Author Topic: Studies of Jacketed vs plated bullet accuracy?  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Roscoe2212

Studies of Jacketed vs plated bullet accuracy?
« on: April 08, 2022, 10:18:31 AM »
I had finally settled on a preferred bullet, but then someone raised the issue that jacketed are more accurate than plated cast bullets. Is there data on this?? 8)

Offline Joe L

Re: Studies of Jacketed vs plated bullet accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 11:16:37 AM »
I can only offer anecdotal personal evidence, then then only comparing box but match grade FMJ 115 gr 9mm to JHP 115 gr match grade ammo from the same factory.  I got consistently smaller groups at 100 yards from a rest with the JHP.  I've not shot anything but JHP since.  When I shot IDPA matches at relatively short differences, I couldn't see any differences, so I shot the less expensive FMJ box ammo there. 

The rotational moment of inertia for the JHP is larger than the solid FMJ for a given bullet weight, so perhaps this contributes to a more stable projectory, and perhaps that is why I saw some differences at 100 yards.

When one shoots a few of 3" groups at 100 yards with a 9mm pistol, one is not going to change ammo.
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Auslander

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 02:53:37 PM »
I haven't been able to find anything "scientific."  For pistol distances and velocities, I personally think its whatever the particular weapon likes and what you are experienced in loading.  Every gun has a different personality.  I think it really comes down to consistency.  Bullets that are all made the same are all going to react the same.  When reloading, it is going to be easier to screw up an inexpensive plated projectile as opposed to an inexpensive FMJ either by not flaring the case enough or over-crimping.  If you gouge or cut through the plating.... but we are all experts so that will never happen.  In a nutshell, I think plated pistol caliber projectiles get a bad rap because of loading techniques.  I can screw up expensive FMJ/JHP the same way, particularly with the crimp.     

In addition to weight, consistency in construction is going to affect how a particular projectile deforms to the particular camming surfaces within the barrel.  It is certainly going to help once the projectile leaves the gun. High quality plated bullets (Speer Gold Dot) may be just as accurate as a high quality jacketed one.  A cheaply made jacketed bullet is going to have the same issues in consistent jacket thickness as a cheap plated one. 

One reason a lot of the long distance shooters like monolithic bullets is because the manufacturer can make a very consistent projectile.  A little extra material on one side of the bullet not only will affect its interface with the barrel, but also cause a wobble in flight.

A number of jacketed hollow-points (or OTM's) have good reputations, but that its probably more due to the manufacturing process as opposed to the hollow cavity.  While super-cavitation is certainly a thing underwater and cavitation COULD come into play in air, most jacketed hollow points are formed from the bottom which is going to give a more consistent base for the projectile as opposed to a FMJ that is formed from the tip.  Course, I don't have any facts but adding a "ballistic-tip" does not make a projectile perform worse than an OTM (Sierra BTHP-MK vs Sierra TMK).  Both projectiles are essentially formed the same.  From a practical perspective, I can't tell the difference in my groups between inexpensive X-Treme HPCB or expensive Hornady XTP's.  Both will keep fist sized groups at 50 yards in my 75.  I do have some ancient 147 grain lead projectiles that will stay tighter, but I hate loading them.       

I did find an interesting study titled "Internal ballistics of polygonal and grooved barrels - a comparative study," but they did not control for lock time of a particular barrel design (Browning camming barrel vs Browning-Peterson vs. SAAMI test etc).  They really didn't reach any conclusions but it was interesting to note the stresses on the projectiles.             

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/00368504211016954

Its a bit dated, but I believe Julian Hatcher's notebook also touches on bullet construction and its effects on internal/external ballistics.  If I remember correctly, he was looking at boat-tailed vs flat base in terms of barrel wear but he followed a few rabbit holes.  Interesting read.

I'm new here and my opinion's and "I thinks" aren't worth very much but if you have a projectile you like, load it up and let it eat.     
"A person must have a certain amount of intelligent ignorance to get anywhere."

Charles Kettering

skin

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 04:37:45 PM »
 Referring to pistol bullets, the stress put on the bullet as it enters the rifling is quite great. The jacketed bullet has a thicker jacket than a plated one. Speer bullets have a really thick plating, almost as thick as a jacketed bullet. The copper jacket is stronger structure than a plated bullet, maybe harder. That copper jacket makes less stress on the bullet. Stress from engraving and torque from the rotation.
 If you notice that on most plated (and lead) bullets, you're cautioned to keep below X velocity. All that being said, if your gun shoots them to your accuracy standards  then go for it. High volume shooters save $ by shooting lead coated or plated bullets.
 For hunting or defense, the best bullet your gun shoots accurately would be the choice.

Offline Roscoe2212

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 04:52:24 PM »
Thanks guys-I have some Hornaday jacketed HP coming, found a source about 20 cents per.
Since I shoot reloads at short distances, I may wind up seeing no difference, based on your replies, but it will be interesting.
I don't shoot factory loads much, with the exception of Norma Hexagon 200gr HP, and I don't know if they are jacketed or  not.  They are very good in the accuracy dept. The Xtreme at 12 cents per is currently the low cost choice (caught a sale)

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 09:00:40 PM »
Great question and thanks for posting it. I love pondering details like this.
for pistol, I could see how FJMs have an advantage as mentioned before. Another advantage is less leading at high round count and FPS. Plus if you run a comp or supressor I think jacketed are better.

All that aside, I've heard about better accuracy and barrel orbitration (gas sealing) or whatever when using lead (like in 38 sp for instance), but come to think of it, that may have been using gas checks which would lean more to jacketed stuff. Seems like a lot of bullseye shooters go hard lead for accuracy for whatever reasons, maybe they will chime in. Maybe see what the silouetter shooters (or 357 rifle) shooters prefer and why.

Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 09:24:30 PM »
I'm pretty much in agreement with everything said above.

I went through a phase a decade ago where all I shot was Berry Mfg plated bullets. There were very thickly plated and the quality was very high. Berry is generally acknowledged to have the thickest plating, second only to Speer. They were sponsoring the forum and I was really happy competing with them at short distances.

That lasted until I bought some Precision Delta 124gr FMJ. Using the same gun, dies, powder, primers, holster, gun club range, my hit ratio literally jumped and my scores showed it. I went from the bottom of the roster to the middle of the pack the month I switched.

I also believe there's a lot more ways to screw up loading a plated bullet, especially a thinly plated bullet. If your taper crimp is too much, the case mouth can break the plating and the flight will suffer.

My only problem with the OP's question is NOT telling us "for what purpose". I still carry plated Got Dots for SD, on the range with revolvers I pretty much shoot Hi-Tek coated lead, but for 9mm auto range work I shoot only JHP.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline noylj

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 09:20:46 AM »
Assuming good quality bullets:
Swaged are more accurate than cast (a lot more consistent in weight and dimensions)
Jacketed are at least as accurate as swaged, with no leading issues.
In my guns, jacketed and excellent cast bullets are much better than plated (plated are not as consistent in plating thickness)
Accuracy in my guns  in terms of bullet shape: JHP, swaged SWC or WC, cast SWC or WC, JFP, FMJ/JRN.
I have tried plated SWC, WC, RN, and HP and they have never gone under 3" even at 25 yds. I don't consider that even vaguely accurate.
Next, compared to pricing, I can get JHP from Precision Delta or Zero JHP from Powder Valley for the same or less than plated bullets. If you shoot mostly at plates inside 20 yds, you can do well with cheapest decent quality bullet you can find.
I doubt any of us have the time, money, a g guns to conduct a statistically viable study and the industry certainly has never done so.
Note: my findings are pre-Biden

Offline Vuduarms

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 10:38:45 PM »
From my experience I agree that jacketed shoots more accurate and consistent groups. In the past I would stick to jacketed only, but with the shortage the past year I'm happy with anything I can find.