Author Topic: 550 Cracked stock  (Read 1769 times)

Mballistic

550 Cracked stock
« on: November 23, 2003, 09:00:29 PM »
I bought 416 Rigby  550 Safari magnum in August of this year. As I was cleaning the rifle today I noticed the stock was cracked at the fore end down to the front of the floor plate.  I am going to call CZ tomorrow, but in the meantime has anyone else experienced this problem?  I should mention there is only 40 rounds through this beast.
Thanks,
Jeff

Offline Fred Flinstone

550 Cracked stock
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 03:15:09 AM »
Hi Mballistic,

Your stock should be covered by CZ-USA(if in U.S.) or other distr. warranty within your given country for 1 year(if I remember well).

CZ rifles of big calibers are mfgr. with a cross-bolt reinforcing the stock.

Mauser 98's were reinforced by cross-bolts (only in big calibers) since 1898, big hard-kicking calibers were also reinforced by 2 cross-bolts: 1- was put to withstand the recoil behind the rear of the supporting lug on lower receiver. 2- was put in the rear to reinforce (behind the mag. well: if I'm not mistaking).Brno did this also for number of years, they also added a forearm screw which prevents the barrelled action from flipping(for lack of proper term) from the wood stock. If somebody would remove the forearm screw stock would be damaged.

CZ kept the forearm screw concept and withdrew the 2 cross-bolt reinforcement screws. These 2 reinforcement screws were replaced by just one near the rear of the stock tang (where the rear of the receiver joins the stock).

A wise move is to have 2 other cross-bolt(available thru Brownell in Magnum configuration/longer screws) installed by a gunsmith like Mausers were, properly installed with a bedding job should insure a lifetime of a stocks life.

Offline Fred Flinstone

550 Cracked stock
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 06:02:46 PM »
Which area did your stock fail?:eek

Mballistic

550 Cracked stock
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 07:37:26 PM »
Thanks for the info.  CZ told me to send the rifle in to them.  If it is neccessary to bed the stock and add crossbolts that would indicate a design flaw by CZ.
I own a Belgian Browning Safari Grade in .458 W.M.  The rifle was built in 1959.  It has double cross bolts through the stock.  I have put over 1000 rounds through this rifle and NO cracks.
The stock is cracked from the left side of the forearm down through the checkering to the front of the floor plate.
First thing I checked were the screws.  All were tight.
Don't get the wrong impression I LOVE these rifles.  I own a 527 in .19 Calhoon, a 527 in .19-223 Calhoon, a 527 in 7.62X39, a 452 American in .17HMR, and a 6.5X55Swede FS.
No problems with any of them.
Take care,
Jeff

anything