Author Topic: Left to right or right to left....  (Read 1047 times)

Offline JAKELEG

Left to right or right to left....
« on: August 12, 2021, 11:55:12 AM »
...as you look when sighting.
Changing sights on my 83. Is there a "right way" to drift out the sights?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)
[John Wayne]

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Left to right or right to left....
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 02:55:06 PM »
As you look from the normal holding position CZ sights generally are removed by drifting from the right to the left and install in reverse of that.

Offline JAKELEG

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 10:20:48 AM »
Got it.....thank you
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)
[John Wayne]

Offline john seeley

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 07:31:37 PM »
I also removed rear factory sights R to L and believed they would go on easier from L to R. (Marks on the factory sights prove they were installed L to R.)

But I was TWICE surprised that once I got the fitting close, they SUDDENLY went on easier from the OTHER direction (R to L) as if the dovetail was tapered larger on the right. This happened with my PCR and then a few years later, the SAME THING with my P01. I'm pretty sure I fit them evenly because I'd constantly calipered and use a marker to make sure sights were square. Can anyone explain this?

Lesson learned that when fitting the rear sight, CONSTANLY try from BOTH directions so one side isn't overly loose.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 06:04:26 AM »
Nope never had that issue. I install most sights left to right and I've changed ALOT of sights over the years. I've had issues with sights that came out of the package out of spec and fell right through the dovetail and some that required fitting of every angle but never had a problem going LtoR.
The dovetails are not really tapered and the thing that must be remembered is most sights are installed left to right and since a properly fit sight fits EXTREMELY tight the dovetail gets opened up a bit upon installation of the sight unless your dealing with factory plastic sights such as glock or Walther and the like. Since the sight is normally installed on center the far right portion of the dovetail remains untouched and can usually be tighter then the portion taken up by the sight.
Now all that said I've installed sights on Sig pistols from either direction since the sights on those are usually just as wide as the dovetail in the rear so there's almost no portion of the dovetail not used when the sight is on center.

Offline john seeley

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 12:27:17 PM »
Exactly what I thought.....sights installed at the factory from the left would make it clear that all future installations and removals would be best done off the left side, because like you said, it's been stretched. Well probably my fitting wasn't perfect even though I used methods (described above) to avoid removing material unevenly. Both rears were from CZC (PCR and P01). Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 12:41:23 PM by john seeley »

anything