Author Topic: CZ457 Varmint journey  (Read 3644 times)

skin

CZ457 Varmint journey
« on: June 13, 2022, 07:27:14 PM »
Over the past eight months, I shot, adjusted and shot again. I used one lot of ammo. Wolf Match Extra made in 2008 (made in Germany ). I tested torque on the stocks and barrel grub screws. I tested with the factory stock. An at one stock and a krg stock.
 I adjusted the trigger from 3.5 lbs to 2 lbs.
 Scope used was a Mueller 8 x 32 target dot.
 First, the torque on barrel grub screws made no difference. I went from 20 inch pounds to 45 inch pounds and saw no group shrinkage. I put them at 35 inch pounds for the rest of the shooting.
 Stock torque showed a preference of between 18 and 25 inch pounds. I put it at 20 and kept on shooting. Average group size shrunk 1/10 of an inch. The groups were unaffected by stock types. No improvement was noticed.
 Lightning up the trigger made some improvements, but nothing ground breaking. Less than. 1 inch.
For 35 five shot groups at 100 yds the average group size was 1.3 inches. Best group was a single. 397. Worst was 2.3.
 This isn't the best ammo for this rifle, but I wanted to see if any one thing would improve the accuracy.
 By the way, I put the factory wood varmint stock back on.
 So far I'm getting a .997 inch group average from 10 five shot groups with sk long range match.
 Now I'm on to test my 457 with a 22 inch  International Barrel Inc. And the fun continues!

skin

Re: CZ457 Varmint journey
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 04:42:56 PM »
 My take on all the testing: You won't get consistent sub moa or moa without going to a higher grade ammo, $20.00 a box or more.
 A good barrel, $300 dollar +. Save the money you would spend on stocks and other things and just buy the higher grade ammo and a good barrel.
 I have a cz457 with a ibi barrel in a mtr stock with a timney trigger set to 1lb and 14 oz. I plan on shooting the wolf match extra just to compare groups and some mid and high grade ammo to see what this setup will do.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 06:11:01 PM »
My take on it is that shooters are expecting too much from the caliber. Shooting at 100+ yards for extreme accuracy is beyond the  poor little 22 round. Even if you spend the $$$ on ammo to overcome primer velocity standard deviation you are left with a poor ballistic coefficient. It’s time to move up to a 17 rimfire or center fire caliber. But that’s just me. I keep it simple and only walk out to 50. I use bulk pack ammo, save money and reduce my shooting stress.

1999 CZ 452 Silhouette with a $3.00 trigger spring upgrade and Federal Auto Match bulk pack. Slow fire 5 rnds on the paper, 10 rnds fast on the 2” dots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 06:15:14 PM by AZ_CZ »
CZ Fanbot since 1996

skin

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 07:46:21 PM »
 I'm doing all this for the challenge. I've rifles that will shoot a mile or more (338 lapua). When I get the opportunity, I shoot my 308 win out to 1000 yds. I've 17's,204,223... The opportunity just doesn't come around as often as I like. With the 22lr, I can challenge my shooting abilities anywhere there's a 100 yard range. No competitions. Just me. For me, 25 and 50 yards doesn't thrill me as much as 100.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 08:47:54 PM »
I find it’s a CHALLENGE to shoot under MOA with a stock skinny barrel rifle using low cost ammo.!  ;D
CZ Fanbot since 1996

skin

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 04:00:26 AM »
 For hunting, I have a cz455 in 17hm2, 17hmr. Both will get me past 100 yards for smaller varmints. Both will shoot around 1 moa. I have a 455 with a 16 inch threaded barrel that will shoot just about any subsonic ammo into 1/2 inch at 50 yards. It's my closeup squirrel gun.
 I like to push the limits of the 22lr shooting paper at a hundred or more just to test me. A light wind will push the little 22 quite a bit.
Any shooting is a great stress reliever.
 That's good shooting! I've always wanted a 455 silhouette.

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 05:25:32 PM »
For the last 8 months I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of NRL22 and PRS22 with a rimfire.  My rifle is a CZ455 VPT (Manners stock) that I bought used from a friend.  He did the ammo testing and told me SK Long Range Match was the best of the moderately priced ammo, Center-X was best but at more $$.  For whatever reason (I suspect head-space) it does not like Eley. 

I’m enjoying the challenge of shooting NRL22 based on the various positions it requires you to shoot from (tank traps, barrels, rooftops, PRS barricade, ladders, saw horses, etc.) and working on fundamentals of building a solid shooting position, or even trying to master the standing unsupported, kneeling, seating, and prone unsupported challenges.  In NRL22 the majority of the targets are inside of 100 yds but may be small plates which adds to the challenge.  But my local NRL22 match will also do a couple bonus stages with targets out to 300 yds.  I’ve noticed that PRS22 (at least at this one club I shoot at) likes to push the distances with a fair number of targets between 100 and 200 yards, and even a few out to 350. 

My 455 has the 20.5” varmint barrel (non-MTR) which I like for the balance but not too long that I can’t maneuver it around in tight quarters (I’m not running a can).  I had the typical 455 bolt issue of sticking or coming out, so swapped it for a Timney which has been running good at 1.5 lbs trigger pull.  To get it so the rifle was balanced I added a 14” weighted Arca rail with 5 brass weights from Area 419.  This added about a pound the gun which helps steady it in addition to balancing on barricades to reduce the wobble.  The Arca rail also allows me to attach a slim bag to the fore-end to further aid in holding the gun steady on props or slide the bipod back and forth as the shooting position dictates. 

For the scope and rails, I’m running a 30MOA rail on the receiver’s dovetails and have an additional 20MOA of cant in the scope rings.  The 50MOA total of cant lets me make full use of the scope’s internal travel even at a 50 yd zero, and I have enough elevational travel to dial 24 MILS of up to get out to 400-ish yards. 

Burris XTR Pro scope to top it off.  I got that glass back in April and really like that scope.  It checked all the boxes of what I was looking for in a scope for NRL22/PRS22.  20 yd minimum parallax, great field of view, 12 MILS per turret rotation, 26 MILS of elevational travel, and really good glass clarity that helps me see my bullet trace with the right lighting conditions. 

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 05:31:09 PM »
My take on all the testing: You won't get consistent sub moa or moa without going to a higher grade ammo, $20.00 a box or more.
 A good barrel, $300 dollar +. Save the money you would spend on stocks and other things and just buy the higher grade ammo and a good barrel.
 I have a cz457 with a ibi barrel in a mtr stock with a timney trigger set to 1lb and 14 oz. I plan on shooting the wolf match extra just to compare groups and some mid and high grade ammo to see what this setup will do.

I’m contemplating getting an IBI for my CZ455.  Just curious, which one did you get and what is the wait time (circa summer 2022)?  Did you see much improvement over the stock barrel?  Right now my 455’s VPT barrel shoots acceptably well for gun games, and if I miss it is usually my wind call.  So I’m not sure I really need one, but a new barrel has been on my mind lately…(FOMO?)

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 08:06:21 PM »
For hunting, I have a cz455 in 17hm2, 17hmr. Both will get me past 100 yards for smaller varmints. Both will shoot around 1 moa. I have a 455 with a 16 inch threaded barrel that will shoot just about any subsonic ammo into 1/2 inch at 50 yards. It's my closeup squirrel gun.
 I like to push the limits of the 22lr shooting paper at a hundred or more just to test me. A light wind will push the little 22 quite a bit.
Any shooting is a great stress reliever.
 That's good shooting! I've always wanted a 455 silhouette.

Great minds think alike! Have 452 in 17hm2 that’s my go to for 100yrds and a 452 16” factory threaded barrel. They’re a hoot to shoot. Sadly I sold the 17hmr and moved up to a 223 (easy to reload)
CZ Fanbot since 1996

skin

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 08:13:45 PM »
 I've watched some really good shooters in the nrl22 and prs22. I find it fascinating what they can do.
 I bought my IBI barrel from Brownell.  It's the straight 22 inch 1:16 twist. It has reduced the size of my groups at 100 yds by 1/10 to 1/4 of an inch depending on the ammo compared to the stock non mtr barrel. The difference between my IBI and a friend's Lilja was not noticeable and mine was less picky about ammo.

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 08:19:20 PM »
I've watched some really good shooters in the nrl22 and prs22. I find it fascinating what they can do.
 I bought my IBI barrel from Brownell.  It's the straight 22 inch 1:16 twist. It has reduced the size of my groups at 100 yds by 1/10 to 1/4 of an inch depending on the ammo compared to the stock non mtr barrel. The difference between my IBI and a friend's Lilja was not noticeable and mine was less picky about ammo.

Copy, thanks.  Sounds like you’re shooting SK Long Range Match, which is the same ammo my 455 already likes and I have a bunch of.  Good to know the IBI’s chamber likes it. 

anything