Author Topic: Trigger Job - Is It Worth It?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline GaryXD

Trigger Job - Is It Worth It?
« on: June 09, 2005, 05:10:30 AM »
I was reading on the other CZ forum about a guy that had just got a trigger job on his SA. He had gotten the hard sear, new hammer, and trigger. I asked him the cost of this job and he responded $270 plus shipping. There is no doubt my SA needs a trigger job. There is no doubt I would shoot better with a trigger job. BUT I'm sure you could never recover this expense when you sell the gun. Also my gun only cost $349 in the first place. Trigger job would be 77% of the price of the gun. I could almost buy another gun with what I would spend on a trigger job. So my question is, is it worth it?

Offline dow

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 06:44:27 AM »
Well, that is a pretty good chunk of money, but I believe that he said that was for a lot of extras.  Here's a quote from the original post:

Quote:
...I got the action job super deluxe: Angus Hammer, Angus trigger, MGW Custom hard sear, Wolff extractor and 19# main springs. Stoned, deburred & polished all action parts and on and on. Folks, I gotta tell ya - this gun is the bee's knees. Crisp 2-1/2 lb trigger with very little pretravel, no overtravel and absolutely zero creep...

Miossi charges much less than that for a regular action job.  Regular means that he uses the parts that came with the gun, where in this case a lot of after market parts were used.

Here's a quote from Miossi's page where he describes his action job workover:

Quote:
Trigger Job vs. Action Job

Trigger jobs and action jobs differ in many ways.  A trigger job for most gunsmiths only involves stoning the proper angles on the sear and hammer, lowering the hammer hooks and changing out the mainspring.  Once the desired pull weight and let off are achieved they are done.  

An action job involves all moving parts of the gun, deburing the frame and parts, removing tool marks and then polishing all the parts. The last thing done on an action job is to stone the sear and hammer, lowering the hammer hooks and changing out the mainspring if desired.  This includes the firing pin and firing pin block, hammer strut, trigger and trigger bar, disconnector, pins, hammer sides, and sear sides.  All of these parts need a lower friction coefficient for a smoother feeling trigger pull and to ensure that nothing is hindering or taking away the full force of the actual strike of the firing pin against the chambered round.  A trigger job is easy and not all that time consuming but an action job requires attention to the smallest detail and is very time consuming and labor intensive.  

There is a big difference between the two, and we only do action jobs.  Make sure that your gun gets a true action job, whoever does the work.

And a price quote from his webpage for the action jobs:

Quote:
Action Job with stock parts labor only   *                                                                      $95.00

Action Job with Miossi Gun Works Custom Hard Sear labor only  *                                   135.00                                    

Install extra power extractor spring and tune extractor                                                   $20.00

Install sights labor only                                                                                                $25.00

Convert to SA with out action job labor only                                                                 $50.00

Smooth & radius trigger                                                                                              $15.00

Bevel Mag well & cold blue                                                                                          $35.00

* tune extractor and install extra power extractor spring included

So in answer to your question, I probably wouldn't spend $270 for an action job, but then again, I wouldn't be ordering all of the add-ons that the original poster got, either.  As for Jim's work, I haven't seen it, but he comes VERY highly recommended, also he's one of the few people who specialize in CZ's.  If I were to have him do work for me, I'd almost certainly spring for the action job with the custom sear for $135.00.  I'd say that would be money well spent, especially if you shoot your gun a whole lot, where sear wear would be a factor.

Standard disclaimers apply:  I don't know Jim Miossi.  I've never seen his work, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once. :rollin :rollin

P. S.  You can view Jim's webpage and learn all of this for yourself here: www.miossigunworks.com/

Offline GaryXD

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 06:56:18 AM »
The $135 doesn't include the cost of the sear. That's an additional $43 I think. Also I don't think I would get a trigger job and leave the original PLASTIC trigger in the gun.

Offline dow

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 07:25:06 AM »
Quote:
Also I don't think I would get a trigger job and leave the original PLASTIC trigger in the gun.

Your trigger is PLASTIC?  Mine's steel.  I've never seen a plastic trigger on anything more powerful than a water pistol.  As a matter of fact, the only thing I've run across on my Rami that isn't steel is the frame (aluminum) and the grip panels (rubberized plastic stuff), both of which I knew about when I bought the gun.  Which model CZ do you have?

Offline GaryXD

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 09:05:02 AM »
CZ-75B SA 9mm

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 03:39:32 PM »
A number of CZ-75B SA came with plastic triggers.  They generally worked as well as steel, but a few broke.  CZ would replace them with steel ones when that happened, but wouldn't do so, otherwise.  You could buy a steel one, if you wanted it.

There are two steel triggers:  1) adjustable for overtravel, only, and 2) adjustable for take up and overtravel.  If you're buying one, be sure to get the second one.   Both are usable ONLY with the 75B SA -- for if they are installed in a DA gun, it is no longer DA...

And in answer to the original question: is it worth it.  

Not unless you shoot competitively and are good enough to take advantage of the extra edge it offers.  

A standard action job from Jim Miossi (which is a very good action job) would be more than sufficient.  Angus' work is probably just as good, but he has added a number of extra things that the average joe (like most of us) can't use to the fullest advantage.  

Gives you great bragging rights, though.

nanyah

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 06:51:02 PM »
I have a Hk USP Expert .45, and it has a plastic trigger.  I don't mind it.  My 75SA also has a plastic trigger, but I did spring for the metal one.

Offline dow

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 07:15:24 PM »
Wow. you learn something every day, don't you.  I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of a plastic trigger on a real gun.  Entirely too strange.  

I'd probably spring for a new trigger too.  Sorry to have doubted you.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 04:25:47 AM »
Hey.  My Glock 34 has a plastic trigger, too!  While I'm not crazy about the trigger, the gun is super accurate and I shoot it ver well in competition.   Plastic isn't always bad.