Author Topic: Primer won't load  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Roscoe2212

Primer won't load
« on: September 28, 2021, 10:36:29 PM »
I just got going after 25 yr hiatus loading 45 acp.  I have a Dillon 550B.   Some of my brass, perhaps 30% or more, does not like the large pistol magnum Federal primers I managed to find. Most of the remaining 70% does fine, and they shot very well at the range today.
I did a search on this forum, but I am confused by the huge variety of leads, most for rifle calibers.
There seems to be a swaging operation, which I know nothing about.  Winchester brass is great, Federal not so much, if that  helps.  I have tons of brass, so no problem scrapping the rejects, if I
must. 8)

Offline El Perdido

Re: Primer won't load
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 11:37:27 PM »
This may sound silly but are the Federal cases those pesky small pistol primer ones?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 05:23:05 AM »
Yeah make sure they are not the newer small pistol primer .45's. Beyond that you can buy a primer pocket swager or a crimp cutter to help with the tight ones. I have both as I had a very large batch of military .45 brass years ago that needed the crimp removed.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 06:52:55 AM »
Wow, shows how old I am and how long .45 acp brass lasts - I didn't know they ever crimped in the primers on military .45 acp.

The small vs. large primer brass is easy to see/separate during your inspection/brass cleaning steps.

Some people hate the small primer brass.  I just segregate it, prime/reload it separately and try to keep it together at the range after shooting some of it.  Work fine for me.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 08:29:49 AM »
Wow, shows how old I am and how long .45 acp brass lasts - I didn't know they ever crimped in the primers on military .45 acp.
This was a box of 5000 spent military cases my dad picked up in the early 60's. They were dated from WWII through the 50's and everyone was crimped. He never did anything with them so when I started handloading in the late 80's I wanted to load for the .45 so I had to buy the extra tools to deal with the crimp. That batch of .45's took a good while to come together because it's really time consuming opening up those primer pockets so the new primer slides in nice without crushing them. Definitely worth the time since the thicker military cases hold up really well to many many loadings.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »
I did a search on this forum, but I am confused by the huge variety of leads, most for rifle calibers. There seems to be a swaging operation, which I know nothing about. 
Due to the multiple meanings of the word lead within the English language, and to further confuse matters its close proximity to a second word leade...
I have absolutely no idea what these 2 quoted sentences are asking. I think you are talking about lead metal bullets, but why you go into a discussion of bullet sizing in the middle of a discussion on primers completely eludes me. If you want to ask a question, then the best policy is to ask one question and one question only per post. Don't confuse the old folks !!  ;D

Thoughts....
1. In the last 15 years, some brands of ammo have introduced SPP into their 45ACP brass. That means the first thing you must now do is sort your brass by primer pocket size. That's what the posts above here are all talking about.

2. In a previous post, was it you that was temporarily using the small primer insertion anvil until Dillon could send you the correct length large primer insertion anvil ? If so, then that would have an effect on your outcomes. Especially with super soft Federal primers.

3. Federal primers are known to have a thinner cup than other brands. That may make them harder to install on the best of days. I know for a fact that you have Winchester primers, and those are slightly more robust in construction. If your issue isn't #1 or #2 above, then by all means start using the Winchester LPP in place of the Federal.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 10:33:06 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Roscoe2212

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 10:22:52 AM »
I was not aware that 45 acp had some that were for small primers.  When did that happen?
The only reason I am using Federal MAGNUM primers is that they were the only ones I could find
available. Winchester will be my choice when available. Meanwhile, sorting it is.
Thanks for the replies 8)

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 10:35:59 AM »
The only reason I am using Federal MAGNUM primers is that they were the only ones I could find
available. Winchester will be my choice when available.

Herb -
With all due respect, sir... I distinctly remember selling you 1K of Winchester LPP.

:o
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 10:45:52 AM »
I was not aware that 45 acp had some that were for small primers.  When did that happen?
I've never found a precise answer as to when they started using the spp in .45 but I've never looked that hard either. I first ran into them about 16 years ago and I've been sorting them ever since. Once sorted I prime them all with their proper sized cap and proceed with loading.

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 02:24:00 PM »
 I think the people that started making 45 auto brass with small primers are the same ones that like to toss a few .380 acp or Makarov cases in with my 9mm brass.

Offline El Perdido

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 02:31:16 PM »
available. Winchester will be my choice when available. Meanwhile, sorting it is.
Thanks for the replies 8)

So you had some SPP brass in your cases?