Author Topic: I thought Green Tip was terrible?  (Read 2180 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
I thought Green Tip was terrible?
« on: October 16, 2022, 05:43:26 AM »
So today I was invited out to a range meet, and the BREN 2 went along. When I got a word in edgewise and actually got a bench, I decided to check the zero on my SIG BRAVO 3 prism scope. So into the bag I checked and what came out was...M855? GREEN TIP?!?!? I have heard that this is the single most inaccurate round ever devised...and there is the target laughing at me, 100 yards away from my 11 inch barrel...I knew I shoulda double checked what was in the bag...

So, after a little fiddling, started on the right of the target, over adjusted to the other side, corrected back...and I got this.

Wait...did I see that right?

I shot a few more groups, but with the relays of TONS of people out for Saturday shooting, I didn't get many, but this 5 shot is interesting. The black square is the aim point and at 100 yards it is a pinprick in the illuminated reticle of the BRAVO 3. Aim small, miss small, right? Called flyer on the left. Doesn't do anything but ruin a pretty good group.

Could it be conventional wisdom is wrong, and M855 CAN have some redeeming qualities after all, accuracy wise? After all, any good shooting is the result of the firearm, and bad shooting is all on me...like that dadgum flyer... 8) yes, the targets are from project Appleseed website - a great group I highly recommend to anyone who can go.
www.rwva.org

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: I thought Green Tip was terrible?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 06:19:51 AM »
My youngest son perfers the green tip 62 grain to the 55 grain FMJBT. 

He swears it shoots better in his rifle (20" HBAR clone.)

They say the Russian surplus 5.45X39 isn't very accurate (also has a steel core in it).  In my M&P15 (16" barrel) the Russian stuff shoots 4" wide by 5 to 6" tall groups at 300 yds.  I believe the height to width difference is in the SUIT optic on the rifle and trying to keep that pointed tip on the vertical pointer in the same spot on the target at that distance.

Lots of "conventional wisdom" available on the internet.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Crawl

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 08:55:22 AM »
That's a pretty decent group! There's enough precision their to really learn from. I bet you could tighten it up even more if you weren't being rushed. Very nice.

The M855 apparently IS less accurate, in general, because of a difference in the components. A DOD contact of mine has not made it clear if it's a difference in materials (for example the different metals being used creates a less stable projectile) or if it's a difference in QC when produced. But he did make it clear that, overall, M855 tends to be less accurate.

That being said, if a barrel is designed (chamber dimensions/barrel twist) around a particular cartridge, then that cartridge will have accuracy potential in that barrel.

Offline JGW006

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 06:52:10 PM »
If a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work (it is), then you had a good day at the range which must be better than a great day at work!

JGW

skin

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 02:48:31 AM »
 I've been shooting "green tip" 62 grain bullets for a while now. I've shot them through custom bolt and ar platforms. I've a bunch and really mean a bunch of ammo from IWI and LC. IWI seems to shoot better overall, but none shoot bad. All around 1 moa. Handloads are half of that. 62's and 55's shoot about the same groups. I believe that you can't go wrong with either.
 Good shooting!

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 03:15:23 AM »
Good Shooting!  8)   Glad you were able to get out to the Range!  :)

My AR15A2 HBAR Match seems to like the M855 Green Tip, and Lake City in particular.  M193, not so much, so I reserve those for my old Ruger Mini-14's.

AR15A2 HBAR Match
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 06:24:37 AM »
I am ordering some more to "further explore" at longer range. I think this BREN has far greater potential than I originally thought! 8)

Offline Fyrfyter

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 06:01:36 PM »
I've never used green tip but a friend swears by it.
Shadow 2
Shadow 2 Compact
SP-01
PCR
75 Police Model
P-01
Rami
85 Combat
P-10F
P-10C
P-10S
Bren 2 MS