Author Topic: More failures while firing suppressed  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Northern

More failures while firing suppressed
« on: September 16, 2021, 10:04:00 AM »
I’m having more failures while shooting the Scorpion suppressed. Failures include failure to eject but also failed strikes (trigger clicks but cartridge doesn’t fire. There is no Dent on the primer. Often then the next round in the mag is stretched up.

Any ideas?

Offline nkresho

Re: More failures while firing suppressed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:21:06 PM »
And based on the thread title,  this doesn't occur with the can removed?   How many rounds are doing it?  Like 50%, more or less?  What type of ammo?

I nearly always use mine suppressed with my own reloads and have seen none of those symptoms. 

I run some pretty light recoiling 147gr loads with cci small rifle primers that my glocks won't digest (light strikes and fte/ftf). The scorpion eats them just fine.

Everything clean and lubed?

The factory over-lubrication (mine was literally dripping), combined with the extra blowback of the suppressor will lead to accelerated "gunking-up" of internals.  It sounds like the firing pin might be hanging up or slowing down (light strike), and the bolt may be dragging a bit as well leading to the fail to eject/feed. 

A few hundred rounds through my glocks do nearly the same things with a can installed (light strikes and FTE/FTF).  Quick squirt of powderblast sprayed in the striker channel and the slide's mating surfaces and i'm back in business.

My recommendation is to strip the bolt and every surface it touches inside the receiver, degrease, and re-oil with a light coating.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 06:39:26 AM by nkresho »

Offline LA Scorp

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 09:18:49 AM »
I'm very interested in the outcome - my can is still in jail but looking to prevent any issues before they become issues!
Wish I had as many guns as my husband has tools!

Offline Northern

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 07:58:53 AM »
I’m going to try a full cleanout of the bolt and examine the firing pin. It only happens when running suppressed and it has happened with various ammunition in 124 and 147 grain.

The only modification to this Scorpion is the Dead Air Key Micro muzzle brake which is the QD system for the suppressor. 

Offline Jack Flash

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 04:56:05 PM »
Your not running a booster in your suppressor are you?

Mine has a booster or Neilson Device, I have to remove it and add 2 baffles when running it on my Scorpion.

bonj

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 06:34:10 PM »
I’m having more failures while shooting the Scorpion suppressed. Failures include failure to eject but also failed strikes (trigger clicks but cartridge doesn’t fire. There is no Dent on the primer. Often then the next round in the mag is stretched up.

Any ideas?

I had the same issue with my CZ 75B Omega and returned it to the factory, who advised they had to lengthen the obglive or something like that

Offline Northern

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 11:12:03 AM »
I’m not using a booster.

Offline Jack Flash

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 06:50:48 PM »
Your not running a booster in your suppressor are you?

Mine has a booster or Neilson Device, I have to remove it and add 2 baffles when running it on my Scorpion.

Only problem with that is that aft has said you're not allowed to have extra baffles or spare parts.

You can't even have more than 1 rubber wipe at a time (if that is something the silencer uses).

Every neilson devices or booster that I know of uses a lock out ring when being used on fixed barrel weapons (like the scorpion) or with a spring when used with handguns.  No baffles or spacers are changed or moved or removed during this process.

Possession of suppressor parts that are not part of a licensed suppressor is a crime unless you are a licensed manufacturer.

Found this could be BS thou. But I'm betting that if for some reason the ATF came to my house if I had a booster screwed on the end of a gun...what would they charge me with?

A booster isn't a baffle, and has no effect on sound on it own. When not attached to the suppressor it's basically just a really bad muzzle break. You can buy one now, and even mount it to the gun if you want.

Offline Jack Flash

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 06:47:48 PM »
It's not the booster that you'd have problems with. 

It's the extra 2 baffles that you said you had and used on the scorpion that they would take exception with. 

As I wrote above, you're not allowed to have extra baffles.

You also don't have to replace the booster to use it on a fixed barrel gun.  All you need is a lockout ring.

Silencer came with 10 K baffles. I don't have any extra ones.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 12:02:25 AM »
It's not the booster that you'd have problems with. 

It's the extra 2 baffles that you said you had and used on the scorpion that they would take exception with. 

As I wrote above, you're not allowed to have extra baffles.

You also don't have to replace the booster to use it on a fixed barrel gun.  All you need is a lockout ring.
How could this apply to a modular can? I mean if you take it down to K configuration you'll inevitably have parts sitting around right? Or is it fine because it's part of the original?
USN 2006-Present
CZ 455 Varmit Evolution .22 LR
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
CZ 512 .22 WMR
Cajunized P-09

Offline Northern

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 07:03:56 AM »
I don’t have it in front of me, because for now I can only use it at my FFL’s range, but I believe the Wolfman, which is modular, has a serial number on the main component and on the extension.

Offline Northern

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 11:24:42 AM »
Just a follow up. Through observation I’m concluding tentatively that the issue relates to magazines. I’m in a restricted mag capacity jurisdiction so I use ten round mags. The issues occur solely with the OEM magazines. When I use the CZ-USA mags, no issues.

I’m going to get new (US) followers and bases for the OEM Czech mags and see if that helps.

anything