Author Topic: Complete disassembly of the 75 - have questions  (Read 2543 times)

Offline bps2799

Complete disassembly of the 75 - have questions
« on: May 31, 2002, 07:52:57 AM »
First, will standard size punches work?  Or do I need some metric sized ones?  Some with cupped ends also, maybe?

Next, what order do I need to remove them in?

I assume that the main spring should be removed first (I am this far).

I am unsure how to remove the safety (does it need to be driven out?) as well as the hammer pin (has that little vertical pin on the left side -- #19 in the schematic above, I guess, protecting it).

Offline bps2799

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2002, 08:05:35 AM »
I just found some directions on the B model (I have a pre-B), that I'll try tonight.

As soon as I get this done, I'm going to strip the enamel off and get the gun blued.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2002, 10:57:18 AM »
Let us know what works best in removing the paint.

Bluing is a pretty finish, but not very durable.  For a little more you might want to consider a plated finish.

(Bluing is, in the final analysis, nothing more than a controlled form of rusting that limits -- only somewhat -- the metal's propensity to rust.  It scratches easily, is not corrosion resistant, and doesn't like humidity or moisture.  Plating -- Hardchrome or nickel, shiney or mat -- tends to be much more practical.  You can also look at the space-age spray on finishes, or as suggested elsewhere, here, GunKote, which you can do yourself.)

Offline bps2799

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2002, 11:32:17 AM »
I just don't want to have to send the gun out anywhere is why I'll try bluing, which I should be able to get done somewhere here in 'Bama.

I'm always afraid I won't get it back when I send it across state lines.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2002, 07:16:42 PM »
If you send it to a reputable firm and insure the shipping, you're no more at risk than giving it to somebody in your own state.  (Just because you think you can go pound on their door doesn't mean you'll get the gun back...)

I've done a lot of business with out of state firms.   I wouldn't hesitate.  The only reason I don't use an out-of-state gunsmith is that I've got a good one locally.  But he doesn't do refinishing.

(Many of the smiths don't do bluing; they'll farm the work out to another 'smith.)

Offline Bubba

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2002, 07:09:05 AM »
bps2799,
There was a posting awhile back where one of our senior members, Steven Camp, wrote instructions for detail stripping the 75B.
This is the link address:  pub69.ezboard.com/fczechp...D=12.topic

Offline bps2799

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2002, 09:29:31 AM »
Thanks for the info.

My biggest problem was that I buggered the hole around the trigger pin when my punch slipped.  I sanded the metal a bit to get the marks out, but there's a small nick in the side of the hole.

I broke two punches getting this pin out, so I ordered some goodies from Brownell's I hope will help next time.

Also, the detent came out of the safety, and it doesn't look like fun trying to get it back in.