Author Topic: The dreaded muzzle thread protector - why no WARNING  (Read 4584 times)

Online briang2ad

The dreaded muzzle thread protector - why no WARNING
« on: December 24, 2022, 12:42:39 PM »
There are MANY videos of people with near catastrophic results of shooting the EVO with the thread protector on resulting is shooting it off and damaging the muzzle device, etc.  Why doesn't CZ tell you this - like a little flag warning you of such, and why no sticky on this site? 

As I understand it, even loctite won't keep it on.  I have a rubber oring on it, but may still take it off before shooting.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: The dreaded muzzle thread protector - why no WARNING
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 01:00:02 PM »
Don't know about an EVO but I use the orings on three 9MM pistols (M&P 2.0 5", P01 Omega UG and the Pre CZ85( and never had the thread protector work loose.

Orings are different.  I know I have some that are a little bit smaller diameter (no idea what it is).  not the diameter of the oring from one side to the other, but the diameter of the polymer the oring is made from, and those are small enough the thread protector starts to thread down over them and start to cover them under the back/flange of the thread protector. 

The others are the same ID of the smaller ones but the diameter of the oring material is larger and if you keep turning the thread protector they will start to push down the barrel.  Either one seems to work but the thread protector seems to "lock in place harder" with the smaller one the thread protector starts to cover up.  I'm guessing the rear surface/flange of the thread protector begins to squeeze the oring into the threads on the barrel and pinch it down tighter.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 01:51:42 PM »
What is the issue that people can’t get it locked down? Didn’t they leave a shoulder to use a crush washer or what.
How did CZ attach the faux suppressor? In some models I’ve heard that these back off, while others can’t get them off.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Online briang2ad

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 02:58:45 PM »
CZ puts them on LOOSE.  They sit underneath the indexed faux flash device loosely and it’s just waiting to shoot off underneath it.  Another added expense but worse it WILL create havoc.  No warning from CZ.  Huge oversight.

Offline George16

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 07:12:24 PM »
If it’s loose, tighten it.

Since you already know and saw MANY videos about it, then tighten, shoot and enjoy the bleep thing >:(.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 10:33:29 AM by George16 »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 07:18:23 PM »
Briang2ad...you've got to be CZ's most loyal disgruntled customer. I'm hoping the new year brings you much gruntlement and a new CZ or two to keep you grounded. ;)

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 08:52:40 AM »
Where's my "Like" button !  ;D
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Online briang2ad

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2022, 01:16:41 PM »
My point is why no warning?  Dumb and dumber.  I have a Smith Vortex on the way.  Took the muzzle wrecker off.

There are plenty of posts about people shooting off the temp one, some as I wrote tried to tighten and lock tite them.  Keep in mind that you are limited on torque with 9mm. 

I love CZs obviously, but to ignore stupid is not my game:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 03:31:07 PM by briang2ad »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2022, 04:58:17 PM »
I realize that everything sold in the state of California could cause cancer. 

One reason not to move there.  O0

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 08:34:05 AM »
My friend, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Old Jed and Granny Clampett were fools.

Yes, but they moved there when Ronald Reagan was governor, and you were still allowed to ride in a rocker perched on top of your car without wearing a seat belt. Now, all that causes cancer.... everything.... including Ron and Nancy.

Online briang2ad

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 02:51:57 PM »
As mentioned, CZ has stopped using that style nut on the newer guns.  They addressed the complaints and discontinued them entirely and ceased selling them..,   

Obviously mine is very new and came with it.

Offline Tiger2Tank

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2022, 05:41:00 PM »
What O rings are you all using to secure the thread protector.  True, you can’t loctite it on. 

Online MeatAxe

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2022, 05:49:09 PM »
Is yours the latest gen or just new to you?

I ask because every pic of the models I see on cz's website, none of them have the flash hider you're referring to on them except the older models.

While I agree, the 2 piece flash hider was stupid, I'm not seeing it on the newer models.

https://cz-usa.com/product-category/scorpionbren/

That’s the EVO 3+ Pistol with the longer 7.8” barrel and a fake suppressor that requires a pin wrench to remove.

I believe CZ has done away with the 18x1 muzzle threads on the 3+ which now just has the standard 5.56 caliber AR15 1/2”x28 pitch — which is also weird because the standard pitch for a 9mm AR15 is 1/2”x36!!! This creates more confusion when you try to find a 9mm muzzle device with a 1/2”x28 pitch — obviously you don’t want to make a mistake and put a standard 5.56 AR15 muzzle device on your  9mm Scorpion barrel or you’ll have worse problems than the loose thread protector!!!

So, not only should CZ have warned about the loose thread protector, they should have used a 1/2”x36 pitch on the muzzle. No doubt we’re gonna have people blow up their guns by squeezing a 9mm bullet through a 5.56mm 1/2”x28 muzzle device!!!

Stupid of CZ — yeah, there ought to be a stickie on all this BS.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 12:52:05 PM by MeatAxe »

Online briang2ad

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2022, 08:03:25 AM »
Mine is the gen you can actually buy - older than the 'new gen' that is unobtanium.  The 1/2" thread on the end was an interim step to let you use the ubiquitous thread pattern, so I can understand them doing it, but again, why not just warn people to either tighten in down with a certain amount of torque (this is in ONE HBI video talked about briefly), and use a certain type of thread locker, etc., or ditch it.  The way it is issued is absurd without some instructions for the less than experienced user.  You have to stumble into it searching vids. 

And... why no sticky here? 

Online briang2ad

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2022, 06:22:58 PM »

Most adults don't need warning stickers or labels if they think something is wrong or needs changed.  Just change the darned thing.  Problem solved.

Roger - "which way to point the weapon" or "read the instructions" in billboard fashion are useless. But this is a device that is basically hidden inside another muzzle device, that if not loctited, torqued, or locked in with a proper o-ring, has a high probability to shoot the provided device which is a real hazard.

This is not simply about changing out a non-preferred part - its about a hidden hazard. 

And... my sticky comment is about this site - so quite appropriate to ask right here - why no sticky?