Author Topic: DWX news?  (Read 16160 times)

Offline Whereisit

Re: DWX news?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2023, 06:31:29 PM »
Glad to see some news on the DWX.  It took a while for DW to finally get the product to the shelves, but everything I've seen and read indicates that it was worth the wait.

I've been waiting to buy, but I was hoping that an optic ready version would be offered.  I contacted DW for an update and was told that they don't expect the optic ready DWX to be introduced until probably Shot Show next year. Waiting almost another year for an optic ready version is a long time. I may just go ahead and pick one up now and have it milled.  DW recommended Precision Machine for the milling.

Just out of curiosity, for those who have had their DW milled, what finish do you recommend for the slide so that it matches the frame?  According to the DW website the DWX has a DLC finish on the slide which is a premium finish. I hate to have one milled and have it refinished with Cerekote.  Nothing wrong with Cerekote, but to my understanding a DLC finish is superior. The only other option usually offered is Black Nitride which is also a premium finish but I'm not sure how it would match the frame.  Since I haven't been able to see a DWX in person, I'm a little undecided on which way to go. Any recommendations?     

The DW rep also said that they are working on getting the the DWX Compact to market and it could finally be introduced BEFORE July of 2023.  Of course we've all seen estimates before on the availability of the DWX and have seen how they don't always happen when expected, but it is something to watch for.
CZ Custom might have a DWX in stock and can get the milling done for you with the dlc coating.

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2023, 07:18:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been checking their website off and on and haven't seen a DWX listed. Just checked a few minutes ago and nothing.

I did find a DWX at below MSRP and went ahead and ordered it today. I was tired of waiting and if you saw my other post, DW is saying that the OR version might not come out until Shot Show next year. I've been waiting for this one for over three years already and decided to go ahead and get one now and decide about the milling later.  It seems that DW would have come out with a OR version now, since they've had three years to prepare for it.  But that seems to be the way CZ does things....come out with a new product and then drag out the introduction of the OR version later. I guess that way they can have something new to look forward to down the road. 

In the meantime I will probably contact CZ Custom to inquire if they do the milling for the DWX and if they can also do the DLC finish so that the frame and slide will match. I also want to check out having it milled for a plate instead of a direct mount. I think I would prefer the ability to swap out plates if I decide to change my red dot at a later date. I've never had a slide milled before and need to learn more about it.

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2023, 07:32:15 PM »
I know I was disappointed to hear that it might be almost another year for the OR version of the DWX to be released. I had heard rumors that it might appear in the 2nd quarter, but if the rep that I spoke to knew what he was talking about that won't happen.

It will be just my luck that it does though. I decided that I was tired of waiting and when I found a DWX below MSRP today, I went ahead and ordered it. I was just tired of waiting. This will give me some time to get used to it and to decide what to do about milling it. I'm like you, I had thought about delaying the DWX and looking for a CZ TS2 Orange, but they're even harder to find than the DWX, and then you have the same problem about there being no OR version.  I guess one could always go with the frame mount red dot on that one though.

I also want to check out having a slide milled to accept plates. I think I would like to go that route so that if I were to decide at a later date to change my red dot to another brand I could do it by buying a new plate, even though I have to admit direct mounting a SRO is awfully appealing. 

It's frustrating when manufacturers promise all of these new models and then take forever to get them to market. At least we still have the DWX Compact to look forward to, hopefully this summer.  A little waiting time will also give my wallet a little time to recover. 

Offline earlan357

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2023, 04:24:27 PM »
Whelp, there goes the warranty.

I reamed out the slide's recoil spring tunnel to .355" and finished the end with a light countersink. Then cut down a stainless guide rod for an X5 Legion.  Had to turn down the base diameter to .430".  Due to the fatter rod, I had to chop it about .050" below flush to be able to install it.  Now she accepts standard 5" 1911 springs.  The spring at full recoil is compressed to 1.640".  On a 5" 1911 it's 1.625" so there's no danger of coil bind.  Milled off the top and bottom of a 1911 flat bottom firing pin stop from EGW.  Gave it a 1/16" radius.  Lighting makes it look uneven.  19# mainspring and Wolff 11# recoil spring shoots super flat with 130PG 147gr.  Slide is off to Vulcan Machine to get milled for an RMR pocket with a Glock rear dovetail in front of the optic. 

Offline BisonWorld

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2023, 12:31:10 PM »
Glad to see some news on the DWX.  It took a while for DW to finally get the product to the shelves, but everything I've seen and read indicates that it was worth the wait.

I've been waiting to buy, but I was hoping that an optic ready version would be offered.  I contacted DW for an update and was told that they don't expect the optic ready DWX to be introduced until probably Shot Show next year. Waiting almost another year for an optic ready version is a long time. I may just go ahead and pick one up now and have it milled.  DW recommended Precision Machine for the milling.

Just out of curiosity, for those who have had their DW milled, what finish do you recommend for the slide so that it matches the frame?  According to the DW website the DWX has a DLC finish on the slide which is a premium finish. I hate to have one milled and have it refinished with Cerekote.  Nothing wrong with Cerekote, but to my understanding a DLC finish is superior. The only other option usually offered is Black Nitride which is also a premium finish but I'm not sure how it would match the frame.  Since I haven't been able to see a DWX in person, I'm a little undecided on which way to go. Any recommendations?     

The DW rep also said that they are working on getting the the DWX Compact to market and it could finally be introduced BEFORE July of 2023.  Of course we've all seen estimates before on the availability of the DWX and have seen how they don't always happen when expected, but it is something to watch for.

I would not recommend nitriding a stainless dlc coated slide. You may potentially make it brittle due to the temperature and duration at which it is normally applied.

Offline SEAKPhotog

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2023, 02:22:01 PM »
  Slide is off to Vulcan Machine to get milled for an RMR pocket with a Glock rear dovetail in front of the optic. 

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2023, 06:10:03 PM »
Well, I just picked up my new DWX today.  What a beautiful pistol!

People say $2G is a lot of money for a pistol, and it is, but you definitely get your money's worth when you finally get to see one in person. The quality in the fit and finish and the operation is absolutely perfect.  All I can say is that CZ and DW did themselves proud with the DWX.  It was worth the wait.

Offline Oklahoma Jim

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2023, 06:46:47 PM »
It's too bad it's not milled for an optic from the factory.  I don't see a provision for a side mount either.

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2023, 08:53:40 AM »
It's too bad it's not milled for an optic from the factory.  I don't see a provision for a side mount either.
That's my biggest complaint too. With over three years since it was first announced, it should have been offered right away after it finally hit the shelves. But that seems to be the way CZ does things. First they introduce a new pistol and then it's a year or two before they get around to making an OR version. With the popularity of red dots today, IMO ALL new pistols should be designed to be OR from the start.

Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that CZ is a Czechoslovakian company, and possibly red dots aren't as popular there as in the US. Still, when a big portion of their market is in the US, it should include OR models from the start.

If it's any consolation, DW reps said it should be available after Shot Show next year. 

Offline JDP

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2023, 01:51:46 PM »
Any idea if CZ is manufacturing the .40 DWX? I sure am interested in purchasing one but I cannot find any shops with inventory. Thanks,

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2023, 07:11:35 PM »
Unless I've missed it, I don't think that it is currently being produced in 40SW.  I'm guessing with the complications and the slow roll out it might be a while. From what I've heard DW is working hard trying to just keep up with production as is.

Right now the DW website doesn't even mention the DWX in 40SW, so it will probably be a while.

Offline sevt_chevelle

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2023, 06:57:29 PM »
I bought one of those new Smith and Wesson metal competitors back in early Dec 2022, a few weeks later I got the call I've waited 3yrs for.

Picked up my new DWX, and along with that Smith, took them out for a test drive.  That Smith only saw about 100rds and went up for sale.

The DWX fits my hand like a nice high-end broken in leather glove.  It's a great pistol, the craftsmanship is top notch, it out shines my tricked out S2.

I did pick up a TS2 orange in 40 last week, could've got a 9 but wanted something different.
Haven't shoot it yet but really curious on how it handles compared to the DWX.

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2023, 08:07:55 PM »
Glad the DWX is working out for you. It is a great gun.

I took my DWX out this past Sunday for it's first time to the range and I was blown away. The way it fits my hand, the accuracy, and really just everything about it is top notch. I see why Dan Wesson has such a good reputation, the workmanship and finish is absolutely perfect. I only put about 260 rounds through it, of various brands and bullet weights, but it handled them all without a singly hiccup.

I recently picked up a Sig P226 X-5 and was amazed at how it shot, but it's got serious competition with the DWX. The X-5 is a piece of art to look at and a fantastic shooter, but the DWX just flat out shoots. I'd be hard pressed to say which one is better.  I'm leaning toward the DWX, but I really need more time to decide. If this is any indication of  what to expect from Dan Wesson, mark me up right now for the DWX Compact.

@sevt_chevelle....you and I must have awfully similar tastes in handguns. I'm currently looking for a CZ TS2O, but in the meantime I'm trying to decide whether to pick up the S&W M&P Competitor. I was sort of intrigued by the looks of it and keep going back and forth on it. I know that it won't be anywhere as nice as the X-5 or the DWX, but the idea of a metal framed M&P interests me and for the most part it gets good reviews.

Let us know how the TS2O is after you've had a chance to take it to the range. There's no doubt in my mind that it will be great. I'm just interested in how you rate it against the DWX.

Offline sevt_chevelle

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »
The Smith competitor is a great looking pistol, but IMO it's not a 1000 dollar gun.  I just don't see or feel any difference between it and the poly framed version, and I much prefer S&W poly guns over CZ poly.

If Smith went with steel vs alloy, my opinion would change, I just don't know why they went alloy as it weighs less

Offline carman

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2023, 07:18:18 PM »
I recently picked up my DWX, looks and feels great.  Hope to get out to the range soon.