Author Topic: 220gr Xteme bullet for 40 cal TSO  (Read 341 times)

Offline Harrell2Xtap

220gr Xteme bullet for 40 cal TSO
« on: July 31, 2022, 11:06:20 AM »
So I'm gonna try this again. New to the site and still learning, my question is has anybody loaded 220gr xteme for the TSO for limited major in Uspsa. Info I'm looking for is o.a.l and what powders to try. I'm not looking for specific data just which direction to go. I currently have tightgroup,VV320,AA#2, and cleanshot and will  try them in that order unless someone has a better powder worth trying. I'm not new to loading, been loading for 15 years as a hobby and 10 years as a commercial loader running Ammoloads. Thanks for any help

Offline tdogg

Re: 220gr Xteme bullet for 40 cal TSO
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 11:33:30 PM »
I can't answer your question as I haven't loaded that bullet for my TSO's but I can provide some thoughts.

My main concern would be seating depth with that heavy of a bullet.  Have you cut the chamber to handle the longer oal?  Cz's generally run better with a shorter oal regardless and that bullet may end up seating into the thicker part of the case webbing causing bulging and chambering issues.

Not sure I'd want to run that heavy of a bullet.  It might feel softer but it most likely is way slower.  I've found running heavy bullets generally doesn't bring the gun back on target as quick.   

I'd perform a push test with it and see how long you can load it.  That might inform your decision on if it's worth load development.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 10:21:41 AM »
I'm not a big time 40 shooter, but those thoughts echo my feelings on the subject.  I thought 165gr was the accuracy bullet for 40 cal competition.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Ask me about used Dillon reloading equipment.

Offline Harrell2Xtap

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 06:52:08 PM »
Well I just switched to the TSO to get my limited score up. I came from carry optics running a Shadow 2 Orange with xtreme 165 bullets. So I have already tried some 180 plated then went to 200 BBI in the TSO and it was better as far as recoil goes. Just trying to get the least amount of recoil possible, bullets will be here in 2 days and will try them out. From what I gathered so far 1.125 is probably going to be the c.o.l. Guess I will test and see what happens. Thanks for the feed back.

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
Your OAL will change with each and every bullet. It's a function of several factors including...
  • Bullet length
  • Case geometry
  • Feeding characteristics
  • Chamber design

Offline Harrell2Xtap

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 05:32:07 PM »
Ok the load work up is done. I went with titegroup and c.o.l was 1.145 which surprised me a little because from everything I read Cz's have tight chambers and mag internal restrictions. All is well I was getting average 750 fps with 3.3 gr of titegroup and I filled the mag with 20 rds with the CZC base plate with no jams. Eventually I will redo this data with VV320 but needed it kinda quick for this weekends USPSA match. Really wanted to run in limited and put Carry Optics on hold while I get my classification up. Thanks for the replies and when I use the VV320 I will let you know my results by the way softest recoil so far followed by 200 BBI bullet with 3.6 gr of titegroup.

Offline Harrell2Xtap

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 07:36:24 PM »
SORRY didn't read the post about making it easier for load data
Equipment: Dillon 650
Caliber:  40 S&W
Bullets:  RMR seconds 220 gr
Brass:    Mixed
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup
Max Velocity:  880
Primer:  Gen X nickle
OAL:     1.145"
Pistol:    CZ TSO  Barrel 5.25in
Qty:      5 rounds each, slow fired
Weather:  80 indoor range
Chrono:  Caldwell Ballistic Precision Premium Chronograph Kit

Load      Avg Vel           SD
3.0gr        698             16
3.2           726             18
3.4           772              8
3.6           797             13
3.8           822             19

Offline Harrell2Xtap

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 07:42:11 PM »
Forgot to add my accuracy info as well. 10 yards free handed leaning against wall 5 shot group was sub moa. I shot a 3 shot group at 5,10,15 and 25 yards. Same point of aim I shot all 12 shots into a 2.75 inch circle so I was happy with that.

Offline tdogg

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 09:37:15 PM »
I'm sure they all plunked fine as you ran them but did you figure out the barrels maximum oal using the push test or other method?

Was there any sign of case bulge due to seating depth?  How long are those bullets?

Hope they run well at your next match!

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline Harrell2Xtap

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 12:46:55 AM »
Well the bullets did all run well but I did run into a problem ejecting live rounds when finish show clear 2 out of 6 stages they would hang up when ejected. I did measure the bullet but didn't write it down I believe it was .650 but don't hold me to that and they all did plunk test because I don't have a 100 ct case gauge for the 40 yet so every rnd whet in the barrel before the match. Probably gonna seat down to 1.135 and see if that clears ejection port and no case bulge to speak of but I did run a case expander and a small bell and just replaced dillon crimp die will LFC die and was getting .420 of case mouth measurement after crimp.

Offline Wobbly

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 03:30:18 PM »
Well the bullets did all run well but I did run into a problem ejecting live rounds when finish show clear 2 out of 6 stages they would hang up when ejected.
I believe your bullets are being buried in the rifling due to excessive OAL. They wedge into place and make it extremely difficult to extract the round. You are right on the cusp of having the gun fire out of battery, a very dangerous situation.

I did measure the bullet but didn't write it down I believe it was .650 but don't hold me to that and they all did plunk test because I don't have a 100 ct case gauge for the 40 yet so every rnd went in the barrel before the match. Probably gonna seat down to 1.135 and see if that clears ejection port and no case bulge to speak of...
• It doesn't matter what the bullet dimension is ! You're not loading just the bullet. Your gun, like all others, is shooting a cartridge (the bullet plus the case). It's the finished cartridge length (the OLA) that matters to your gun.

• And the reason you are in this trouble, IMHO, is that you are GUESSING at your OAL. The OAL is not a single number, it is an acceptable range of numbers. You need a range because every production line has variations, and you need to know that all your finished product falls within that acceptable range.

• What exactly is "no case bulge to speak of" ?? What do these "bulges" physically measure ? This part of reloading is a science, and science can only be described by precise measurement numbers.

...but I did run a case expander and a small bell and just replaced Dillon crimp die will LFC die and was getting .420 of case mouth measurement after crimp.
• I'm wondering what your taper crimp measurement was with the Dillon TC die. And are you loading on a Dillon press ?

• Some people here have had good luck with the Lee FCD, but they are in the minority. The FCD often introduced MORE issues than it solves. And it has a complex adjustment which you'll need to understand and follow. You're in trouble as it is, so why would you go looking for more trouble ?

>> If you'll simply read through all the reloading instructions we have provided at the top of this forum, then all your issues will go away. You are simply the latest in a LONG line of CZ brothers who encountered minor reloading issues.

All the best
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 03:44:05 PM by Wobbly »

Offline Harrell2Xtap

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 07:11:23 PM »
Ok so might of left some stuff out on the last post. When I stated the load I seated the bullet down until it would not plunk. That measurement was 1.155 and at that point I reduced it down to 1.145 to allow for some variations between the projectiles. My only problem is that a bullet that's loaded at 1.145+ will have problems ejecting from the ejection port its definitely not contacting the lands. My crimp measurement is .420 and I'm not aware of the problems that exist with the LFCD to be fair I just switched to that crimp die from a dillon taper crimp . Case bulge to my understanding is when a bullet is seated and creates a bulge near the base and that wasn't a problem that I had. So to sum up my only problem was the o.a.l was to long for a loaded round to eject threw the ejection port a portion of the time. Fixed my problem by seating the bullets down to 1.135 and manually cycled 50 loaded rounds with 100% success rate. Reloading is very much a  scientific method that's part of trial and error well found my error and problem fixed thanks for the replies.

anything