Author Topic: I made it back!  (Read 1895 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
I made it back!
« on: May 03, 2023, 11:03:05 PM »
We'll just say FMLA is NOT a vacation, but I finally did make it out to the range, in between appointments and such. No, t'ain't me.

This time, I felt like the Holy Black was calling me, and my trusty, though dusty Uberti Remington New Model Army clone went with me and some paper cartridges to the range. Da Boy was shooting his .54 caliber smokepole next to me...everyone else left. Dunno why...
Yes, that is a CCI snakeshot box - works halfway decently as a revolver paper cartridge box until I get the real thing.

Tell ME the old smoke wagons aren't accurate! OK, so it WAS only 10 yards...two hand standing.

Then, after a couple of cylinderfulls of the smoke grenades, to keep it a CZ kinda day, I ripped off 50 with the P-10C EDC at the same  range, drawing from concealment only, and the last 10 weak hand only. Everything was on paper...but I was NOT impressed. I used to go shooting once a week - now lucky to go once a month.

*sigh* Oh well.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: I made it back!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 03:19:02 AM »
Glad you had a good day at the Range!  8)  :)  I find that Uberti Remington New Model Army clone to be quite impressive!

I try to make it out to my Club's Pistol Range as often as I can, but it's turning out to be just once a Month.
I no longer have access to a Rifle Range, but I'm hoping to fix that, soon.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 08:06:19 AM »
That's some good shootin' there, Tex  (or is it Slim?)

Really, lots of folks can't do that with their modern guns and ammo.

Do you practice shooting a round and then moving left/right to make the next shot while the smoke cloud covers your move?  I can't forget Last of the Mohicans where they'd shoot those rifled muskets and when the smoke cleared enough for the other guy to shoot back they wouldn't be there.  Shoot, move, either reload from cover or go to the knife/tomahawk and move closer to engage.  Don't know if that's how they did it back then, but it worked for them in the movie.

Do you have an extra cylinder, or two, for the revolver?  Years ago I remember reading about some people carrying extra loaded cylinders in leather pouches on their belt.  Like very early speed loaders.  Quicker to swap cylinders than to reload a cylinder in the revolver.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 08:21:07 AM »
Nice day at the range and great shooting.
I use some of those snake shot shell boxes too. the dividers are good for small tools brushes patches etc.
Ironically the only pistol I had that will cycle those 9mm shotshells is the Keltec PF9 - I took that think on the river and it would shoot a whole mag np. The trigger sucks on those PF9s though and it was soon traded for a KAHR CM9 which does not cycle the shotshells, but has a way better trigger.
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 05:45:15 PM »
Not a black powder gun but it is a revolver and was my snake shot gun while wading the rivers smallmouth bass fishing or walking the edges of fields/pastures groundhog hunting (40 years ago).  Ruger stainless Speed Six with a bobbed hammer (did it myself) and 2&3/4" .357 magnum barrel.

Six snake loads in the gun (for the snake encounter trips) and two speedloaders of 125 grain hollow points for the non snake encounters.  On duty (winter tine) it was carried in my right duty coat pocket with the speed loaders in the left pocket.  Summer time carry it was in my right front pants pocket.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 03:11:25 AM »
Very nice Ruger Speed Six you have there, M1A4ME!  8)

I have the Blued Finish version, chambered for .38 Special with Pachmayr Gripper Grips.

S&W M&P .38 Special
Ruger Speed Six .38 Special
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 06:12:49 AM »
OP, how does that stainless revolver hold up to black powder use?  I mean the corrosion issues with black powder use.  Do you clean it with hot water after a shooting session?  I guess where you live the climate is less likely to be an accelerant for corrosion issue like it would be in places with lots of rain and high humidity.

I know the Ruger held up very well to the way it was carried back in those days.  It frequently got wet or even submerged and I just bring it home, quickly tear it apart (easy with the speed six design) and put the parts on a cookie sheet in the over at 200 F while I took a  shower and shaved (worked evening shift).  I'd pull it out, let it cool off enough to handle the parts, put some oil on the parts and put them back together before loading it, sticking it in my pocket and walking to work.

I've often wondered about the stainless black powder guns.

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 02:21:30 PM »
Holy smokes!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 06:58:08 PM »
That's some good shootin' there, Tex  (or is it Slim?)

Really, lots of folks can't do that with their modern guns and ammo.

Do you practice shooting a round and then moving left/right to make the next shot while the smoke cloud covers your move?  I can't forget Last of the Mohicans where they'd shoot those rifled muskets and when the smoke cleared enough for the other guy to shoot back they wouldn't be there.  Shoot, move, either reload from cover or go to the knife/tomahawk and move closer to engage.  Don't know if that's how they did it back then, but it worked for them in the movie.

Do you have an extra cylinder, or two, for the revolver?  Years ago I remember reading about some people carrying extra loaded cylinders in leather pouches on their belt.  Like very early speed loaders.  Quicker to swap cylinders than to reload a cylinder in the revolver.

No, I just waited until the smoke cloud cleared enough to see the target again.  ;D  If I am having to defend myself with this revolver, things have REALLY gone downhill...and yes, I have a spare cylinder pouch on the belt, but I haven't convinced myself I need to drop $200 on a spare cylinder, unless I take this on a muzzleloading hunt.
You also asked about cleaning - hot soapy water works wonders on black powder residue, dunk, swish, then clean normally, and make sure you oil everything. No, no corrosion if you clean soon. Black powder fouling is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts moisture, so you do want to clean up, if not that night, then the naxt day.
AS for what is the snake gun? An old Rossi 885 snub 38 Special.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 06:48:48 AM »
My study got all hazy and smelled bad after opening up this thread this morning. 
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

cavelux

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 12:38:32 PM »
i  am happy for you

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 01:30:23 AM »
My study got all hazy and smelled bad after opening up this thread this morning.
Sorry, bad tacos...

Offline warriorgeez

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 11:56:36 AM »
That's a sexy beast.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 01:39:37 AM »
Tried some more paper cartridges, this time with wax lube. Turns out I didn't dilute it enough with olive oil, and a lot of the wax cracked off. However, with the wax lube and a little Bore Butter on the cylinder pin, functioning was great. Not as good, accuracy wise, but still acceptable for this old smoke wagon.

No, you aren't seeing things, there is only five in the first target - cap fell off while some random young lady asked to do video of the fat old guy and the hand cannon. When I found out, I put another cap on and the ball went down the bore without a problem.

This wheelgun is really a lot of fun to shoot, and using hot soapy water, it's really easy to clean.