Author Topic: SP-01 Night sight confusion  (Read 2357 times)

Offline rhodesengr

SP-01 Night sight confusion
« on: May 09, 2022, 10:58:46 PM »
I just picked up brand new California roster CZ75 sp-01. I bought it from Buds. The product description says "night sights" but I am dubious and/or disappointed.
Looks like the front sight is a red fiber optic. The rear sight is a couple of white dots that glow, but barely. What good is it to have glowing rear sights an fiber optic front sight?

I suppose I need to get some different sights. Tritium type? Being new CZ's I am somewhat confused by the different types (tactical, shadow, etc). I obviously would want ones that fit my version.

Offline OldFinger

Re: SP-01 Night sight confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 11:15:04 PM »
You are correct.  The rear sight only has basic glow in the dark dots.

Examples here, many options out there depending on your needs.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sights/cz-sights/?_bc_fsnf=1&model=75+SP-01&brand=35&make=CZ

Nice choice swooping the SP-01.    8)  Smooth.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 11:23:18 PM by OldFinger »
Boomer on CZ

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 11:44:27 PM »
well I don't see how Buds can claim "night sights" when the front doesn't glow. I didn't see any night sights in that Dawson page. I t looks like Trijicon and Truglo have Tritium sights. I think the truglo TFX are both fiber and tritium. That sounds like a win.

I imagine is a fairly common topic. I did some searching and didn't find anything obvious.

Offline Sams1

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 12:13:15 AM »

There certainly are good night sights options for your SP01 - Dawson is indeed a good source.  Personally,  I like the fiber optic front sight - it is easy to acquire quickly allowing you to shoot accurately, faster.  To each his own but this is not the type pistol I would shoot at night... 
Nevertheless, if it was me and night sights are important, I would contact Bud and ask them to stand by their word and make you whole.  They have a fairly good reputation for customer service.  If you contact them, please let us know of the results...

Offline OldFinger

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 01:56:15 AM »
I agree.  Misleading.

It starts with CZ USA calling them...
"Fixed night sights"

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01/
Boomer on CZ

Offline alp3367

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 09:39:12 AM »
I agree.  Misleading.

"Fixed night sights"

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01/

It get's confusing because CZ makes so many skus. There are three skus listed on that page you have to cycle through. The 89152 clearly lists "Fiber Optic Front, Serrated Fixed Rear".

Having said that the CZ brand tritium sights were not that great to begin with. If it's one of the 8xxxx skus and Buds calls them night sights that's on Bud's.

I'm a big fan of Dawson and Trijicon, have had great experience with Meprolight as well.

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 10:55:41 AM »
I agree.  Misleading.

"Fixed night sights"

My sku is  01152 which is the 10 round version we can buy is California.  The CZ website doesn't even say night sights for that SKU. Just says "fixed three dot". Buds passed the buck and I am even a "Team Buds" member. That didn't do me much good. From Buds CS this morning....

"I am sorry that you are not satisfied with the sights. I checked the manufacturer description just to make sure we did not list it incorrectly, and they do say that this one has night sights. If the firearm has not yet been transferred, we would be happy to accept it for return if you would wish to do that. However, if it has been transferred and you have already taken it then we would have to refer you to the manufacturer and see if they are able to help make sure it is not defective, etc. I will link their contact information below.

https://cz-usa.com/support/contact/"

No worries. This is just the way it goes when you buy stuff online. Things aren't always perfect. I will reach out to CZ just to see what they have to say but I will probably be buying some new sights. I wanted to see what other guys thoughts were about the different sight products. People keep saying Dawson but I didn't see night sights listed.

Offline alp3367

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 11:45:06 AM »

No worries. This is just the way it goes when you buy stuff online. Things aren't always perfect. I will reach out to CZ just to see what they have to say but I will probably be buying some new sights. I wanted to see what other guys thoughts were about the different sight products. People keep saying Dawson but I didn't see night sights listed.

Ah. The 01152 makes it even more confusing, but that explains it. When the 8xxxx fiber sighted guns came out due to the tritium supply issue new product numbers were created to denote the different configuration. 91152 became 81152, 91153 became 81153, etc. The ONE exception was the 01152. The model number could not be changed and stay on the CA roster. All the dealers were notified, but it's not surprising at all that it doesn't always trickle down to CS people at companies like Bud's that carry a huge assortment of items.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 12:14:06 PM »
Just to add to the confusion, from the CA roster of firearms "All handguns listed are approved with or without night sights."
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline alp3367

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 12:22:00 PM »
Just to add to the confusion, from the CA roster of firearms "All handguns listed are approved with or without night sights."

Yeah, they're fine with that but you can't change the model name. So it couldn't get changed to a new model number like the rest of the new fiber sighted guns. CA...rules, yippie.

One of my favorite ridiculous CA roster stories was from a few years ago. A friend was going to get his father in law (CA resident) a gift and decided on one of the new (at the time) Ruger 1911s. Nope, not on roster. 100+ year old design and plenty of other 1911s on there, but those Rugers came out after the roster was implemented so no roster for it.

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 12:36:18 PM »
so what happened? CZ recently changed the supplied sights from night to f/o because the couldn't get tritium? Its like one shortage after another. I can't find lead shot for my Trap loads anywhere now.

Anyone here try the truglo TFX?

Offline alp3367

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 12:48:50 PM »
so what happened? CZ recently changed the supplied sights from night to f/o because the couldn't get tritium? Its like one shortage after another. I can't find lead shot for my Trap loads anywhere now.

Basically. Came down to ship them with no sights or find a replacement.

Offline larry8061

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 07:54:49 PM »

Good sights.  GREAT in the day time and pretty good at night...