Author Topic: Anyone else notice decreased sales of scorpions  (Read 9150 times)

Offline John A.

Anyone else notice decreased sales of scorpions
« on: June 20, 2022, 08:49:24 PM »
post deleted voluntarily

« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 08:24:17 AM by John A. »
I used to think politicians made stupid gun laws because they were stupid.  Now, I know they do it as ATTRITION.

Offline studenygreg

Re: Anyone else notice decreased sales of scorpions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 11:26:21 PM »
I have the 1st gen scorpion micro.  I think the new one is uglier. The new one takes a different magazine. That's a deal breaker since I have tons of mags already. I don't need the ambi controls of the new one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline PeteMe

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 01:23:31 AM »
Changing magazines was the most stupid thing CZ could have done. Nobody cares about backward compatible magazines when there are tons of excellent decently priced original type magazines. Mildly improved ambi controls are not worth the trade off. The controls on the original are good enough and ambi enough. The better route would have been to make ergonomic changes to the grip without changing the attachment footprint and the correspondence ability to take already produced aftermarket grips. Another change could have been a better charging handle from the factory. Or how about a better out of battery firing protection upgrade. While OOBs are rare, it would have been a selling point. Or the ability to chamber a round with the hammer forward and safety on. Maybe the new generation has these features but a different magazine would still not make it worth it to me and probably a lot of the other Evo owners.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 08:57:35 AM »
Too expensive now for what it is, imo. When you could find one for around $700 they made more sense.

Offline alp3367

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 10:26:24 AM »
 While there are certainly some issues for the scorpion itself in a broader view the entire industry is backed up on certain types of product. Distribution channel is full of ARs and other msr, pcc, and tons of pistol varieties. It's the same with many dealers. There are a lot of factors involved but sales are quite a bit down vs 2021. 2021 was a bit of an aberration, most forecasts but the industry being down about 30% vs last year overall. 

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 10:36:19 AM »
While there are certainly some issues for the scorpion itself in a broader view the entire industry is backed up on certain types of product. Distribution channel is full of ARs and other msr, pcc, and tons of pistol varieties. It's the same with many dealers. There are a lot of factors involved but sales are quite a bit down vs 2021. 2021 was a bit of an aberration, most forecasts but the industry being down about 30% vs last year overall.

True, but sales being down from last year doesn't necessarily mean the industry is actually suffering. Sales this year being less than one of the most phenomenal sales years for the gun industry in its entire history can still mean that sales are quite good overall. No one who know's what they are doing when it comes to sales forecasting should have thought that the last couple years would continue without some 'correcting' of the market.

Offline alp3367

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 10:44:41 AM »

True, but sales being down from last year doesn't necessarily mean the industry is actually suffering. Sales this year being less than one of the most phenomenal sales years for the gun industry in its entire history can still mean that sales are quite good overall. No one who know's what they are doing when it comes to sales forecasting should have thought that the last couple years would continue without some 'correcting' of the market.

I completely agree. Which is why I mentioned 2021 was an aberration. ;)

This industry has had big swings every few years for a few decades now. Lots of unique factors affect the firearms industry, in addition to all the regular stuff like inflation.

For the firearms industry 2018-2019 are a much better baseline of "normal".

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 12:14:27 PM »
One scorpion sitting on a shelf in 1 location and low post count is hardly a basis to say sales are down, but I’ll play along. My guess is that pending ATF rulings concerning pistol braces are slowing potential buyers. I know the issue has been raised on a couple of gun boards recently about what to do if they have to remove a brace. No one seems to want the hassle of an SBR. No one wants a giant pistol. OR it could be the economy. What was the LGS asking? Could you buy it cheaper online. That’s my other guess; the slow demise of the LGS.

On a side note when I read the Subject line I wondered if you lived in my neighborhood! Missed the Sales part. Been a sharp decline in numbers in the last month. Gone from 3 - 5/night on my stroll to 1/ week. Lizards on the other hand are at an all time high. Everyone I know has been commenting on it.  :D :D
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline 3guneric

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 07:59:35 PM »
Gun and ammo $$$ going into the gas tank and supermarket tab, savings evaporating, economic failure looming.  Most who were going to buy a gun have done so - others are still asleep or watching Disney/sports/netflixs.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 08:01:37 PM »
Low post count?

Dude, I've been a member here for years.

My apologies. I thought your original statement was referring to reduced forum posts concerning the new model.

a serious down tick in new folks asking or talking about the new scorpion models.
[/color][/b]
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 09:15:16 PM »
"The simplest explanation is usually the correct one." - Occam's Razor

It's over-priced.  ;)

Online MeatAxe

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 09:08:37 AM »
I think the fact that CZ has jacked the Scorpion’s price up from @ $800 to @ $1,200 over the past few years has a lot to do with it. Plus, after you buy one you’ll want to fix all the various ergonomic niggles that plague the stock Scorpion: the forend, safety, trigger pull, pistol grip, charging handle, mag release, etc. etc., plus add a brace, better muzzle device, etc., etc. plus the pain in the ass of removing the barrel nut, etc….pretty soon you’ve put another $600 to $800 into it, plus all the time and effort to get it done…at that point, a $2,400 B&T looks like a pretty good deal compared to the plastique Scorpion, all things considered.

Plus, CZ came out with the Evo 3 Plus, with its idiotic magazine change, just as they announced that they were discontinuing the current Evo 3 models.

On the plus side, regular Evo 3 mags are dirt cheap now.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:39:32 AM by MeatAxe »

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 09:21:27 PM »
….pretty soon you’ve put another $600 to $800 into it, plus all the time and effort to get it done…at that point, a $2,400 B&T looks like a pretty good deal compared to the plastique Scorpion, all things considered.

Or a $1900 MPX, for that matter, which is what I now own and am seriously impressed with. Both the B&T and the MPX are leaps and bounds more evolved than the new Scorpion, and I say that as a big CZ fan who used to own a Scorpion.

Online MeatAxe

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 11:52:01 PM »
….pretty soon you’ve put another $600 to $800 into it, plus all the time and effort to get it done…at that point, a $2,400 B&T looks like a pretty good deal compared to the plastique Scorpion, all things considered.

Or a $1900 MPX, for that matter, which is what I now own and am seriously impressed with. Both the B&T and the MPX are leaps and bounds more evolved than the new Scorpion, and I say that as a big CZ fan who used to own a Scorpion.

I looked hard at the MPX, but the one I rented had a broken extractor and wouldn’t cycle. The Scorpion, though, kept chugging along, round after round.

Also, SIG has gotten a nasty rep for suddenly and significantly changing models without notice, and then refusing to support the previous model with parts and service.

Of course, now with 20/20 hindsight, I wish I’d considered the B&T APC9, or better yet, the APC10!

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 09:10:16 AM »
The pending decision on braces is definitely having an impact on all large format pistol sales in general.