Author Topic: Newer Bonesteel M Lok hand guard  (Read 1400 times)

Offline MeatAxe

Newer Bonesteel M Lok hand guard
« on: October 04, 2022, 08:21:10 PM »
https://www.bonesteelarms.com/product/vz-58-srs-lower-hand-guard/

Pretty good - a lot lighter, narrower and more comfortable than the old picatinny cheese grater version.

Accepts M Lok and / or picatinny attachments.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 09:20:56 PM by MeatAxe »

Offline Howlin Mad

Re: Newer Bonesteel M Lok hand guard
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 07:27:57 PM »
Now if they would just make one without rails at all, just M-Lok.

Would be lighter, thinner, and lest costly to manufacture.

Everywhere else in the gun world they've given up on rails.

Offline RSR

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 04:29:58 AM »
Everywhere else in the gun world they've given up on rails.

Don't know that that's true.  Picatinny is still recognized as the strongest (general engineering) and most repeatable rail system (t markings) AFAIK. 

Point being there's a reason why picatinny still exists at least along top rail on most modern weapon systems/evolutions.

Offline RSR

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 04:36:29 AM »
https://www.bonesteelarms.com/product/vz-58-srs-lower-hand-guard/

Pretty good - a lot lighter, narrower and more comfortable than the old picatinny cheese grater version.

Accepts M Lok and / or picatinny attachments.

I don't have any gripes about its width but I do wish it was taller.  You can't C-clamp a Vz58 for extended shooting (too hot), so I like an AFG lower and GoGunRS2 on the side. 

To be clear, I haven't purchased and T&E-ed Gen 2 like Gen 1 (that I found both short and squat -- see archives), but I believe that Gen2 is still too short... Can probably use rail riser or similar on lower HG to mount AFG, but not ideal.

And the Bonesteel Gen2 with minimal squatness is really more of a benefit on AKs with charging handle to 90* right, than Vz58 w/ charging handle to 45* right...
And while I'm not 100% on it's AK install (looks like lower receiver interface might be anti-rotate), it also looks to lack the barrel clamp/repeateable rigidity on the AK versus, say a Midwest Industries rail, which is likely why listing states: "***Upper hand guard is not intended for mounting aiming devices.***"

And to be further clear, the VZ upper rail is for mounting aiming devices, unlike AKs...  So just noting.

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 07:50:27 AM »
And the Bonesteel Gen2 with minimal squatness is really more of a benefit on AKs with charging handle to 90° right, than Vz58 w/ charging handle to 45° right...
And while I'm not 100% on it's AK install (looks like lower receiver interface might be anti-rotate), it also looks to lack the barrel clamp/repeatable rigidity on the AK versus, say a Midwest Industries rail, which is likely why listing states: "***Upper hand guard is not intended for mounting aiming devices.***"

And to be further clear, the VZ upper rail is for mounting aiming devices, unlike AKs...  So just noting.
You can use the previous model Bonesteel “optics ready” picatinny upper hand guard, which cinches down with set screws, with the new M Lok lower, if that suits your application.

https://www.bonesteelarms.com/product/vz-58-optic-mount-upper-hand-guard/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 08:52:30 AM by Wobbly »

Offline RSR

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 02:09:36 AM »
You can use the previous model Bonesteel “optics ready” picatinny upper hand guard, which cinches down with set screws, with the new M Lok lower, if that suits your application.

https://www.bonesteelarms.com/product/vz-58-optic-mount-upper-hand-guard/

The BS Vz58 upper HG is exactly the same between gens AFAIK.

What I was referencing was that beyond the Vz58, the BS HGs for AK variants ARE NOT optics ready.  B/c the thin/minimal side profile nature of BS's HGs are to greatest benefit to 90* charging handle weapons like the AK, not the 45* CH Vz58.

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 08:30:43 PM »
The BS Vz58 upper HG is exactly the same between gens AFAIK.

What I was referencing was that beyond the Vz58, the BS HGs for AK variants ARE NOT optics ready.  B/c the thin/minimal side profile nature of BS's HGs are to greatest benefit to 90* charging handle weapons like the AK, not the 45* CH Vz58.

For some stupid reason, CNC Warrior’s ad for the new BS SRS Vz58 hand guard inferred that the upper was not suitable for optics. They need to change that.

Unfortunately, there aren’t many choices for a 922(r) compliant aluminum hand guard for the Vz58. Bonesteel / CNC Warrior is it, to my knowledge, and it does a decent job. Unfortunately, Midwest Industries doesn’t make one for the Vz58, though they make excellent, rock-solid hand guards for many other rifles.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 08:50:44 AM by Wobbly »

Offline RSR

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 03:51:17 PM »
For some stupid reason, CNC Warrior’s ad for the new BS SRS Vz58 hand guard inferred that the upper was not suitable for optics. They need to change that.

Unfortunately, there aren’t many choices for a 922(r) compliant aluminum hand guard for the Vz58. Bonesteel / CNC Warrior is it, to my knowledge, and it does a decent job. Unfortunately, Midwest Industries doesn’t make one for the Vz58, though they make excellent, rock-solid hand guards for many other rifles.

The most expensive Czech/Euro "military-grade" HGs for the Vz58 do have barrel clamps -- and it's really only a need if say, you're putting a laser designator on the lower HG for use at extended ranges.

That said, I think the lower HG install on Vz58s is actually more rigid than the AK (assuming neither with barrel clamp) due to the milled receiver (that can be shimmed against if needed) and ability to bend front lower HG holder to max tension, if you need it.  And bad breath civilian distances, I think you'd probably be ok w/ a laser designator on the Vz58 lower HG, though upper would definitely be best.

anything