Author Topic: CZ 75 Compact Recoil Spring Assembly  (Read 751 times)

Offline ARtexas

CZ 75 Compact Recoil Spring Assembly
« on: May 19, 2023, 08:51:49 AM »
I've got a question on the recoil spring assembly for my CZ 75 Semi-Compact.  I bought this pistol used, so I don't know what's original and what's not.  This is my first CZ 75 with a Compact slide, and it came with an interesting recoil spring assembly.  It has a metal guide rod and 2 recoil springs, one inner spring and one outer spring.  Is this normal?  I've looked for new recoil springs for Compacts, and all I can find are single springs that are flat springs.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 07:14:36 AM by Wobbly »

Offline Crawl

Re: CZ 75 Compact Recoil Spring Assembly
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 09:08:40 AM »
The 16-lb flat wire spring is the OEM part in my compact. Mine has a problem with worse than average muzzle flip, so I ended up having to use a spring that looks like the bigger spring in your photo...it was a Wolff spring. 22 lbs

Never heard of anyone using 2 springs like that.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline Born2vette

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 09:31:36 AM »
My Massada has the same double recoil spring. I have no replaced it as it appears almost new and and brass ejects consistently about 10’.  I would imagine the flat wire for the current compact should work fine but have not tried. They are cheap ($5 from CZ-USA + shipping) so may be worth a try.
SP-01 Tactical
75 D PCR fully Cajunized
2075 Rami B, 85 trigger/reach reduction kit
75 SC Massada
97 B CGW reach reduction kit/‘flat’ trigger/race hammer
457 Varmint MTR
P-07

Offline mkd

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 04:57:07 PM »
my P-01 has the stock recoil spring as well and it is the flat wire spring.

Offline ARtexas

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 07:12:53 PM »
Thanks everyone!  It's good to know that my recoil spring assembly is most likely factory original.  It's also good to know that there are a few options available for replacements, with either the OEM flat recoil springs or the Wolff springs.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 06:20:41 AM »
CZ seems to make runs of models for customer specifications that end up all over the world.

They likely put some odd combinations together to meet their customers' requirements.

I have an old CZ75 Compact what has this wound coil spring on the recoil spring guide.  Sort of like the springs in some AK47's.  Awhile back another member on the forum here showed pictures of his CZ75 Compact and it had a similar recoil spring on it.  The other two CZ75 Compacts I've bought had the standard flat spring set up.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline A.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 01:43:59 PM »
Let me guess: your semicompact CZ is vintage 1992-1993. Two springs setup was factory standart back then.
Modern flat spring will not work with your metal guide rod. You will need to buy plastic guide rod for the flat spring.
Round wire modern recoil spring from Cajun gun works will work perfect:
https://cajungunworks.com/product/14rsc-14-music-wire-conventional-round-wire-recoil-spring/

Offline Born2vette

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 02:34:19 PM »
Let me guess: your semicompact CZ is vintage 1992-1993. Two springs setup was factory standart back then.
Modern flat spring will not work with your metal guide rod. You will need to buy plastic guide rod for the flat spring.
https://cajungunworks.com/product/14rsc-14-music-wire-conventional-round-wire-recoil-spring/

Mine is a 1993 and not looking to replace at this time but do you know if the flat wire will work with a (edit: cajun) stainless steel guide rod in a SC?
SP-01 Tactical
75 D PCR fully Cajunized
75 SC Massada
457 Varmint MTR
P-07

Offline A.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 02:49:07 PM »

Mine is a 1993 and not looking to replace at this time but do you know if the flat wire will work with a (edit: cajun) stainless steel guide rod in a SC?

Yes

Offline ARtexas

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 03:50:00 PM »
Thanks for letting me know that I would need a new guide rod to use the flat springs.  That is important info to have!

I sent an email to CZ to ask when this particular serial number was made, and they told me the Production Date was 5/2/2007.  But if Born2vette has a Massada that has the same type recoil spring assembly, and his was made in 1993, then I wonder if CZ gave me the wrong production date.

Offline A.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 08:23:22 PM »
Thanks for letting me know that I would need a new guide rod to use the flat springs.  That is important info to have!

I sent an email to CZ to ask when this particular serial number was made, and they told me the Production Date was 5/2/2007.  But if Born2vette has a Massada that has the same type recoil spring assembly, and his was made in 1993, then I wonder if CZ gave me the wrong production date.

The production year is stamped on the slide above extractor!

Offline A.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2023, 08:26:55 PM »
Or post the serial #, the date range will be easy to guess.
Dual spring setup was factory standart in 1992-1993, after that it was single round wire spring.

Offline Born2vette

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2023, 10:13:09 PM »
SP-01 Tactical
75 D PCR fully Cajunized
75 SC Massada
457 Varmint MTR
P-07

Offline ARtexas

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2023, 10:52:30 PM »
Thanks!  I didn’t know the significance of the rollmark above the extractor.  It looks like 92.  The 2 is very clear, but the mark before it is very faint.  Looks like it could be the top of a 9.

So a 1992 date would match the timeframe of the recoil spring assembly that I have.  That’s weird that CZ told me 2007.

Offline A.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2023, 08:01:43 AM »
Thanks!  I didn’t know the significance of the rollmark above the extractor.  It looks like 92.  The 2 is very clear, but the mark before it is very faint.  Looks like it could be the top of a 9.

So a 1992 date would match the timeframe of the recoil spring assembly that I have.  That’s weird that CZ told me 2007.

Who are you going to believe - CZ or your own eyes?