Author Topic: Thoughts on VP9?  (Read 3461 times)

Offline sd408

Re: Thoughts on VP9?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 07:42:49 PM »
General consensus sounds about right.. now factor in CA off roster premium.. these things go for $1400-$2000+ here.. im tempted to buy a BNIB VP9 OR for $1600, which surprisingly is a “good price” in CA for an OR..

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 07:48:54 PM »
Good grief man have you ever considered moving out of that commie wonderland? I can buy VP9's all day long under $700.

Offline sd408

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2022, 07:52:52 PM »
Good grief man have you ever considered moving out of that commie wonderland? I can buy VP9's all day long under $700.
I may be moving out to Las Vegas in the near future depending on where I get into nursing school. It’s wild out here in CA.. P10C? People are asking $1200-$1800. P07? Asking $1300+. P30? $1800+. Dont even start on off roster sigs. Lol $2500+.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 07:56:02 PM »
I hope you get out those prices are simply insane.

Offline sd408

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2022, 08:09:08 PM »
Yup.. i follow gundeals on reddit, and seeing all these $1500+ pistols in CA go on sale for $300-$700 is the worst tease ever. One day. Lol

Offline v35

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 09:57:34 PM »
General consensus sounds about right.. now factor in CA off roster premium.. these things go for $1400-$2000+ here..

:o

That's insane. I have a VP9 for which I paid less than half that much brand new, and it came with an offer for four more free magazines in addition to the one (or two?) included with it. I still thought it was on the pricey side.

Nothing bad to report though, it's typical HK quality and typical HK price. Great trigger, accurate, no complaints except for the price which I would not have paid unless I thought it was worth it.

Interesting headline today: "Gun Sales Soar as Crime Waves Hit LA"

In 2018, a University of California Firearm Violence Research Center study found there were about 4.2 million gun owners in the state and 20 million firearms. That was about 14 percent of the population.

By 2021, the number of firearm owners in the state increased to about 28 percent, according to statistics published by the Pew Research Center.

From 14% to 28% in three years? Equally insane.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 10:06:58 PM by v35 »

Offline v35

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 04:13:43 PM »
PSA has them at what I consider a very good price:

HK VP9 17RD 4.09" 9MM PISTOL W/ NIGHT SIGHTS, BLACK - 81000284

Offline j102

Thoughts on VP9?
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2022, 11:55:30 PM »
PSA has them at what I consider a very good price:

HK VP9 17RD 4.09" 9MM PISTOL W/ NIGHT SIGHTS, BLACK - 81000284

That’s a very good price.

CZ_FANATIC

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2022, 10:30:22 AM »
I only paid $535.00 for my P-10C OR, and IMO it's superior to the VP9.

Offline v35

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2022, 12:41:32 PM »
You know, you kinda got me thinking about my VP9 so I took it out of the safe and handled it for a while.

Yes, it's everything HK says it is and I stand my my earlier comments regarding its accuracy, quality, etc. Then, I asked myself if I actually prefer it overall to any of my CZs and the answer is... no. In other words if I had to choose between the VP9 and any CZ in my possession, I'd choose CZ.

That doesn't take anything at all away from the VP9. It's a fine piece of German engineering. I'm sure it'll be reliable forever; I like the fact it came with three mags plus the deal (at the time) for an additional four free ones, and I also reiterate the PSA price is very good, free shipping, and the lowest we're likely to see for a while. Not the phenomenally great deals that initially drew me to the CZ platform, but good nonetheless.

If you have a burning desire for some HK snob appeal, here's your opportunity. But when all is said and done, snob appeal is all you will really get.

CZ_FANATIC

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2022, 01:13:42 PM »
Perfectly stated on the Snob Appeal, v35. The firearm brand with the most brainwashed, snobbish owners is HK.

Offline WVSurveyor

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2022, 04:06:27 PM »
I don't agree on the snob factor as far as HK owners go, but I guess that's a matter of perception. As I stated earlier in this thread I love my VP9SK, it's a great polymer weapon. I also have a P10-F, which is also a great polymer weapon. The only thing on either one that I would consider altering from their stock configuration are the sights. Other than that, they're good to go as is. I can't say that about a lot of other handgun brands I've owned, metal frame CZ's included. That doesn't make the others substandard, just that it takes some alterations to get them where I like them. I think most of us are like that. The one other handgun that I own that has zero mods is the P365.
Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Tinker Black

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2022, 12:26:53 AM »
If you have a burning desire for some HK snob appeal, here's your opportunity. But when all is said and done, snob appeal is all you will really get.
The funny thing is owning a VP9 is like owning the cheapest Porsche. The real snobs will consider you a poseur who hasn't earned his way into the owner's club. VP is abbreviation for Volkspistole, which literally translates to 'the people's pistol' (similar to Volkswagen). The VP9/40 was designed to be the affordable HK for the masses.

I owned a VP9 that was made in 2016. VP9 triggers are/were known to have a hump feeling in their take-up that gave them a stagey feel. VP9s made since 2020 after the optic-ready models were launched seem to have better triggers. The hump is much less noticeable, and the break feels lighter.

P-10 is a good gun, but I don't like the OEM trigger shoe.

Gen5 Glock has a decent trigger, but a good aftermarket trigger makes it soar.

Walther PPQ & PDP and Canik TP9 standard IMO are a tie and better than all of the aforementioned. The TP9 SFx has the same trigger as the SF series, but breaks about pound lighter, since it's designed for competition. The recently released METE series improves slightly on already excellent triggers. Mainly, Canik shortened an already short reset. The just-released SFx Rival looks to have the same Salient Arms designed trigger that Canik introduced in their Elite Combat, and that trigger is the best trigger I've ever used in a striker-fired gun.

If you liked your P2000 aside from its recoil, you might consider giving the P30 or P-07 a try. The P30 uses a polymer recoil bumper that I find works to damp recoil.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 12:32:29 AM by Tinker Black »

Offline Northern

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2022, 04:32:33 AM »
I don’t experience any recoil beyond what I expect in a polymer gun on my VP9 series pistols. One of my current favorite range guns these days is a VP9 Match. The VP9 also comes with back and side grip panels so you can optimize the grip for your hands.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2022, 10:53:09 AM »
The funny thing is owning a VP9 is like owning the cheapest Porsche. The real snobs will consider you a poseur who hasn't earned his way into the owner's club.

Ha - unfortunately there is some truth in this.

VP is abbreviation for Volkspistole, which literally translates to 'the people's pistol' (similar to Volkswagen). The VP9/40 was designed to be the affordable HK for the masses.

You hear this myth often repeated by certain HK illiterati who want to suggest that the VPs are inferior quality and who want feel superior about their USPs and other classic HKs, but it's not entirely accurate. For starters - "Volkspistole" is not what the pistol is called in any German-speaking country or anywhere else in Europe or Canada, for that matter. "Volkspistole" is the designation for the the pistol only in the USA market, and was nothing more than branding, as HK rightly suspected it would be popular with the large civilian market in the US. In Europe and Canada (and elsewhere), it is the called SFP9 (and SFP40) - abreviation for "Striker-Fired Pistol." And it was initially designed at the request of the Bavarian State Police as a replacement for the P7.

Contrary to the myth, the SFP/VP series was originally developed for professional use, just like every other product in HKs lineup, not as a sub-quality 'pistol for the masses.' At the time, just like their counterparts in N. America, European police wanted to switch to striker pistols and were asking HK for such a product. Whether the SFP/VP series is actually in some way inferior (beyond the mere perception by those who prefer HKs hammer models) is a separate topic and up for debate, I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 02:10:01 PM by Hammer Time »