Author Topic: Normal black polycoat finish?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Sulpgnir

Normal black polycoat finish?
« on: March 01, 2023, 01:41:36 PM »
Is this normal black polycoat finishing or finishing defect?  It is uneven throughout the frame.  Just curious.

Offline alp3367

Re: Normal black polycoat finish?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 02:19:51 PM »
 I'd say that's fairly normal. However, are you certain that is not oil residue?

Offline Sulpgnir

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 03:32:02 PM »
I am certain that it is not oil residue. 

That's what I thought at first, then I wiped it down, still looked like that.

Offline alp3367

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 03:57:45 PM »
I am certain that it is not oil residue. 

That's what I thought at first, then I wiped it down, still looked like that.

Did you wipe it down with something like isopropyl alcohol or did you just wipe it down?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 04:06:32 PM »
Wipe it down with an oily rag and see how it looks after that.

Offline Sulpgnir

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 04:23:34 PM »
Did you wipe it down with something like isopropyl alcohol or did you just wipe it down?

Wipe it down with an oily rag and see how it looks after that.

I wiped it down with an oily rag first, then wiped off the excess with a lint-free microfiber cloth.

I did not use any isopropyl or solvent solution.

Offline alp3367

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 04:54:26 PM »
 You might try using isopropyl alcohol or something to actually remove most of the oil. Pores in surfaces like polycoat (and many other types of finishes) can be weird about how they retain oil. It looks like retained oil to me in the picture. But that's just a picture and it's hard to tell. Wouldn't surprise me much if that's what the polycoat looks like. It's a pretty utilitarian finish (and it's good for that), not always 100% uniform.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 05:17:13 PM »
It seems (I could be wrong) that a painted/dipped surface coating wouldn't need oil to protect the finish/metal like bluing or parkerizing does.

But I still wipe mine down with an oily cloth (yeah, a rag) when ever I clean it or put it away in the box for some reason.  And, on some guns, holster wear has worn completely through the polycoat showing bare metal and that will rust if not oiled/wiped.

I don't really recall a finish looking spotty after wiping it down with that oily cloth, but I don't wipe off the excess either.  I just wipe it down good and put it away.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Sulpgnir

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 06:10:24 PM »
It seems (I could be wrong) that a painted/dipped surface coating wouldn't need oil to protect the finish/metal like bluing or parkerizing does.

But I still wipe mine down with an oily cloth (yeah, a rag) when ever I clean it or put it away in the box for some reason.  And, on some guns, holster wear has worn completely through the polycoat showing bare metal and that will rust if not oiled/wiped.

I don't really recall a finish looking spotty after wiping it down with that oily cloth, but I don't wipe off the excess either.  I just wipe it down good and put it away.

You might try using isopropyl alcohol or something to actually remove most of the oil. Pores in surfaces like polycoat (and many other types of finishes) can be weird about how they retain oil. It looks like retained oil to me in the picture. But that's just a picture and it's hard to tell. Wouldn't surprise me much if that's what the polycoat looks like. It's a pretty utilitarian finish (and it's good for that), not always 100% uniform.

Thank you gents for the heads up.  I will try the isopropyl alchohol and report back.  I just picked it up from the LGS last week.

Offline Sulpgnir

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 07:55:27 PM »
You might try using isopropyl alcohol or something to actually remove most of the oil. Pores in surfaces like polycoat (and many other types of finishes) can be weird about how they retain oil. ......

Thanks alp3367 for your insights on the polycoat and how they retain oil.  I cleaned the area with isopropyl alcohol and removed the factory oil.  Now the finish looks even and smooth  :)

Before

After

Offline schutz85C

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 01:21:25 AM »
Interesting. I never noticed blotches on mine after oil rag wipe downs.
My bad eyes probably!
CZ 85 Combat, NRA Lifer.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 05:06:07 AM »
Interesting. I never noticed blotches on mine after oil rag wipe downs.
My bad eyes probably!
I always give mine a wipe down with an oily rag as a matter of normal cleaning and none of them show any such blotches. Must be a rough spot in the Polycote that holds more oil in that section. I Know they have inconsistencies in the Polycote sometimes. One of my compacts has a very thin finish in comparison to some of my other CZ's. This is nothing more than epoxy paint so there's that.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 09:29:15 AM »
Good results!

Offline alp3367

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 04:57:49 PM »

Thanks alp3367 for your insights on the polycoat and how they retain oil.  I cleaned the area with isopropyl alcohol and removed the factory oil.  Now the finish looks even and smooth  :)

My pleasure, happy to help. As an aside I've handled hundreds of handguns with many different types of finishes and this phenomenon is common to just about all of them. 

Offline Johnny Chimpo

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 10:34:54 AM »
Last thing I care about is the finish.  It's going to get holster wear soon enough.