Author Topic: Quick range trip this morning to sight in a new optic on an AR  (Read 1338 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Quick range trip this morning to sight in a new optic on an AR
« on: December 13, 2022, 12:53:33 PM »
Nice drive.  Cloudy, cold (41 F) and I had the 25 yd. range all to myself.

It's one of those SLX 1 power optics from Primary Arms.  Got to worrying about battery optics failing when the battery or circuit elements die.  The SLX units have a laser etched reticle on a lens so even if the electric stuff dies you have a black reticle that works the same way.

Mine is green (following that green Holoson I put on the P07 a few months back, and liked).

However, I made a mistake this morning.  Didn't even think about the optic have a lighted green reticle when I grabbed a package of "green" targets from the shed.  Orange dots with everything else green.  The green lit optic just wiped out any chance of me seeing well with all those green lines on the target.  And the second issue was the orange dots were 1" in diameter and the SLX model I have is 1 power.  The orange dots in the center (one in the center and one near each corner) looked black/dark and I couldn't see the four around the corners at all (they're even smaller in diameter.  My mistake all the way around.  Next trip its different targets.

The rifle functioned perfectlyl.  The optic was close to usable with the power off so the reticle was black.  The issue, for me, was getting the point of the arrow in the same spot on that tiny dot every shot.  Sort of could do it on the center dots, not at all on the corner dots.  The optic would be fine out in a field somewhere and maybe in the woods (need to walk down to the creek out back and confirm that.

Worked the holes around from low left to low right, back to low center and then up with one shot before each adjustment.  Then shot a three shot one hole group and decided to go ahead and shoot two more for a five shot one hole group.  Should have stayed with 3 shots.  One of the next two went about 1" higher and the other went into the same hole with the first three shots. 

I said the rifle functioned fine but the optic was a PITB to twist the knobs and ocular lens adjustment on.  Liked to never got the switch knob turned on.  Same for the lens adjustment.  One of the things I like about this optic is it does have the option of adjusting it for my eyes (no glasses).  Most red dot style optics won't do that.  A rough adjustment at the house required more adjustment at the range (maybe due to the lower light levels this morning?)  Finally got it broke loose and it was easier to turn.

Oh, I'd say don't take red targets to the range with a red dot optic either.  Hadn't done that yet, but the possibility is there. ::)

AR has a 16" barrel, mid-length gas system, Magpul forend and A1 style fixed stock (I really like those). 
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline M1A4ME

Re: Quick range trip this morning to sight in a new optic on an AR
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 10:02:03 PM »
Well, bought a SIG 3X tip off magnifier to put on it.  Put it on, added the tall shim to get the magnifier aligned with the optic and it all looks good.

It's heavy, heavier than the darn optic.

Lesson learned.  A 1X optic isn't for me, not on a carbine.  While it may work well enough on a big target it's not right for small targets.

Next time, if I order another one, it'll be the 3X version, or maybe even the 5X version.  The optic was about the same price as the magnifier and together about $150 more than the 3X version of the optic.

Need to go shoot it, again, and see how it does with the magnifier.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

skin

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 10:28:33 PM »
 I've always felt better with a scope of some sorts. I have a eotech on my carbine, for out to 100 yds. Scopes for everything else.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 06:42:06 AM »
I've always felt better with a scope of some sorts. I have a eotech on my carbine, for out to 100 yds. Scopes for everything else.

I put those darn red dots on them.  I shoot them and the groups tell me a scope would be better.  I put a scope on them and the groups always improve.  I know lots of people are happy with "good enough" but I hate to give up anything in the group size or target ID areas.

I can tell you, from doing it, that walking around behind my house with a red dot optic and looking towards the fence line where the brush is growing up along that all I see is the tops of the brush and a dark area underneath.  Walk that same place with a good scope and I can see the tops of the brush and the briers, brush "trunks" and a rabbit now and then.  When the light isn't the best a good scope can "light" things up in the dark/shaded areas.

I do have some rifles with just red dot optics and back up sights on them.  They almost never go to the range with me though.  The rifles with the scopes do go to the range.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 01:57:11 PM »
I've always used red dots on modern carbines, until I put a SIG BRAVOI 3 prism scope on my CZ BREN 2. It takes a LOT of getting used to, but when I do my part, the thing will ring steel all day long.

anything