Author Topic: "Poor" man's red dot solution for my CZ 75B  (Read 1902 times)

Offline texas yankee

"Poor" man's red dot solution for my CZ 75B
« on: November 21, 2022, 11:15:58 AM »
I didn't wanna spend a lot of money for a red dot and then spend more money getting the slide milled for my CZ 75B, so I went with the "poor" man's approach and got the following pieces - a Riton 3 TACTIX MPRD 2 from CDNN for $89, and a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro Dovetail mount plate  for $35 that fits into the existing rear sight dovetail on my CZ 75B and matches up nicely with the Riton's Shield / RMSc footprint.  I pushed out the CZ's rear sight, and the mount snugged up nicely on the CZ. 

I used another "poor" man's approach to zeroing in the red dot sight - a MidTen Laser Bore Sight Kit Multiple Caliber from Amazon for $20 - it works really well.

With the Riton red dot, I really liked the "shake awake" and "auto off" features, having forgotten to turn off a red dot several times and discovered the dead battery at the range.

I read how some folks have said that milling the slide for a specific sight footprint is preferred, versus a mounting plate, but this solution works for me, at least so far.

Offline AZ_GunGuy

Re: "Poor" man's red dot solution for my CZ 75B
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 12:25:46 PM »
All it means is your sight is further off the bore and less concielable.  Then there are potential reliability issues with a budget optic.  I'd say it's a perfectly fine setup for the range, but I'd hesitate to EDC it.
CZ Shadow 2 OR  - DPP, Armanov Grips, Toni Frame Weight + Thumb Rest
CZ P-10 C - CZC OR Upper, Romeo1Pro
Volquartsen Black Mamba 6" - Romeo1Pro, Ruger Target Grips
Glock 20 Gen 4 - Lone Wolf Threaded Barrel + Comp

Offline texas yankee

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 12:33:41 PM »
I should have mentioned that it's ONLY ever a range gun - I have an unmodified PCR that I  often use for CC.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 01:47:25 PM »
I’ve done this with 3 of my CZs: 75b, Phantom, 97b. They have all worked great. With my eyes it was sell them or become safe queens. Now I can still take them out and play. I would have liked to have a CZ with a factory cut slide with tall sights that would cowitness (packaged with a RDS would have been even better) but CZ marketing failed me. Love my Sigs and Caniks. Not going back. Not even sure why I keep the rest of the CZs, sentimental I guess.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Joe L

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 03:42:42 PM »
I shot Bullseye matches for several years with Burris FF3 red dots and dovetail mounts.  It's only since the P-10's were released that I have any milled slides.  And I have one dovetail mount and red dot that has been on three different pistols.  And, at 25 to 200 yards, the difference in height above the bore axis isn't nearly as big a problem as my eyesight! 
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline texas yankee

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 10:29:15 AM »
I've tried using some brightly colored nail polish (lime green, day-glow orange, etc.) on the front sight, and that worked OK some of the time - when it didn't clash with the nail polish I was wearing that day - but sometimes it was tough to pick up the front sight - I'm thinking that the red dow will help a lot.

anything