Author Topic: I'm pleased that I found a matte stainless 75b that has the light gray finish.  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Rmach

I did have a matte stainless CZ75b, but it had that darker gray matte finish that I never liked and the trigger take up was way too long, so I sold it. Today, I found a 2013 matte stainless 75b that has the lighter gray finish that I like with a shorter trigger take up.  The only problem with it is removing the black spots (corrosion I believe). Any guidance on the black spot removal will be appreciated. I think I can remove the spots with some Flitz and Scotchbrite.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:34:36 AM by Rmach »
CZ Shadow 2 Orange, S2 black and blue. Three polished stainless 75b's and a black 75b all with MCARBO kits and front Dawson FO. CZ75b Retro and CZ75b matte stainless.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Beautiful gun. The stainless 75's are getting harder to come by every day. I'd try soaking a cloth in your favorite gun oil and wrapping the gun in it so it makes contact with the dark spots and just let that sit for several days or longer. Maybe it will help lift the spots. I'm pretty sure anything rough or abrasive will change the surface finish.
There are some good rust removers/dissolvers used in automotive restoration today. You could get in touch with any good auto parts house that carries auto body paint and supplies (some Napa stores and many independents) not Auto Zone or Advance. If they have anything that would be worth a shot but I would try it on an inconspicuous spot as even alot of chemicals can change the appearance of the surface finish and I'm sure you want to keep the matte finish as nice as possible.

Offline Steve Menegon

Sweet looking piece! I passed on one like this a few years ago at a show and have been kickin' myself for doing so. Good luck with it.

As far as the spots, I agree with SVPP. You may want to take the gun with you and ask if you can bring it in a store for a visual if they don't object.

Offline Rmach

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure I can remove those black specs. I'll try baking soda and a fine Scotch Brite pad first. If that doesn't work, then I get out the Flitz or Mothers. Now if that doesn't work, the 1000-1500 grit sandpaper will definitely remove them, but I want to make sure I can return the surface to the original matte finish.  Bead blasting is the very last option.  I was hoping some other members might have had the same condition and how they resolved it.
CZ Shadow 2 Orange, S2 black and blue. Three polished stainless 75b's and a black 75b all with MCARBO kits and front Dawson FO. CZ75b Retro and CZ75b matte stainless.

Offline ScottH

You’re going to degrade the finish you like so much. Scotch brite will leave scratches, flitz will polish and darken it, and mothers will polish it too…I’ve had great success stripping them and very lightly glass blasting(I know a little about glass blasting)the whole gun as evenly as I can. This will also remove any of the shiny spots, and brighten up darker stainless.
U.S.M.C. Semper Fi my brothers.

Offline Rmach

You’re going to degrade the finish you like so much. Scotch brite will leave scratches, flitz will polish and darken it, and mothers will polish it too…I’ve had great success stripping them and very lightly glass blasting(I know a little about glass blasting)the whole gun as evenly as I can. This will also remove any of the shiny spots, and brighten up darker stainless.

Interesting, the Scotch Brite would be the light gray 7448, using oil and very light pressure. I couldn't find anything online that said using Flitz or Mothers would darken a matte finish.I don't want dark, so that is concerning.

Many online gun forums have postings about removing scratches from matte stainless which starts with sandpaper to remove the scratch, and then lighter grit paper to polish and then the gray Scotch Brite to restore the matte finish (light pressure and time). Of course, the best matte finish would be a glass bead blast, but I don't want to throw money at this if I can reasonably restore the light color matte finish.  I have Flitz, Mothers and numerous grit sandpapers that I have used for additional polishing on my three high polish 75's and a Ruger SP101, so I have experience, but not on a matte finish.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 02:46:10 AM by Rmach »

Offline ScottH

Please post pics of progress. I can always learn something new. I also rounded up a matt stainless recently. It has shiny spots and rub marks on it that I want gone. If you have good results, I'll try it your way. I'm not one of them guys that knows everything, so I'm open to good ideas, as are you.
U.S.M.C. Semper Fi my brothers.

Offline Rmach

Please post pics of progress. I can always learn something new. I also rounded up a matt stainless recently. It has shiny spots and rub marks on it that I want gone. If you have good results, I'll try it your way. I'm not one of them guys that knows everything, so I'm open to good ideas, as are you.

I just got off the phone with a reputable gun shop (gunsmith), and they said to first try 0000 steel wool and oil, even though I read several people say never to use steel wool on stainless. The person I was talking to said the 0000 steel wool will not change or alter the factory matte finish.  I might try the steel wool first at the bottom of the grip. This will be done next week. I also talked to a different gun shop, and they said to try Flitz first, but the 0000 stainless person sounded more knowledgeable about the black specs.

Offline Earl Keese

CZ's matte stainless is their most fragile finish. IIRC, it is achieved by chemical process and is difficult if not impossible to successfully match with a spot repair. You can always try, and if you fail go with a brushed finish.

Offline Rmach

CZ's matte stainless is their most fragile finish. IIRC, it is achieved by chemical process and is difficult if not impossible to successfully match with a spot repair. You can always try, and if you fail go with a brushed finish.

Thanks, I was hoping you would comment.  So the CZ75 matte finish is not from glass bead blasting? I won't have the gun until next week, but I was preparing to tackle those speckles. I do not want a brushed finish, but a very very slight brighter/smoother finish on the grip area will be acceptable.

Offline Das Hugh!

Try to find some naval jelly. They sue to sell it at auto parts places. Then take a toothpick and apply it in super small amounts just on the small black spots.. no where else. It will turn colors and then should just buff off the residue with a rag etc. It's a good abrasive free way of getting rid of rust. Then wax or oil the spots good. Should work fine. Used it on trucks spot rusting here n there and always took it down to bare metal with no effort

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Offline Earl Keese

Thanks, I was hoping you would comment.  So the CZ75 matte finish is not from glass bead blasting? I won't have the gun until next week, but I was preparing to tackle those speckles. I do not want a brushed finish, but a very very slight brighter/smoother finish on the grip area will be acceptable.
There was a previous thread or two regarding the finish. The one that I had didn't appear to be blasted, it was matte of course and very smooth. Mine had a very small mark on it, but I was afraid to try repair and sold it. Beautiful gun though.

Offline Rmach

The gun shipped in a day early, and my new FFL called me to start the paperwork. I wasn't able to bring it home today because, in Illinois, they have to get approval from the State Police before they can release it, and it was still pending when I was there. Anyway. I did get to see it and inspect it.  The finish has that the light gray shimmer look that I always liked that I saw in the older models, trigger was really good with the shorter take up, and the slide to frame fit was decent.

The black specs on the grip are light. I guess the HD pictures really make them look worse than they really are. After seeing it in person, I'm pretty sure I'm going to try some Flitz first.  I'll update after I try the Flitz.

Update: I will have to wait till next Tuesday to pick it up pending approval. My State Police approval is still pending, and my FFL is closed Sunday and Monday. Illinois is really bad lately on anything firearms.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 02:48:52 AM by Rmach »

Offline 1steelshooter

I use to have a sig stainless 1911. The frame was matte and I managed to scratch it. I bead blasted lightly and the scratches were gone and the frame looked great.  As for using Fitz or some some other polish I would think you will wind up with a shiny spot.

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

Offline Rmach

I use to have a sig stainless 1911. The frame was matte and I managed to scratch it. I bead blasted lightly and the scratches were gone and the frame looked great.  As for using Fitz or some some other polish I would think you will wind up with a shiny spot.

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

I agree, but i can hit that shiny spot with Scotch Brite or 1500-2000 grit sandpaper to dull it down.

Update on page 2.  The Scotch Brite or sandpaper will not dull it down enough if you get too much of a shine. The best result was using the gray Scotch Brite with oil.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 02:54:14 AM by Rmach »

anything