Author Topic: Impact location change? CZ75-SP01, 9mm-NATO versus regular 9mm (both 124gr)  (Read 1677 times)

Offline cz75bmb

Impact location difference? for CZ75-SP01, 9mm-NATO versus regular 9mm (both 124gr), 25yd.  How much difference in impact would one expect from "internal ballistics"?
(I am asking because I found some 124gr that's 30% cheaper than the NATO I have been buying.  I am trying to decide whether to buy it.)
   Well, I guess I will just stick with 9mm-NATO.  It will have the similar impulse of my Speer-Gold Dots, for my 'rapid-fire' practice.
   Thanks for all the replies. :D  ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 08:50:48 PM by cz75bmb »

Offline Tanners Owner

If I understand your Q, you are asking if you use a different ammo, will there be a POA/ POI or accuracy difference. Chances are yes, but to what degree? For bullseye/ distance accuracy needs, may be more noticeable.

I find in my IDPA games, very little change when I change various ammo on the steel or IDPA targets. Keep in mind, this is not bullseye, but “combat” accuracy.  Any poor shots are the result of me,not the gun in most cases.

My 2 cents worth.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
I don't shoot a lot of factory ammo.

In my experience it can be difficult to develop reloads with the same POI and/or similar sized groups.

Buy some, try it, then decide based on your results whether or not it's worth buying more.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Steve Menegon

I shoot 124gr all the time out of my 75D Compact and SP01. I've shot pretty much all factory ammo. I recently bought some Sarsilmaz Nato to try out. I compared it to Magtech I took with me. Definitely more potent, but it hit in the same spot as the Magtech. It felt like shooting some of the ZQ I have remaining, Fenix 124gr, or Underwood 124gr.

Buy some and try it out if you can get a decent price on it.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
• The answer to your question is most likely 'Yes'. Different ammo will have different points of impact. The answer lies in the recoil impulse, which makes the barrel start to rise right after ignition. How much barrel rise you'll get is based on the weight of the gun, your grip and the energy contained in the round. So based on this, ideally you should see a vertical pattern start to immerge on a paper target when shooting multiple types of ammo.

So I agree with the others. Simply put, different ammo will usually have a different point of impact. If you need a certain target POI, then standardize on one certain brand of ammo that groups well, and then change out your front sight to align the sight picture with the POI. That's much easier and far less expensive.

• Secondly, I'm wondering why you are shooting so much NATO rated ammo. The CZ can shoot this ammo, but in the next sentence from your manual you are also warned not to make a steady diet of this ammo. It's not good target ammo and it's not especially good SD ammo. So you're needlessly adding extra wear and tare to your gun.

If your ammo needs are that specific, then may I suggest that you would be a good candidate to consider home reloading. It's fun. It's easy. It saves a ton of money. And you can easily tailor your ammo to your gun's precise needs.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 07:51:17 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Bret

I'd say eliminating the difference in the point of impact is not worth paying an additional 30% for the ammunition.  Unless you're just an incredible shot already, you'll likely gain more practical accuracy by shooting more.  If you have a fixed amount of money to spend on ammunition, you can shoot 42.8% more by paying 30% less per round (or box or case). 

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
I'd say eliminating the difference in the point of impact is not worth paying an additional 30% for the ammunition.  Unless you're just an incredible shot already, you'll likely gain more practical accuracy by shooting more.  If you have a fixed amount of money to spend on ammunition, you can shoot 42.8% more by paying 30% less per round (or box or case).

Very good point.

Which brings us back again to the subject of reloading. Admittedly, I am off the bell curve as far as normal reloaders are considered. But thankfully, I am still able to load 50 rounds of 9mm at any desired power or accuracy level for under $5. You can calculate the savings for yourself.

I still contend that Reloading is the only hobby that can completely pay for itself.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 11:47:17 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline bonj

• BANNED
• The answer to your question is most likely 'Yes'. Different ammo will have different points of impact. The answer lies in the recoil impulse, which makes the barrel start to rise right after ignition. How much barrel rise you'll get is based on the weight of the gun, your grip and the energy contained in the round. So based on this, ideally you should see a vertical pattern start to immerge on a paper target when shooting multiple types of ammo.

So I agree with the others. Simply put, different ammo will usually have a different point of impact. If you need a certain target POI, then standardize on one certain brand of ammo that groups well, and then change out your front sight to align the sight picture with the POI. That's much easier and far less expensive.

• Secondly, I'm wondering why you are shooting so much NATO rated ammo. The CZ can shoot this ammo, but in the next sentence from your manual you are also warned not to make a steady diet of this ammo. It's not good target ammo and it's not especially good SD ammo. So you're needlessly adding extra wear and tare to your gun.

If your ammo needs are that specific, then may I suggest that you would be a good candidate to consider home reloading. It's fun. It's easy. It saves a ton of money. And you can easily tailor your ammo to your gun's precise needs.

Hope this helps.

Good point Wobbly! CZ does not recommend +P ammo [9mm Nato]

Offline Steve Menegon

Here is a target I shot with my SP-01 UGT. It is a mix of Sarsilmaz 124gr and Magtech 124gr.

I started out shooting a couple 6 round loaded mags (our range rule) at the upper right with the Sarsilmaz. I was more concerned with how it ran initially vs being focused on being in my diamond. Once I knew it ran, then I started my normal pattern change. I then shot one round at a different diamond, alternating the pattern. I try to go 1 second between shots or less. I shot from 10 yards standing.

Other than my misses, I did not see any differences in the impact points with the two different ammos.

Once I went to the 50 yard steel (11" diameter), I was hitting it regularly with a mix of each brand in the mags. I double tapped it once.

These are my results and as always, you & your gun/ammo may vary.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 03:12:02 PM by Wobbly, Reason: Mods set photo width »