Author Topic: Help me pick  (Read 1502 times)

Offline skippylou

Help me pick
« on: November 13, 2021, 05:46:31 PM »
Hello,

I'm looking for a 9mm handgun for home defense with a threaded barrel. So far the CZ 75 B ? Urban Grey Suppressor-Ready (Omega), Springfield XD-M ELITE 4.5?? OSP and the FN509 Tactical are at the top of my list. One major consideration is how the pistol will fit in my hand. The problem is that I live hundreds of miles from a major gun store that would carry either of them, let alone all of them. I'm looking for information on:

1. Trigger reach.

2. Grip circumference..

I am a woman, 5'5" with average size hands.

PS I am open to looking at QUALITY offerings from other manufacturers.

Offline Fuzzy Sights

• > Dirt
Re: Help me pick
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 07:15:17 PM »
Own several CZs and have fired a XDM though I am not sure it is the same model you list.  Have no experience with the FN 509. The CZ is probably the heaviest of your list, and will do the home defense mission quite well.  The triggers of all you listed the CZ will either be the best out of the box or can be made so.  You might look at some of the CZ custom pistols with a Short reach/reset trigger.  Cajun gun works I think offers similar packages.  The XDM I fired was a full size gun and as a guy with medium hands, it was a chunk.  Trigger was not clean or crisp and the reset was quite long.  Suspect my hands are larger than yours, so the XD may not be your best option.

Might consider a P-07 or 09 from CZ.  Both have been produced threaded barrels. Have a P-07 that is in my home defense battery and it comes with three back-straps to adjust the circumference of the grip.

Hope this helps.

JW
Vivat et res publica!

Think of me as a Newbee who types a lot.

Offline AZ_GunGuy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 07:49:13 PM »
You can replace the grips on the CZ75 to be more thin or wide.  Though I would go with an SP01 for the accessory rail.  Most guns by default are made to fit average sized hands.

Im my experience, steel frame CZs have lighter recoil than most 9mms due to the added weight and low bore axis.  The SP01 imo would be a great choice for home defense.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 07:54:56 PM by AZ_GunGuy »
CZ Shadow 2 OR  - DPP, Armanov Grips, Toni Frame Weight + Thumb Rest
CZ P-10 C - CZC OR Upper, Romeo1Pro
Volquartsen Black Mamba 6" - Romeo1Pro, Ruger Target Grips
Glock 20 Gen 4 - Lone Wolf Threaded Barrel + Comp

Offline radagast

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 08:30:59 PM »
Welcome aboard from NJ !
     I sure don't envy a quest like yours. I got to handle and rent a lot of pistols in my search. Although my hand is average sized, I've got some nerve damage to contend with. While I liked the CZ75s and HK P30s, nothing fit my grip as well as the CZ P07 or P09. After a year shooting my 07 the Wife wanted her own pistol, so we repeated the ordeal and she couldn't  find one she could shoot better. We're both around 5'9 so might have a longer reach though.
     I did have to travel 125 miles the nearest range that had any CZs to try, but I am very happy that I did !     

"Let there be light"  and there was muzzle flash !

Offline AZ_GunGuy

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 08:37:55 PM »
Also radagast made a good point.  You can call all the ranges within 50 or so miles and ask them if they have any CZs to rent.  Hopefully you won't have to drive 125 miles  ;D
CZ Shadow 2 OR  - DPP, Armanov Grips, Toni Frame Weight + Thumb Rest
CZ P-10 C - CZC OR Upper, Romeo1Pro
Volquartsen Black Mamba 6" - Romeo1Pro, Ruger Target Grips
Glock 20 Gen 4 - Lone Wolf Threaded Barrel + Comp

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 05:43:35 AM »
You've made some solid choices there but the best smartest thing you can do for yourself is to make the drive and handle as many pistols as you can till you find the one that feels best to you. I learned from experience not to buy anything I couldn't actually handle first. There have been many pistols that I liked the look and specs on paper but when I finally got to put one in my hand all the love was gone immediately.
Also as has been mentioned if you can find a range with rentals make the drive and try some pistols before you commit to anything this may just save you a several hundred dollar mistake in buying something you hate.

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 08:26:52 AM »
Another option would be to find a shooting club in your area. All clubs love new members, as you should join one of them to perfect your future shooting skill, and most of club members like to show off there handguns and let you handle them, and if you are lucky, some members might even let you shoot them as well.

Online Gunnerdad80

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 12:10:27 PM »
Yes, test drive before purchase whenever possible. Kill any opportunity for buyers remorse to creep in.

Offline Catfishmoon

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 01:54:49 PM »
Another vote for visiting a range that rents firearms and try a variety of pistols prior to purchase... Some extra effort at the start of the process will pay off with more satisfaction in the choice you make.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 10:17:43 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Skippylou
I have zero experience with the (newer) XDs, so I can't speak to them
When it comes to CZ75s, they can be fitted with a Recurved Trigger to shorten the Reach, if you find the Reach of OEM Trigger uncomfortable
https://czcustom.com/cz-75-recurve-trigger-05a.html
And as other have stated, you can use a set of thinner / thicker Grip Panels to fit the Grip to your needs
I use a Recurve on my DuoTone:
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 07:49:59 AM »
People have their own preferences for what fits/feels good in their hand.  Hard to figure out what someone else might like best.

CZ75 Omega is a fine pistol.  I have the P01 Omega suppressor read pistol and it's nice.  Nice feel in my hand, nice shooting, easy to carry concealed.  Liked it so well I bought another one in black.

The XD pistols are supposed to be reliable.  Mine certainly are.  What they are not (none of the three I own) is as accurate as the CZ pistols I own.  You can get trigger kits for them, sights for them and there are a few shops that will do custom upgrades on them, but not to the extent you can get for CZ pistols.

The FN 509??  Don't own a 509.  I have a couple FNS pistols which preceded the 509 (the FNS-C or compact FNS) uses some of the same parts as the 509.  The FNS has a lot of features I really like.  Shooting like my CZs is not one of them, unfortunately.  The FNS has a truly different trigger system than other striker fired pistols.  The trigger pull is different.  Not sure what kind of aftermarket support there is for 509s either.

I've spent the last few years buying non-CZ pistols (and some CZs) without being able to make one shoot like a CZ shoots.  Aftermarket triggers, aftermarket barrels, sights, ammo buying different brands/bullet types and reloading development work and they still won't shoot like a good CZ shoots.

Good luck with which ever pistol you choose.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline bang bang

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 01:00:31 PM »
Welcome,

for what its worth, sometimes you have to do some work as in leave your town to get an answer.  I would make it like a short vacation.  Do your homework and start calling/emailing shops and see what they have if any.  Plot them on a map and then do a road trip.  If you need to do an overnight stay, make happen.

Do you have any shooting clubs in your area?  how about any shooting instructors?  Maybe female?  have you looked down that route to see if any of the clubs have instructors and they maybe able to help.

If you have any shooting ranges in your area, then i would see what they have to offer.  Again, if you need to make a weekend of it, do so.  See if any of the surrounding areas have a shooting range and see what they offer if any.

Do you have any shooting friends?  Maybe co workers that shoot?  friends/family?   Ask them.

i understand its not the answer you dont want to see, but the way i see it, its that if you dont get what will fit your hand, whatever that maybe, you wont want to shoot it much or use to play/practice if at all.

good luck

Offline Trh9905

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 08:52:37 AM »
Go to a gun store that has a shooting range.  Find two/three guns that feel good in your hands, rent and fire each one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline sickpuppy1

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 08:21:53 PM »
FYI, my wife is 5'1" and after 3 trips to the range, she ended up getting the c75B, her choice not mine! She had been solid on a .380 due to low recoil felt.  I talked her into trying a 9 full size since its for home only. She liked those more cause the felt more solid in her grip. She tried several brands and ended up with the 75B. and it is dead nuts accurate out of the box. She did not try the XD though, I know that. Been to the range a few times since and she smiles afterwards so shes still havin fun.