Author Topic: Rami grip screw replacements  (Read 5590 times)

Offline floridaman

Rami grip screw replacements
« on: February 01, 2022, 08:10:17 AM »
Hello,

I recently was changing the grips on my Rami and had an issue uninstalling and reinstalling a grip bushing. The bushing came out with all the threads from the frame in it and the threads on the bushing after cleanup are also warped. I’m now stuck with a Rami with grip on only one side. I tested a proper bushing in the wallowed out grip thread and it actually holds alright and with loctite I wouldn’t feel too bad about it so long as it doesn’t recess and bind my magazine.

Does anyone know of another make of firearm that uses the same bushing, or have any extras they’re willing to sell? I’ve searched and it seems these parts are long gone from catalogues.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 08:14:18 AM by floridaman »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Rami grip screw replacements
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 10:53:23 AM »
I think that bushing is unique to the Rami and you're right no one has any. 1911's and Beretta both use grip bushings but without knowing what size the Rami bushing is I couldn't begin to guess if one of those could be grafted to work. You did mention that the frame threads are galled too so even if you had a new bushing to Loctite in there it will only be a very temporary fixed and will eventually completely strip out.
You might want to let a competent gunsmith have a look at it before going any further. If you get that frame hole wallowed out to big you know what happens then.

Offline floridaman

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 11:27:23 AM »
I think that bushing is unique to the Rami and you're right no one has any. 1911's and Beretta both use grip bushings but without knowing what size the Rami bushing is I couldn't begin to guess if one of those could be grafted to work. You did mention that the frame threads are galled too so even if you had a new bushing to Loctite in there it will only be a very temporary fixed and will eventually completely strip out.
You might want to let a competent gunsmith have a look at it before going any further. If you get that frame hole wallowed out to big you know what happens then.

Well, I can imagine there will just be no grips left if it widens. I’ve had this same issue with valve covers and steel bolts. Sometimes the aluminum melds into the threads, especially with heat applied. I guess I can see if Cajun will take a look at it; I don’t personally know any good gunsmiths.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 01:12:36 PM »
I would definitely give them a call. Hopefully they can graft in a bushing and save the day.

Offline coinsets2001

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 10:43:55 PM »
Hello,

I recently was changing the grips on my Rami and had an issue uninstalling and reinstalling a grip bushing. The bushing came out with all the threads from the frame in it and the threads on the bushing after cleanup are also warped. I’m now stuck with a Rami with grip on only one side. I tested a proper bushing in the wallowed out grip thread and it actually holds alright and with loctite I wouldn’t feel too bad about it so long as it doesn’t recess and bind my magazine.

Does anyone know of another make of firearm that uses the same bushing, or have any extras they’re willing to sell? I’ve searched and it seems these parts are long gone from catalogues.

Hello, did you find the Rami grip screw bushing you were looking for?

Offline floridaman

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 07:37:08 PM »
Hello,

Hello, did you find the Rami grip screw bushing you were looking for?

No. I had to pay CGW a bunch of money to fix it. But they did some other stuff while it was there.

anything