt clears but is a tighter fit than the Redfields.

I can make a suggestion though. Older Leupolds, especially the fixed power models, often have slim eyepiece bells. I have a 6x Leupold that would be my choice for a 527 if I didnt already have the other scopes mounted. You can find them on ebay at pretty good prices, if you check periodically.

Offline gryphon

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »
I contacted Leupold and asked if the little 2x7x33 Rimfire scope I ordered for my CZ 455 could handle the recoil if I mounted it on a 22 Hornet and their reply indicated that it was more than stout enough for the Hornet. Gonna try it on the 455 first but it may be just what I'm looking for on a Hornet also. It's short and has small ocular and objective bells.

Offline Explosive

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 04:57:05 PM »
I've tried to do my due diligence but I haven't really  been able to find any pics on this site showing a 527 with a scope. I've read dozens of threads doing a search and found tons of info but no pics. Even though I've really wanted one I have been holding off on buying a 527 in 22 Hornet for years because of bolt clearance. Recently I read where a bolt change a few years ago improved the clearance. I think the 527's are an attractive little rifle but they loose some of their handiness with a tall scope mount. I would likely go with the same scope I've selected for my .22 which is a Leupold 2x7x33. Am I just doing a terrible search. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks

Warne medium height purpose made CZ 527 rings work well for me.

Offline Explosive

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 04:58:47 PM »

Offline ATXCZFan

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 11:26:14 PM »

Is that a reflection on the eyepiece, or does the bolt handle just rub it a little?

anything