Author Topic: P10c CGW firing pin light strikes  (Read 1342 times)

Offline The Principal

P10c CGW firing pin light strikes
« on: November 19, 2022, 06:46:03 AM »
I put a CGW p10C firing pin in. I also have a HB theta trigger in. I used the factory firing pin spring and ran it using 124gr. S&B. I had light strikes, about 1 per magazine. I put the OEM firing pin back with the reduced firing pin spring from HB and no more light strikes. I measured the length of the CGW pin and it is .02 mm shorter. I have read some getting light strikes with the theta trigger with S&B ammo, but I wasn’t having that issue until the new CGW pin. Their firing pin is a lot more robust than the original, with more mass. Anyone experience something similar. Thoughts?

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: P10c CGW firing pin light strikes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 07:26:25 AM »
In a striker gun, "light primer strikes" are a product of 3 things...
- Design of firing pin (length, weight, material)
- The firing pin spring
- The hardness (thickness) of the metal primer cup

• These items work in combination with each other, and not in a vacuum. You can't go "Light" on the pin/spring combo and then expect to use just any ammo. This can be problematic during ammo shortages when your "regular" brand of ammo maybe unavailable for long periods.

• The need for modified or light weight firing pins generally come from competition guns. But remember, the majority of shooting sports competitors load their own ammo and are therefore free to choose the exact primer cup thickness their gun requires.

• The thinnest US-made primer cups are known to be Federal. The thickest US-made primer cups are known to be CCI.

Bottom line is that you'll need to experiment with your firing pin/spring combination each time you change your ammunition.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline The Principal

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 07:31:48 AM »
Thank you for the insight, Wobbly!

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 08:07:28 AM »
Any trigger can stand some improvement. How much needs to be weighed against the intended use of the gun.

A one in ten FTF rate might be funny in a target gun when facing tin cans, or a might mare in an SD situation.

In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline The Principal

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 08:40:38 AM »
My main question had to do with the shorter length and if there was a need for a stronger firing pin spring, due to the increased mass of the new pin.

anything